Mystery twin - name this plane...

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
It's not an experimental. It's a certified twin built in the US.

Attachments

• mysteryTwin.jpg
    mysteryTwin.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 108
I remember reading about it as a kid when it was certified (ca. 1966). Had a big article in Flying magazine as I recall. Looked "slick" to this pre-teen.

It was called the Wing Derringer back then.

wing.jpg

Troy Whistman said:
Wow, that was fast. Were you previously familiar with it?

Last edited:
Soon as I saw the thumbnail I knew what it was. Last time I saw one was at Cal City Airport several years ago. It was in pieces leaning up against a fence. i thought it was a parted out T/C.

I was happy to hear that they were thinking of building them again, lots of good things were said about the old ones.

Steve said:
I remember reading about it as a kid when it was certified (ca. 1966). Had a big article in Flying magazine as I recall. Looked "slick" to this pre-teen.

It was called the Wing Derringer back then.

Huh... There's one at MSN, but I was under the impression that it was a homebuilt because it looks brand spankin' new. Do you suppose somebody built one from plans? My CFII (who knows the owner) said it was a Wing Derringer.

Only 12 aircraft produced at the factory!

One of the features of the original design was the meticulous attention paid to corrosion-proofing the airframe at the factory. It is very possible an original would appear to be "show room" new.

flyingcheesehead said:
Huh... There's one at MSN, but I was under the impression that it was a homebuilt because it looks brand spankin' new. Do you suppose somebody built one from plans? My CFII (who knows the owner) said it was a Wing Derringer.

Only 12 aircraft produced at the factory!

There is one advertised in an Aircraft Ad paper I receive. Ad reads, 2 poeple, 2 engine and 200 MPH for 200K.

Steve said:
One of the features of the original design was the meticulous attention paid to corrosion-proofing the airframe at the factory. It is very possible an original would appear to be "show room" new.
IIRC the Hi-Shear Corp. was involved in the early development. They know their metalwork. Ernie Gann once owned a Derringer.

-- Pilawt

Steve said:

Pay a close attention to the rudder in the pictures above,,, I hope if they bring it back, they do a better job of metal work.

OK, I want one.

Anyone know of one for sale? There's only 9 of them on the registry. :(

One of the 9 is based at MSN and Kate saw it flying the other day. I'll have to beg a ride and see if I fit, I guess.

OK, I want one.

Anyone know of one for sale? There's only 9 of them on the registry. :(

One of the 9 is based at MSN and Kate saw it flying the other day. I'll have to beg a ride and see if I fit, I guess.

I think you may also need several sacks of cash to pry one away from it's current owner.

Didn't Earnest Gann own one of those??

I thought someone was going to start producing quick build kits, how cool would that be with a couple diesels under the cowls...

Back