N/A How do you buy a house?

A house near the airport thats cool. Now if only you bought a house ON the airport. Heh heh heh.

I measured it on the public transit site. 2.1 miles from my door to where the Cherokee sleeps...provided they have that road open. It won't open again until Spring. For now I'd have a drive another 2-3 miles to get to the other side.

Keep in mind that the airport's land is a mile on a side. :goofy:

It's better than I could ever have imagined.

When I missed Tony's fly-in I vowed to fix it after all of this time. I fixed it! I think I've been making that 1-2 hour drive for over 10 years.

The hangar bums say I still won't fly that much.

Im glad that the midwest flying inspired such an event. And now you'll be able to make (or host!) the next one.

OK, relax, Mike. We experienced homeowners will now provide a list of mandatory supplies EVERY house needs. My list starts out:

1) plunger (there's a story behind this that makes it #1)
I can imagine the story but this place has 3 bathroroms. The funniest thing I heard this week was my buddy screaming at me, How are you gonna CLEAN ALL OF THOSE BATHROOMS?

I told him I'd lock one closed if it would make him happy.

2) duct tape
3) ladder
4) basic set of tools
5) fire extinguisher

That's doable. Off to Costco and Home Depot. I actually just bought a fire extinquisher from Costco...some cool LED touch lights for the hangar, too.

Furniture? Bah! My wife and I moved from a small house into a big one and had an empty formal living room for a while. We called it the ballroom.

I'm only going to have to buy a new bed. Other than that I'm gonna have a lot of ballrooms for a long time.

I'm planning on making the biggest bedroom into the world longest office/studio/computer room. It has storage cabinets over the closets.

I'm only now realizing how much this will improve my life because I won't have dig so deep into previous layers to find stuff. More room to spread out my junk.

OK, relax, Mike. We experienced homeowners will now provide a list of mandatory supplies EVERY house needs. My list starts out:

1) plunger (there's a story behind this that makes it #1)
2) duct tape
3) ladder
4) basic set of tools
5) fire extinguisher

But since Mike has an airplane, we can assume he already has a good supply of duct tape. If he had a high wing instead of the Cherokee he'd have a ladder too.

I'm only now realizing how much this will improve my life because I won't have dig so deep into previous layers to find stuff. More room to spread out my junk.

Nah, more room means more junk and you still won't be able to find half of it. Trust me on this.

Congratulations, Mike. Good move.

You need to add a Garage. Really need one. It's Northern Illinois in the winter.....and get rid of that Mustang.

You need to add a Garage. Really need one. It's Northern Illinois in the winter.....and get rid of that Mustang.

Be nice. The Mustang is the one with a new battery, working air conditioner, and an engine heater - which I've never plugged in. It just won't go noplace in the snow.

Be nice. The Mustang is the one with a new battery, working air conditioner, and an engine heater - which I've never plugged in. It just won't go noplace in the snow.

I think you'd be surprised how well it would do with good snow tires (with higher aspect ratio) and a couple hundred pounds of bagged sand in the trunk.

Just got a phone call.

"Is this the new homeowner, Mike?"

They accepted my offer.

My reactions:

1) I'm gonna be a homeowner. :yes: :yes: :yes: It's gonna be cool! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2) My god! What have I done? :hairraise:

Beer at the airport is gonna be on me! :cheers:
Mike, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I'm off next week, so if you're closing Real Soon, I'd be happy to help you move! (And take you up on that beer!:yes:). PM me if you're interested.

Yes, a garage is a Good Thing. Doesn't matter what you have, if it's outside on an icy evening, you'll be scraping in the AM.

Nah, more room means more junk and you still won't be able to find half of it. Trust me on this.
Amen, ye speaketh the truth!!!

You need an SUV. Maybe a Hummer. You're going to have to have something big for the trips to Home Depot.

You need an SUV. Maybe a Hummer. You're going to have to have something big for the trips to Home Depot.

NEVER!!!

I have my eye on a used Volvo XC, which is a wagon, not an SUV...right? Right?

Last edited:
As an SUV owner, let me just say that SUVs are really not that great for trips to Lowes. (Or Home Depot but we prefer Lowes).

Oh its fine for some things - but when you get to the big 6x8 sheets of drywall and plywood, or the 10 foot long boxes of tongue-in-groove flooring, well, the only place those fit is on the roof...

Bro-in-law's got a pickup tho. :)

As an SUV owner, let me just say that SUVs are really not that great for trips to Lowes. (Or Home Depot but we prefer Lowes).

Oh its fine for some things - but when you get to the big 6x8 sheets of drywall and plywood, or the 10 foot long boxes of tongue-in-groove flooring, well, the only place those fit is on the roof...

Bro-in-law's got a pickup tho. :)

Mine does fine :yes:

I did manage to bend one of the pieces on the roof rack after loading one too many 4x8 sheets of drywall. But still got 'em home just fine.

Oh, Mike, I hate to tell you this.... but... the XC-90 is an SUV. :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_XC90

Might as well suck it up and admit it. You need an SUV. Or a pickup truck.

Better. I have a buddy with a pickup truck, but it's always full of stuff and neither of us is athletic enough to do a lot of hauling.

I talked to him yesterday and wondered if it made sense for me to buy a van for a while. I decided I might make 2 moves - the first one by hiring "Two Guys and a Truck."

I had a funny thought: I'll stop by the village hall to ask some questions of the building department like code and whether I could ever build a garage.

What if I asked, "What's the plan for that damned airport?"

I think if I can't keep a straight face they may mark me for special treatment. That would be very dangerous in Chicago.

I closed yesterday. I picked the close date. Guess why it's that one.

It's all your fault ya .........! :D

Now, if I can just convince a gas company that the house and believe it or not, the town exists so I can get the heat turned on.

I'm gonna be so sore....already am.

Grayslake or one of the round lakes? either way, a good area to live in. pm me sometime if you want to know 'what the plans are for the airport'...I might have some insight.

Good luck with the new place, and definitely congratulations.

Congrats on the purchase Mike. And, good luck getting the heat turned on. I hear it's really cold up your way.

Congrats Mike. You'll finally have your own place to put stuff. If you're like most of us, you'll collect just a bit more stuff than your house holds!!

Best,

Dave

After years of looking at shoddy new home construction I am building one with my own (and my wife and a couple friends when the need arises) hands. The Plans are complete except for a couple of things in the kitchen (I think I spent more time on that then the rest of the house). The only part being subbed out is digging the basement and the concrete pour. Construction starts in 13 months. I'm also adding a 26x34 building (some would call it a garage) for my next project (an RV-10)

Congrats Mike. You'll finally have your own place to put stuff. If you're like most of us, you'll collect just a bit more stuff than your house holds!!

Best,

Dave
If you only knew how much that isn't a joke. I have so much stuff in the old "apartment" that I needed the van to haul enough to let me get to it. Now my challenge is to not make the new lacde look liek teh old one. I've vowed to stow stuff as soon as a can and trying, trying really hard to toss as much as possble.

Nobody needs the 486 screamer PC I never quite completly finished? :eek:

I hauled one load in the van yesterday and can already see the dent I made. That's good.

I'm so sore i can barely walk. That's bad.

That's what the hangar's for. :D

I told the FBO to put me on the waiting list for a new private hangar for that reason. Well, a couple of reasons: I don't have a garage (yet). If I rented a storage unit it would cost $100 a month and be further away than the airport. :rolleyes:

If you only knew how much that isn't a joke. I have so much stuff in the old "apartment" that I needed the van to haul enough to let me get to it. Now my challenge is to not make the new lacde look liek teh old one. I've vowed to stow stuff as soon as a can and trying, trying really hard to toss as much as possble.

Nobody needs the 486 screamer PC I never quite completly finished? :eek:

I hauled one load in the van yesterday and can already see the dent I made. That's good.

I'm so sore i can barely walk. That's bad.

best thing to do is just toss the old stuff. all of it. don't even move it. (keep your clothing and anything you bought recently new). don't even bring it to the new place - once there, you won't have the same incentive to sort and toss.

Eassier said then done Beth!

Since I office out of the house, all that business stuff is there.

It's one of the best of George Carlin's routines--the one about stuff <G>

Best,

Dave

be careful when you find a realtor - many of them will want you to sign an exclusive agreement with them - not a problem as long as you KNOW they are the one for you - just refuse to do so until you are sure you aren't going to change...

Or make sure there's a time limit. I've had good luck with realtors generally except for one really bad apple, who was working with us to sell our house in Arizona (although "working with us" is more a description of what she was supposed to be doing than what she actually did). It took us 10 months to sell, and it was because she sucked. I think we got burned big time. We wished we'd put a 4 month limit on the contract so that we could have gotten rid of her. It was horrible.

Judy

best thing to do is just toss the old stuff. all of it. don't even move it. (keep your clothing and anything you bought recently new). don't even bring it to the new place - once there, you won't have the same incentive to sort and toss.

Oh, yeah, like that really works. :rolleyes:

I'm dreading my next move. Any ham want the parts and carcass of a Johnson Thunderbolt?

I closed yesterday. I picked the close date. Guess why it's that one.

It's all your fault ya .........! :D

Now, if I can just convince a gas company that the house and believe it or not, the town exists so I can get the heat turned on.

I'm gonna be so sore....already am.

Congratulations!

I just today finished moving the stuff from the apartment into my house. The stuff from the old house came out of storage last Saturday. I gave the movers soda pop to drink- I'm still finding cans in various places:mad: . OTOH, the CATV people cane when they said they would.

Pack rat: It's already too late. I moved some boxes to get them out of the way - that was part of the van idea - so now I have boxes to sort through in the new place.

I vowed to not have the boxes of junk all over this time. We'll see how well I do on that.

A couple years ago I opened a box in my dining room and found stuff like my high school IDs and memorabilia. I realized I had packed that box over 30 years ago in my bedroom in my Mom's apartment and that box had followed me around through 5 moves, 6 jobs and a marriage. I have others of vintage of a bit less than that.

News: After literally 6 phone calls in 4 days, the gas in live and the heat is on. On Friday when the third rep insisted that the house didn't exist and the meter wasn't theirs even if I did have the number and it had the gas company's name on it....and then did the "If you can't figure out how to place the order, put customer on hold for 15 minutes and they don't hang up, hit the release button" method, and I hear a recorded message from the University of California. That was the second time I got that method. And I at no point got abusive or intended to do battle, even after the 5th try. I just wanted the gas turned on. The last rep found the house account immediately but told me I would be paying for overtime for Saturday trip and I could have 11Am to 3PM. I agree but intend to call the commerce commission.

On Saturday morning at 8:30AM my phone rings, Can we guess? The gas tech is at the house and can't get it. I tell him "11AM to 3 PM." He says there is no such appointment slot. He takes sympathy on me and agrees to come back after 11.

Guy shows at 11:05, I have heat. There's no such thing as an overtime charge for Saturday. That's nice but with my experiences with the keystone gas company, I expect to have 5 random charges when I get the bill.

I left the water off. My plan is let the place heat for 24 hours or more. I'll be turning the water on later today. I'll pray for no leaks.

The clothes dryer doesn't work. Needs an igniter, but the drum is also very noisy. Since I have one I'm going to try to sell it as is on Craig's list.

After two tries I changed the front door lock. I should have known better than to mess with replacing the strike plate just to make newer. That cost me a half hour of messing because the door wouldn't latch.

I got a few lights working by changing bulbs but the hall light is toast and I don't know why.

I decided I'm too sore to deal with Home Depot, but I have dragged myself down to the Ace Hardware down the road. Got $150 in miscellanea yesterday and I still haven't made a list.

I called a buddy at the airport to ask for ride to bring the car home. They ask me why I'm going the long way around. The road on my side has been open. I had no idea. I've been wasting a lot of time. The car needed a jump in the 4 degrees.

And I'm setting up the van. Got a console. I got an allen wrench to adjust the headlight alignment but it was hard to turn and too cold to mess with last night. Gonna hit it the Liquid Wrench I bought. The lighter is rusted ****. Not that I need power for anything. The rear gate won't lock just to make me nervous as I lug around my Macbook.

Late update: I just put Ron Hazelton on the TiVo. He's getting a fireplace installed in the kitchen. There are flexible gas lines! I didn't know that. That means I can install my gas stove on my own. Being that I lived in Chicago, such flexible things are banned by the codes controlled by the unions. I can use Romex too? Cool!

What's weird is getting my head around the idea it IS mine. The first few days it didn't feel like home. I was in the mode that I shouldn't touch stuff.

I brought a microwave and nuked a brat for breakfast yesterday. It was so cold that even though I bought it hot and ready to eat, the thing nearly froze.

I just now realized that once I have the water on, I can even take a shower there. Imagine. :rolleyes:

Signed: New homeowner Mr. ADD.

Congratulations, Mike. I tell you what. I had no idea that the house payment was the LEAST of my costs during my first year of home ownership. Garden Hose <check>, shovel <check>, washer/dryer <check>, new furniture <check>, lawn mower <check> etc. etc.

BTW, most mid-range and up houses in this area are plumbed with flexible pipe as well. They run the water supply to a distribution point and hook all the pipe in and there you go. If you ever need to add a line, just run it there and hook it in.

Congratulations, Mike. I tell you what. I had no idea that the house payment was the LEAST of my costs during my first year of home ownership. Garden Hose <check>, shovel <check>, washer/dryer <check>, new furniture <check>, lawn mower <check> etc. etc.

BTW, most mid-range and up houses in this area are plumbed with flexible pipe as well. They run the water supply to a distribution point and hook all the pipe in and there you go. If you ever need to add a line, just run it there and hook it in.

Yup. I gotta see what a landscaper costs. I KNOW I will not like mowing, but I might have to check getting a mower. I have wimpy little electric one that's probably rusted since the last time I used it about 10 years ago.

As Ken said, a ladder. I got the duct tape.

And a cordless drill.

I dropped $150 at Ace Hardware just on stuff and the only major things were a lockset pair and a $20 pipe wrench from China, which I used exactly once.

Update: I was told the water had not been shut off by the village. I connected the pipe at the meter (water poured out of the house side, meaning the pipes did freeze, I kinda knew that by the ice in one of the "winterized" toilet bowls) and found out the inside valve was already full open. The water department will meet me at the house Friday morning.

Oh. As I was going back Friday night as I waited for my take out dinner order I pulled out the home inspection report. I got to the page about the heating ystems warning that one furnace's flue was separated. :hairraise: Doh!

Funny. I didn't feel dopey when I had spent a day inside on Saturday.

Upon arrival I checked 1) the selling agent did have 2 new CO detectors installed 2) they were not sounding and 3) the flue was fairly easy to reconnect.

Last edited:
Back