[NA] Airprint to networked printers

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I have a half dozen printers networked in my office and we need to be able to print from our phones.
Not sure what details to offer
Android & Apple phones
All office otters are PC

Do the printers have wireless capability?
What vendors on the printers? Canon, Brother, HP, ???

Dell
HP
I’ll check the wireless capability.
You are thinking phone to printer via wifi? BT?
I was thinking phone->server->all networked printers
Or phone->(imagined) dongle->network

Only solution I got is for Mac. If you can get your hands on a used, 10 or so year old Mac Mini, stick it in a closet and run handyPrint.

I've got a Brother printer, wireless, connects just fine to the iPhone and the iPad.

Connectivity for your printer - get the user manual and there should be directions. Make & model of the phone should be irrelevant as long as both printer and phone use same network protocol, either wifi or BT. I have my old iPod BT to my obscure am/fm/alarm clock!

Making a lot of assumptions here, but if you're running PC's on a wired network, the last thing I'd do is route phone anything to it. Let the phones connect directly to the printers you use for phones somehow, and I'll assume it's all public or unimportant information. Windows PCs are designed to talk with each other over a private network. Most printers are, too. Phones are designed to work over cellular and Internet. Connecting those things together adds risks; new technology connecting with legacy. PM me if I can help.

I am learning there is an “Airprint Adapter” that will allow printing to non-wireless printers, from most modern cellphones.

What's the OS of the computer driving the printer? I have a home wifi network, and the desktop is a linux box running CUPS. The devices send the print files over the wi-fi network to the computer's IP address, where all networked printers are available. I believe it's possible to run CUPS on Windows 10. I think Win 10 also can enable internet printing out of the box.

Last edited:
Back