N/A How to test a built-in dishwasher?

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Ok, semi-dumb question.

My house has a built-in Kitchenaid dishwasher that was disconnected when I got it. It looks to be in decent shape, but I gotta guess that it was yanked out to get it fixed or something.

I suppose I can test the motor and electronics by wiring in a power cord.

Is there any slick way to hook up the water supply and drain to check those?

I guess I could answer my own question. Since I I'll hafta to replace if it's busted I might as well get a connect kit and hook it up where I could use the kit hook up a new one later.

I have a lightly used portable dishwasher that I may slide into the spot (if it fits). Otherwise I'll be tripping over the portable for a while. I don't think it has a built-in conversion kit.

What conversion kit? Most portables are just built-ins installed in a big, metal cabinet with wheels, and a hunk of concrete in the back to keep 'em from tipping over.

Connections? One supply line, hook it up to the hot water line, one drain line, hook it up (through an air gap, if you care about code) to the connector on the side of your garbage disposer, and a plug to ... ummm... plug in.

The simplest method would be to take it outdoors (or into the garage) and connect the supply to a garden hose. Run the drain hose into a large bucket (dishwashers generally use no more than a couple gallons of water for each subcycle. You could also just let the drain run on the ground if thats OK. For power put a plug on the wires if one isn't there already and just plug it in to an outlet. Make sure you connect the safety ground.

Aw, heck. If you want to fit into my neighborhood, just leave it outside when you're finished.

Attachments

• redneck_dishwasher.jpg
    redneck_dishwasher.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 21
Back