N89TW is cleared to RIVET!

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
I reserved my N-number many many moons ago, but YESTERDAY I finally ordered my tail kit!

Troy Whistman said:
I reserved my N-number many many moons ago, but YESTERDAY I finally ordered my tail kit!

Congratulations, Troy. Keep us asvised on the progress. Complete with pictures.

BTW, what N number did you reserve?

Mike Schneider said:
I was wondering the same thing. N89TW and N137RV are registered to folks in states nowhere near Texas (OR & WI). -- Mike

The picture is one of Van's own demonstrators. N137RV should be registered to them. I hope Troy didn't lose his by reserving it a long time ago. I don't know how long they will let you reserve one.
edit: I just checked. They will reserve it for one year unless you renew the reserved number and send them ten bucks, unless it is registered to a specific airplane of course.

Good luck with the project Troy, I am jealous. Building an RV is on my list of things to do in the near future. Post many updates, maybe even set up a website so we may follow along.
Don

Last edited:
The very first RV I met was a -7. I had to be careful not to drool on the airframe. As I was just staring at the cockpit the owner and his wife walked up and were very agreeable to answer my every question. The cockpit was so nice that I couldn't take my eyes off the luxurious seats and all the bells and whistles. In fact, he said his wife rarely flew with him...until he finished the RV. Now she flies every time he goes. She backed that up with a huge smile and nod.

Re: N855WH is cleared to RIVET!

Mike Schneider said:
I was wondering the same thing. N89TW and N137RV are registered to folks in states nowhere near Texas (OR & WI). -- Mike

I've had 89TW reserved for YEARS... you're right, I hope I didn't lose it!! I'll have to go check.

EDIT: Checked; we lost it to an aircraft manufacturer who has it reserved.

If I lost it, I'll use another N-number, 855WH, that I reserved a year and half ago when my favorite grandpa died, in honor of him. August ("8") 19"55" is when he and grandma married, and his name was Bill (William) Hurd... thus, 8 55 WH.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNumSQL.asp?NNumbertxt=855WH

I'm excited to get started!! I'll definitely be keeping a web blog with pictures and progress...

Last edited:
That hurts. Reserve a number for years only to have it obsconed with by some errant manufacturer. I smell a lawsuit! Maybe if you asked them nice, they'd give it back.
But honoring Grandpa is a good idea.

silver-eagle said:
That hurts. Reserve a number for years only to have it obsconed with by some errant manufacturer. I smell a lawsuit! Maybe if you asked them nice, they'd give it back.
But honoring Grandpa is a good idea.

Yeah, and we did send in the $10 every year for the past 7 years or so, too. Must have just forgot or missed the notice this year... figures!

Honoring Grandpa is just fine with me... I would have liked to have flown with him, and never had that chance. Here's a picture of him and Grandma from 2001 at Mount St. Helens... the last time I saw him in person. I still miss him greatly.

Last edited:
Mike Schneider said:

When I saw the N89 reference I had to check my photos, thinking it might be the one owned by the fellow from whom I bought my C-150M. His recently-purchased plane is pictured below, in his tie-down at Wiscasset Airport; and the C-150M is the other photo, taken on the day I bought it. Note the mobile home across the street is in each photo.

HR (Scott's N89PC is now in a hangar. He couldn't bear to leave it outside)

Lawreston said:
When I saw the N89 reference I had to check my photos, thinking it might be the one ...QUOTE]

Uh, no... I'm not buying a complete plane... I bought the KIT.

It'll look like this when I get it:

Troy Whistman said:

You DOG!!! Go, man, go! Please keep us posted here with pictures and stories of your build. I'm VERY interested in seeing how this goes...

Are you going to do the tail feathers yourself or build them at an assistance center?

Bill Jennings said:
You DOG!!! Go, man, go! Please keep us posted here with pictures and stories of your build. I'm VERY interested in seeing how this goes...

Are you going to do the tail feathers yourself or build them at an assistance center?

Hey, THANKS!!! I am doing them myself, with a caveat...

I know Jay Pratt (he runs the builder assistance center at T67 / Hicks) and Doug Reeves (he runs the vansairforce.net website). I am 'bribing' them with beer and bbq to get one of them to come to my house for a Saturday for some one-on-one instruction on some practice metal before I 'dive in' on the real thing.

Me and two of my daughters (I hope to include the family as much as possible, so this project will bring us together, not tear us apart) are building the EAA work tables today, but I'm making them 36" high instead of 33" at the recommendation of another plus-6-foot builder:

http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/worktabl/worktabl.htm

Troy Whistman said:
I know Jay Pratt (he runs the builder assistance center at T67 / Hicks) and Doug Reeves (he runs the vansairforce.net website).

Wow, how nice it must be to be near such great expertise. I've researched both of their web sites, and find them chock full of good information and builder sharing.

I hope you and your daughters have a great time, keep us posted on your progress!!

ps - nice tables!

Back