[NA] Android phone, Pinyin keyboard, how to enter tones?

Cap'n Jack

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cap'n Jack
I want to type something, for instance, 嗨 (hai1, hāi), which is "Hi"

Is there anyway to do that with an Android phone? The alternative is to type "hai", then open the list of characters to find the one I want, and sometimes choose the wrong one.

An unusual question, but maybe someone here knows.

Thanks!

If you have an English (or essentially any non-Chinese) set up, it's going to be tedious.
On the other hand, you can install the Google plugin for Chinese entry https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.inputmethod.pinyin&hl=en
Thanks. I have something installed from Google that does an Ok job, and lets me swipe the space key to choose keyboards- I can type untoned pinyin and get a choice of letters; I found that I can enter a "v" to get "ǚ" and I'm looking for other keycodes for other tones.

I will try your suggestion though. Thanks for the advice!

I have friends overseas and I'm (slowly) learning to converse in Chinese too. Pinyin is a way for me to learn the tones, and an entry path to the Chinese characters.
Apple handles the tones well. The default pinyin Android keyboard....either not so well, or I haven't learned how to use it yet, I'm assuming the latter.

Back