N90 is awesome

chucky

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Chucky
Just got back from my first real instrument lesson in a little while. I've put in some time with safety pilots and a few short trips in actual IMC (before the weather turned cold and bumpy) but it's been a while since I've been under the hood with an instructor. Today I knocked off the last big outstanding item on the syllabus - partial panel. I've done some partial panel stuff before now, but today it was failed gyro from start to finish. There were turns, holds, a VOR approach into Merridan (MMK) and then finally a no-gyro ILS back into New Haven, which prompted the thread title.

The winds up here have been pretty gusty the last few days but today it wasn't too bad. Below freezing, though. Luckily, they had hidden my Warrior in one of the hangars (when I asked where it was, the line guys told me 'hangar 4'. There is no hangar 4), so I did my preflight in the warmth and had no trouble starting the engine once we were outside. It's been a while since I've flown in temps much cooler than standard, and the plane just jumped off the runway. I had to be reminded how to fly by the compass (it's been a while) but once I got that sorted out, things went fine. It was fairly bumpy, but I was able to hold altitude within a hundred feet. The VOR into MMK went quite well. The intersection hold on the missed slightly less so, but at least I didn't violate the PTS. Then we went south and asked New York for a no-gyro ILS into New Haven.

He gave us a squawk code right away, and identified us, but didn't acknowledge my request for the no-gyro, so I wasn't sure if we were going to get a real no-gyro or just the usual vectors. I agreed with my instructor that we wouldn't push the issue, and just take what we got, since the controller sounded busy, though not stressed. Sure enough, shortly afterwards we got an assigned heading of 270, so off came the covers and I got ready for the approach while we listened to him vectoring an Arrow in ahead of us. Soon enough, though, he said 'this will be a no-gyro approach, start a right turn', so the covers went back on, and I got the whole experience. Right after the right turn, we got a shorter left turn, then we were left to our own devices for a little while. Then another right turn, just as the localizer was coming in. Just as he said 'stop turn', the needle hit dead center. I stopped the turn, and flew that heading, and the needle stayed. Perfectly done by the controller. When I told him so, he said 'well, we only get to do one of those a year, so those first turns were a bit dodgy, sorry about that.' Ha. Anyway, flew the ILS, circled to the active runway, corrected for some shifting winds, and made a very decent landing. This flying thing is still lots of fun.

Sounds like a good workout! Fun stuff!!!

I could sure use some partial panel myself, current does not mean proficient.

I'm just curious because it has been a while since I did initial instrument training but is partial panel holding part of the PTS?

I know I could look this up but I am curious where this discussion might lead. I am of the opinion that a system loss as important as gyro's is an emergency situation until you reach VMC. I certainly wouldn't accept a hold partial panel in the real world, I'm not saying you can't or even that you shouldn't practice it.

As an instructor I would practice it purely because it may be used in lieu of a procedure turn in certain IAP's. Otherwise my brief would include the seriousness of the partial panel situation and the need to safely expedite the flight into VMC or an approach to landing.

Just something that popped into my head while reading about your lesson. Glad you're having fun. This is the most important rating in my opinion.

As an instructor I would practice it purely because it may be used in lieu of a procedure turn in certain IAP's. Otherwise my brief would include the seriousness of the partial panel situation and the need to safely expedite the flight into VMC or an approach to landing.

Interesting point -- I did PP holds as part of my IR, but looking back it wasn't a good real-world training scenario, though it was good flying practice.

I'm not sure if it's in the PTS, but I insisted on doing the published hold, which is at an intersection (and our DME was non-functional) rather than a hold at the MAD VOR which my instructor offered instead. I figure more difficult maneuvers compensate for the elevated heart rate in an actual emergency. And a non-precision approach is in the PTS, even though I'd certainly go look for a precision approach if I actually lost my gyros in IMC.

I'm just curious because it has been a while since I did initial instrument training but is partial panel holding part of the PTS?

Partial panel holding is not in the instrument PTS but I did have to demonstrate a hold while partial panel on my instrument checkride, though. I think it's a good idea to complete at least a few turns around the hold while partial panel during instrument training.

Nice writeup. The folks at N90 are usually very accommodating and I have the utmost respect for their professionalism and hard work they do each day. I have never been disappointed by their performance.

And a non-precision approach is in the PTS, even though I'd certainly go look for a precision approach if I actually lost my gyros in IMC.

Well, you can lose different stuff in IMC. This summer i lost all electric on Takeoff in IMC, StrikeFinder lighting up ahead and right of course. The airport we departed had a LOC approach, but radio nav requires... yep, electricity. :sad:

The Panel mount GPS worked off the remaining battery power, and the backup handheld was loaded as well.

There's no doubt that PTS-focused training is incomplete -- but you know that. The IR is truly a "license to learn."

:thumbsup:

Well, you can lose different stuff in IMC. This summer i lost all electric on Takeoff in IMC, StrikeFinder lighting up ahead and right of course. The airport we departed had a LOC approach, but radio nav requires... yep, electricity. :sad:

The Panel mount GPS worked off the remaining battery power, and the backup handheld was loaded as well.

Well, that sounds like fun. :wink2: I've got a handheld. It generally stays off during the lessons, but in IMC it's on and programed. I helpfully pointed out to my parents a suction-cup mount for it from Sporty's, so I can put it somewhere useful, hopefully, after Christmas.

There's no doubt that PTS-focused training is incomplete -- but you know that. The IR is truly a "license to learn."

:thumbsup:

Well, I hope so. I'm having fun with the learning - I don't want it to stop. (I didn't after my private training either, which is I guess why I went straight into my instrument.)

Back