[N/A] Vicodin STINKS

astanley

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew Stanley
I don't understand why this is a viable painkiller. I got all 4 wisdom teeth out last night and this #$@#$@# pill doesn't do squat. I've never taken a painkiller stronger than Tylenol, yet this is just garbage.

Sorry to rant, but DANG why does it cost so much for something that does so little??

-Andrew

astanley said:
I don't understand why this is a viable painkiller. I got all 4 wisdom teeth out last night and this #$@#$@# pill doesn't do squat. I've never taken a painkiller stronger than Tylenol, yet this is just garbage.

Sorry to rant, but DANG why does it cost so much for something that does so little??

-Andrew

Demerol, my man. Nothing better, IMHO. And cheap too.

Wisdom teeth, yikes. They could remove every tooth you have and you'd still be smarter than a lot of folks :yes:

Get well soon. :cheerswine:

Hope you feel better soon. No matter what you take, getting four molars yanked out of your jawbone is gonna hurt for a couple days. Ice packs on your face and some topical analgesic like clove oil or orajel on the gums around the tender areas might help.

Sending some healing thoughts your way!

Terry

astanley said:

-Andrew

Yeah, it's crap. Problem is if You take Oxycontin for more than a couple days, you're gonna pay for it when you come off, not fun. I'm not an MD, but I have gone through some pretty high pain long duration debilitating injuries. When it comes to pain killers, my method which I DO NOT recommend to anyone is to take the prescribed dosage, wait 20 minutes, and then take another and repeat until pain comes down to a throb from a scream. WARNING *** THIS METHOD OF DOSING MAY LEAD TO YOUR DEATH*** Just telling you how I do it. Another very bad thing to do is to chase a vicodin with a Screwdriver.

Henning said:
Yeah, it's crap. Problem is if You take Oxycontin for more than a couple days, you're gonna pay for it when you come off, not fun. I'm not an MD, but I have gone through some pretty high pain long duration debilitating injuries. When it comes to pain killers, my method which I DO NOT recommend to anyone is to take the prescribed dosage, wait 20 minutes, and then take another and repeat until pain comes down to a throb from a scream. WARNING *** THIS METHOD OF DOSING MAY LEAD TO YOUR DEATH*** Just telling you how I do it. Another very bad thing to do is to chase a vicodin with a Screwdriver.

Man, I hate it when somebody I know does things that scare the poop out of me.

Please just don't tell these things.

Carol said:

Wisdom teeth, yikes. They could remove every tooth you have and you'd still be smarter than a lot of folks :yes:

Thanks Carol. I've been wearing icepacks on my face and (attempting) to sleep all afternoon. And thanks for the well wishes, I'm not sure there are many who would share your opinion :goofy:

Cheers,

-Andrew

terzap said:
Hope you feel better soon. No matter what you take, getting four molars yanked out of your jawbone is gonna hurt for a couple days. Ice packs on your face and some topical analgesic like clove oil or orajel on the gums around the tender areas might help.

Sending some healing thoughts your way!

Terry

Good idea on the topical, hadn't thought of that.

Thanks for the well wishes! I'm watching "Airplane!" and LMFAO.

Cheers,

-Andrew

I picked a hell of a day to quit amphetamenes.

Henning said:

I doubled up last night, which I know wasn't a smart idea but I was seconds away from hitting someone or something. That helped, and I slept like a rock.

The doc gave me an IV painkiller plus novacain, I wouldn't mind having that back :rofl:

Cheers,

-Andrwe

Carol said:
Man, I hate it when somebody I know does things that scare the poop out of me.

Please just don't tell these things.

There is a threshold of chronic debilitating pain (more than 2 weeks can't sleep due to the pain) where deaths specter seems a welcome friend or at least a not so bad option. The sad thing is with the way the DEA regulates what I call the triple prescription drugs, doctors don't want to give them to you. I had to tell my doctor "Look, you give me the Oxycontin, or I'm going to go get some good Mexican black tar heroin. One way or another, I'm gonna sleep tonight." Pain management is being governed out of our country.

astanley said:
Cheers,

-Andrwe
Looks like maybe the Vicodin's starting to work? :D

I had mine out when I was a teenager. Doc gave me a Valium/Demmoral mix (they were impacted), then proceeded to tell my mother in recovery it was like a truth syrum. I have vague recollections of discussing things a teenage boy would NEVER willingly discuss with his mother! When I went back to get the other side done, I instructed a lesser dose, and had a friend drive me!

Hope you feel better soon.

I have a relative that is experiencing what Henn says, it is true. So many have abused the system that bonafide need for controlled substances is disputed by some physicians, pharmacists.
Andrew. Don't try to sleep. Keep busy, the funny movies are a good idea. I raked the yard for hours after mine, kept my mind off the pain somehow. Now I wouldn't be active to the point making it throb with increased blood flow.
Good luck.

The other thing that happens is you, the patient gets a placebo Vicodin, whilst the genuine pill get diverted to cash-paying under the counter customers.

I took a Vicodin once after some dental work. I swear, I'd rather hurt than take another ever again. I absolutely hated the way it made me feel.

When I had one of my teeth pulled a year ago, I controlled the pain with aspirin. Before that, I spent almost a year with the tooth in my jaw, broken and crushed down to the gum. When it hurt too bad, I took aspirin. When I had four pulled to let my braces work years ago, I controlled the pain with aspirin. I've got torn ligaments in my ankle, and have for three months now... I control the pain with good old fashioned aspirin. When I had surgery on the cartilage in my wrist, as soon as I went home I controlled the pain quite satisfactorily with.... wait for it... aspirin. I refused to take the pain killers they sent me home with because I couldn't carry a gun. I switched my gun to my left side, took aspirin, and went back to work. Only time I regretted it was once when I tried to shift gears with it in my car. That HURT.

Aspirin is a wonderful thing. Can't get hooked on it, minimal side effects, and works really, really well. Doesn't make you sick, doesn't make you stoned, and makes the pain subside. Either that, or I've got a really high tolerance for pain.

Carol said:

DILAUDID!!! Numbah 1 no ****, GI. It has got to be the absolute best. I know when I was laying in the bed screaming and the nurse would stick it into the port in my neck....10 seconds later, it just did not hurt. Not one little bit. :yes: :yes: :yes:

I am told it is pretty addictive, but I did not have a problem with it AND IT WORKED!

KP

I thought aspirin is verboten because it acts like an anti-coagulant? Joe, I envy you that aspirin has that effect on you--me, it does absolutely nothing. In fact, 2,000mg Ibuprofen has little effect. I hate doing that but when my back begins to spasm or, like now, the pain from my recent eye surgery becomes too intense I tend to get creative.

The only reason I got the three hours of sleep in the 36 hour period following the surgery was because I drank 10 ounces of Myer's Dark Rum, neat. The Doc says the numbing drops which are my salvation inhibit the healing process. What the heck am I to do???

What about some of those "spirits" you've been known to espouse? Might not kill the pains but sure as Hell would allow you to forget them. Hope you're well, soon.

HR

Oh, and I'm sure you'll recognize Route 24 in the attached photo. Hope to see you during the summer.

Last edited:
astanley said:
-Andrew
It doesn't do little. Wisdom teeth hurt a LOT! And, it's all in dosage. But it IS addictive and dosage guessing is a problem. ONLY take more after you've called the surgeon...becuase, if your surgical details went well, by the time you read this you'll be much much better.

they gave me the same last week when i had a root canal. Same results, didnt help much. I found nyquil to be the best solution for pain. You cant feel much while in that semi coma state.

bbchien said:
It doesn't do little. Wisdom teeth hurt a LOT! And, it's all in dosage. But it IS addictive and dosage guessing is a problem. ONLY take more after you've called the surgeon...becuase, if your surgical details went well, by the time you read this you'll be much much better.

You are right Dr. Bruce. Today is pretty mellow. I'm now going 6+ hours between doses, I was at 3 hours Friday. I went 8 hours overnight and it was just a "throb", not the "I'm going to hit someone" that it was Friday night. The swelling is a little worse, but good old ice and ibuprofen (which I was prescribed) do the trick. The doctor said because of the bottom two (they were both past horizontal), the lower jaw would swell worse (I was awake for the procedure, for the left side he grunted and leaned on the side of the chair for extra leverage to break the tooth), and he was right. I now know what I would look like if I packed on another 30lbs.

He let me keep my teeth, however!

Cheers,

-Andrew

Back