N10-LNS-N10 Flight with Mentor (Video)

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
Thought this would be the better spot to place this thread.

On Friday, I met with my mentor, Lee, for a flight from N10 (Perkiomen Valley PA) to LNS (Lancaster PA) for a trip to Airways and to the restaurant.

Flight was quick, but I was as happy as could be up there. Landings were smooth, and the pilot shop sucked $50 quick from me. Lunch was nice too, and before I knew it I was back on the West Ramp getting set for the ride back.

I compiled this video from the short pieces I took here and there along the trip. It's about 20Meg on YouTube, so it may take a little to load depending on your connection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM156YA4-K4

:D

Thanks for the comment. I'm looking forward to getting started more in-depth with my training. Should be a fun and exciting 2008 :blueplane:

Rob run. Run away now!! Lee is your mentor? Man I'd find a new mentor. The guy can't even find airways sheesh and whats with the #5 for departure thing? A guy like Lee should be able to get you a priority clearance! Well welcome to the board and good luck with your training. Lee will give some good advice he is a good guy and a good pilot!

Are you in Lansdale Proper or North Wales or Montgomeryville? Get Lee to tell you about our LOM Beer Drinkers group! New buy brings the beer heh heh. Are you going to train at N10 or at Wings?

HA HA,... thanks Adam. Lee mentioned to look out for you,.. but in a good way, to possibly help out with the Wings fly-in (May I think?)

I've gone up with Paul at LOM for 1.6 Hrs in a C172, and I have been talking with the guys at N10 about learning there in the C152. N10 will save me some money, let me fly on a smaller field to sharpen skills. LOM is really nice, and more formalized. I like the instruction there (top notch) and the scheduling is so much easier, but it will be much more expensive. I have yet to experience the instructors at N10, but there isn't any on-line scheduling, so you play phone tag to get things setup. :rolleyes:

So,.. I can study and learn more on my own, have Lee there to help, and train at N10, and hopefully get my ticket this year. To train at LOM, I'd have to wait a little longer for the $$ to be in place.

I am in Lansdale Borough,.. just 4 blocks from the train station in the center of town.

Great flight, textual narration, and music. And, might I add, nice landings to Lee! :D

That pilot shop is like crack..addictive and a quick way of going broke.

Good luck with your training Rob.

Rob what does a 150 go for per hour at N10 and what do you pay for the CFI?

Well i'll and my 2 cents, Nice video Rob. And as far as Lee goes I'd would have let you fly the plane but thats OK, Lee is a good pilot to have as a mentor.
Good Luck in your training , Hope to see you at some of the Fly-in's.
Dave G.
P.S. Join us in the chatroom we are ther most nights

Last edited:
Uh, oh.

Look, I don't want to be the one to tell you, but.....Lee's a drinker. Beer. It's a problem. We've had weekly meetings at LOM, all he does is talk flying. Frankly, I'm worried for the both of you. Next thing you know he'll be dragging you down to Wings with a growler of Victory IPA, and you'll be talking about planes, snooping around new arrivals, and generally being an airport bum with the rest of us. It's a downward spiral. Ohhhh, Lordy, you're in trouble now!!!

:cheers:

Ha Ha,.. you guys are great.

Lee did let me fly on the return leg. Held headings and shallow turns.

The C152 goes for 75/ hr wet, 110 / hr wet with instructor.

A C172 at Wings is 109/ hr wet + 12.00 Fuel Surcharge, + 45/hr Instructor = 166 / hr wet

So,.. nearly every 2 hrs in the plane at wings can be equal to 3 in the C152. (not comparing ground instruction time and charges) That adds up quick. Now,.. the C152 is 20+ years old,... and the C172's at LOM are only 4-6 years old, so that is also reflective of price. N10 has a C172 as well, 2 I think, which go for $95 hr / wet without instructor.

Beer. It's a problem. We've had weekly meetings at LOM, all he does is talk flying.

Beer a problem?? You have to admit, it's a pretty common problem in these parts!!

Frankly, I'm worried for the both of you. Next thing you know he'll be dragging you down to Wings with a growler of Victory IPA, and you'll be talking about planes, snooping around new arrivals, and generally being an airport bum with the rest of us. It's a downward spiral. Ohhhh, Lordy, you're in trouble now!!!

:cheers:

May be a downward spiral, but it's a fun ride!!

Gary

So its gotten to the point that the only way I can get anyone to fly with me is to find unsuspecting students that don't know any better yet. Then I make them film my landings and buy me lunch and take over the controls when I get bored...Just my luck, Rob found his way to this board and now all you guys that do know better can warn him off.....oh well, back to the AOPA project pilot website :D

Seriously, Rob's only got 1.6 hrs so far but he's done an incredible amount of book learning already. He's pretty knowledgable considering his level of experience. He's going to make my job and as mentor easy.

Last edited:
Nice clip. Can't go wrong with Beethoven, especially that number. :D
Pretty country, too- I realize i haven't ventured far into Pennsylvania; need to fly out there more.
By all means go for the 152- it's a very good trainer that can also be fun to fly once you get a feel for it, and just fine for longer trips if you have the patience. :D

Back