N/A Request...

Brian Austin

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Austin
I've had a few requests for directions on how to ignore non-aviation threads in either New Posts or Recent Activity searches. Many aviation-related threads are posted here in Hangar Talk (which is fine since it's an open forum). Several users WANT to see those aviation related posts but don't necessarily want to see the non-av posts.

I can't seem to find a 'switch' or anything that allows such a thing as 'ignore thread' or redefines the search criteria used in New Posts or Recent Activity. Chuck may know of another way, however. If so, he'll either edit my post here or add on to the thread. There are a few hacks available (I love this customizable software!) but we generally leave those to Chuck since I have a tendency to try things "just to see what happens" (and no, I wasn't responsible for that power outage in Las Vegas last night...as far as you know, anyway). :D

In the meantime, could any non-aviation related post be preceded by "NA" or "[NA]", similar to how many users did it on AOPA's board? It would be appreciated by those who don't want to miss out on the aviation contributions posted here in Hangar Talk.

Thanks!

Re: Request...

Why not just add a non-aviation topics forum?

Moxie said:
I think this is a great idea Moxie, but there's also a difference between the posts dealing with kids, cats and dogs and the political/religious kind. Maybe there could be a forum called "the debate room" or something like that for controversial subjects.

Personally, I can usually tell from the header what the subject is going to be. I don't mind reading the political posts but so far I have been able to resist my temptation to reply. :no:

Everskyward said:
I think this is a great idea Moxie, but there's also a difference between the posts dealing with kids, cats and dogs and the political/religious kind. Maybe there could be a forum called "the debate room" or something like that for controversial subjects.

Personally, I can usually tell from the header what the subject is going to be. I don't mind reading the political posts but so far I have been able to resist my temptation to reply. :no:

My BC forum added "The Soapbox" Forum last, uhhh, maybe November? It's been a great success. All controversial threads go there, and are welcomed there in fact.

Everskyward said:
I don't mind reading the political posts but so far I have been able to resist my temptation to reply.

Oh come on .. jump in .. the water's fine.

Everskyward said:
Maybe there could be a forum called "the debate room" or something like that for controversial subjects.

I like my suggestion to AOPA better: "The Mosh Pit." :)

And I'm glad y'all like [NA], that was my idea too. Jeez, I should start coming up with ideas that make money!

RogerT said:
Oh come on .. jump in .. the water's fine.
Skeered of water. ;)

My favorite section of the newspaper is the editorial/opinions section which is why I sometimes like to read these threads. However, I'm guessing we're all adults here with our opinions already fully formed and I'm not going to change anyone's mind about anything by putting in my 2 cents. It's sometimes tempting, though. :rolleyes:

Moxie said:
Hangar Talk said:
Open forum for discussion of any topic you like, aviation related or otherwise. Virtually all topics in this forum are permitted - so long as they are discussed in a civil manner.
This is the "non-aviation" topics forum. :)

Flight Following said:
Got a general question to ask or aviation topic to discuss? Establish contact here!
Flight Following is the "Generic Aviation" conference.

I can tweak the description of Hangar Talk, however, to make it more clear that the intention of Hangar Talk is to be an open discussion forum. :)

As a followup: Management reserves the right to add [NA] to your thread after its posting to help clarify if a thread is or is not aviation related. :) This will be a thread title edit only.

Uhh..I didn't see NA in the subject line of this post. So, do we put 1/2 NA when it starts as A and becomes NA?

Good idea. We'll see.

Dave

Suggestion...

I think as long as folks who post here keep their post/thread titles clear and descriptive, it shouldn't matter whether politics is discussed in POA's HT. If the topics get touchy, well, that's why they are paying you mods the big bucks ;)

But seriously, if a post of mine was deleted or edited due to inflammitory content, I wouldn't have any issue as long as I received an explanation as to where I went wrong - kinda like getting chewed out by Tower...

This is, after all, a lounge into which we have been invited, but we need to understand and respect the culture - if politics are not desired here, we should refrain.

Most of the other boards i belong to with a large following have an actual "political corner" area. And warnings that if you like to fight this is the place to go (or if you don't, this is not the place to go).

Dave Siciliano said:
Uhh..I didn't see NA in the subject line of this post. So, do we put 1/2 NA when it starts as A and becomes NA?

Good idea. We'll see.

Dave
Dave, I just put N/A on this one...

I guess I was trapped by a habit. I was regarding "Flight Following" and analog to the "I Was Wondering" AOPA forum. I hadn't thought of it as a general aviation topic forum. Probably everthing I have posted in Hangar Talk should have been in Flight Following.

Bobby Day said:
I guess I was trapped by a habit. I was regarding "Flight Following" and analog to the "I Was Wondering" AOPA forum. I hadn't thought of it as a general aviation topic forum. Probably everthing I have posted in Hangar Talk should have been in Flight Following.
I can move the thread.

Holy necropost, Batman!

(You can see the beginnings of the Spin Zone here, though... Cool.)

Re: N/A Request...WHAT ???

Dear People.. Your all educated intelligent adults who for the most part have reached some level of success in your lives , many are older pilots who have seen much and yet I'm deeply saddened and truly disgusted that so many well intention-ed people could ever or would ever turn a blind eye to whats taking place in the sky's over our farm's your home's schools play grounds but more over in the very sky's you fly and sometimes directly in front of you to the point you either change heading OR else and yet not one lousy word spoken not one but rather we read total crap instead as if whats happening isn't , well about 10 yrs ago I was rudely awakened from my mental coma and I'm thankful I was, question is are you going to wait 10 yrs before coming out of your's . Can you just imagine trying to explain it all away by telling everyone it's all just "contrails" when so many of you know that's a lie .. How many of you are helping to perpetrate this fraud and why ? It's high treason how many are aware of HAARP and what the nexrad tower's are being used for aside from the Doppler weather imaging they claim is it's only use ? That's another flat out mis-truth {Lie} they are also using the nexrad tower's to steer weather front's .. Please wake up...

Re: N/A Request...WHAT ???

Dear People.. Your all educated intelligent adults who for the most part have reached some level of success in your lives , many are older pilots who have seen much and yet I'm deeply saddened and truly disgusted that so many well intention-ed people could ever or would ever turn a blind eye to whats taking place in the sky's over our farm's your home's schools play grounds but more over in the very sky's you fly and sometimes directly in front of you to the point you either change heading OR else and yet not one lousy word spoken not one but rather we read total crap instead as if whats happening isn't , well about 10 yrs ago I was rudely awakened from my mental coma and I'm thankful I was, question is are you going to wait 10 yrs before coming out of your's . Can you just imagine trying to explain it all away by telling everyone it's all just "contrails" when so many of you know that's a lie .. How many of you are helping to perpetrate this fraud and why ? It's high treason how many are aware of HAARP and what the nexrad tower's are being used for aside from the Doppler weather imaging they claim is it's only use ? That's another flat out mis-truth {Lie} they are also using the nexrad tower's to steer weather front's .. Please wake up...

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: :rofl::rofl:

<pant pant pant>

They're not chemtrails - They're apparently apostraphe-trails, and someone just flew over your post!!! :hairraise:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: :rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
The stock vBulletin does not allow you to exclude groups from the NewPosts. I've seen one other site that has hacked it but I don't know if that is a generally available mod. It's not in the baseline software.

The stock vBulletin does not allow you to exclude groups from the NewPosts. I've seen one other site that has hacked it but I don't know if that is a generally available mod. It's not in the baseline software.

PoA does - I have Spin Zone excluded from mine, despite being a "member" so I can see it.

User CP -> Edit Options -> Scroll all the way to the bottom.

Sooo...about these chemtrails...tell us more. You have me worried...:yes:

ooh yes lets hear more about chemtrails....lol

Back