N/A Education:Earnings

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
My young(25 or 26) cousin was valedictorian of her high school class; got a full scholarship to Univ. of Maine, but -- instead -- graduated w/honors from Vassar College at at her Dad's expense. After spending a couple years in New Mexico she moved to Los Angeles "area"; something about the boy friend. She doesn't have "a job", says her father, but is teaching youngsters in some manner. She now has been accepted for a Master's program at Columbia University which would cost about $100,000.00. But, the boy friend; he who has no education beyond high school and is doing very well for their California existence.

While in high school and being very adept at computers and systems he kept about six doctors' offices functioning, technologically, near the Univ. of Maine and was accorded some pretty good spending money for his efforts. Upon high school graduation he got a job interview with some firm in Seattle. His father accompanied him to the city and, figuring that if the kid got the job he'd need to get some furniture for an apartment. After scouting the stores he went back to get the kid who nonchalantly said, "OK, Dad; we/re going home."

"Didn't get the job, eh?"

"Oh, they offered me $35,000 a year and I turned it down." And back to Maine they came. He received other invitations for interviews and accepted a position in/about tinsel-town. $50,000 per year, to start, and that was several years ago. One of his most recent projects was working with the techno team to effect and work out the bugs of the movie, Spiderman-2, and getting the computer game clicking so that it could be on the market the same day the movie was released. There were 60 people at 100K a year, all working feverishly to get all the bugs cleaned.

"When you see the movie and you're looking down from 40 stories up you'll see little dot and dashes on the street. When you see it from 20 stories up they get clearer; and when you look down from 10 stores you see cars and trucks on the streets. I put those cars and trucks there and polished a lot of other effects."

Now, my uncle is perplexed that daughter is well-educated and looking for more, yet without a detailed career; and there's potential son in-law with no higher education and raking in the $$.

HR

Solution sounds simple-

Let the boyfriend pay for the $100K masters degree.... :yes:

Just think of all the ways she can tell him to go (deleted) himself after he comes home with some hot vixen he met at the studio.

You didn't say what the degree is in. It amazes me on the starry-eyed folks going into college for a degree in some saturated/obscure/low paying field, graduate, then start complaining because they either can't find a job or starting pay is $25K.

A little research ahead of time along with a reality check on how economies work would have gone a long way.

Well, statistics can't really be applied to individual cases. The opposite can happen as well. I (with a PhD) make about three times more than my husband (flunked out of junior college) ever made in a good year.

Brian's comment is spot-on, but over time, if she is willing to work hard and be flexible (a HUGE "if" with a lot of spoiled young people today), the degree may make a difference. It's kind of interesting, this business about kids going to the top Ivy Leagues. Hard work still matters. Getting a degree from one of those schools is not the guarantee that some kids and, more importantly, their parents seem to think it is. All it does is open a few more doors a little wider upon graduation. But those doors slam shut fast if the student isn't willing to put out. What a lot of those schools do is make it too easy for the kids once they're in, so they either don't learn how to work hard or forget. So when the kid gets out, he/she has big expectations that great things will happen without effort. The real world hasn't changed. Kids who go to public universities have to work harder while they're in, so when real life happens, many are actually better prepared than the kids with degrees from the Ivy Leagues. The correlation between where you got your degree and how successful you are is getting weaker every year. It still, as it always has, boils down to hard work.

Judy

I agree with Judy on this. I'm the product of state schools (undergrad) and a private school for grad work (they paid me to go, I wouldn't have shelled out a dime for grad school on my own). While I did get a lot out of both experiences, weighted year-for-year, I think I got significantly more out of my state school experience. A lot of this depends on the specific field and school you're talking about. My state school had a student-faculty ratio in my major of about 8:1, with only one upper level class having more than about 20 students. These kind of numbers go a long way toward getting a good educational experience.

Having also been a TA for several classes at a private university, and an instructor at a community college, I can also agree that there were a higher proportion of students at the private school who basically thought they (or their parents) bought them a degree, and they shouldn't have to work hard for a good grade (I did what I could to remove this notion from their head). In the end though it really depends on the student, but if the student is willing to work hard, and the faculty are reasonably good, it doesn't matter what the school name is on the sheepskin.

Jeff

Jeff Oslick said:
but if the student is willing to work hard, and the faculty are reasonably good, it doesn't matter what the school name is on the sheepskin.

Jeff

I'm not even convinced the faculty have to be all that good, just competent. It's really up to the student, and no truer statement was ever written than "it doesn't matter what the school name is on the sheepskin".

The other thing that I can't seem to get through to students is the fact that the importance of one's GPA has a very short half-life. I get students who panic over getting a "B" (much less something lower). Like an Ivy League diploma, all a good GPA does is open the door a little bit more very early on. If the student doesn't have what it takes to do the job--initiative and a willingness to work hard--a 4.0 GPA will get him/her exactly nowhere. If you take my former grad students, the one with the highest GPA coming out of undergrad school had the least creative thesis, whereas the one with the lowest GPA has turned out to be the smartest and most successful of them all. The first worked hard but limited herself too much by being unable or unwilling to take risks. The second not only worked like a dog, but was willing to try to truly break new ground, which always involves some risk.

Judy

My wife received a good, well rounded education from Vassar. I went to state U myself. The Vassar degree comes with a lot of good "networking" connections through the College that the young lady would be wise to take much advantage of. There are some big names that come out of that school. My mother in law is a 55 Vassar grad and one of her classmates has the last name of Firestone.

My wife and I are flying into POU on Saturday for a reunion event. She keeps her connections up there. On the other hand, I haven't been back to a UVM reunion in almost 20 years. Maybe some day... BVT is supposed to be a nice airport and there is a great french fry joint between the airport and the college.

Jim G

Brian Austin said:
You didn't say what the degree is in. It amazes me on the starry-eyed folks going into college for a degree in some saturated/obscure/low paying field, graduate, then start complaining because they either can't find a job or starting pay is $25K.

Jen has a BA in theatre from Vassar. It's not that she's without personal income, having been fairly active in theatre arts in Albuquerque and Los Angeles; but the solid "career" factor has concerned her Dad. The Masters program at Columbia would be a Master of Fine Arts Degree. Presently, she instructing theatre arts to the offspring of quite a few of the production facility management and players.

HR

Lawreston said:
Jen has a BA in theatre from Vassar. It's not that she's without personal income, having been fairly active in theatre arts in Albuquerque and Los Angeles; but the solid "career" factor has concerned her Dad. The Masters program at Columbia would be a Master of Fine Arts Degree. Presently, she instructing theatre arts to the offspring of quite a few of the production facility management and players.

HR
Priorities. She chose a "love" over a "how can I make a good income" type degree, based on percentages. Sure it's possible to make more but the percentages aren't with her.

I don't love my career but I'm comfortable in it, good at what I do, and well-paid for it. I figure that balances with my playtime "loves" and sets up a nice retirement for me.

Oh...and I have no degree either. ;)

Brian Austin said:
I don't love my career but I'm comfortable in it, good at what I do, and well-paid for it. I figure that balances with my playtime "loves" and sets up a nice retirement for me.

Oh...and I have no degree either. ;)

Couldn't agree with you more. I am in exactly the same position. I did the equivalent of a Bachelors degree back in the UK, but I have no "degree" I can point to - A bunch of 'A' levels for sure, but nothing that says 'degree'.

I do pretty well too, almost double the wife with her Masters in Taxation ;)

SJP said:
Couldn't agree with you more. I am in exactly the same position. I did the equivalent of a Bachelors degree back in the UK, but I have no "degree" I can point to - A bunch of 'A' levels for sure, but nothing that says 'degree'.

I do pretty well too, almost double the wife with her Masters in Taxation ;)
Don't tell me there is another Brit on the board. It gets kinda lonely round here.
Stephen.

Back