Mystery Box

NealRomeoGolf

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
NRG
I was looking behind my copilot panel, I guess where you could say the glovebox would be, and I found this box. No clue what it is. Says Midcontinent on it and has a 2006 date. Can't find anything in the logs that would correspond with it. Does it run my DME? Thats the only thing it could really be. The rest of the panel is essentially Garmin stuff.

20210724_131658.jpg

20210724_131306.jpg

It is an amplifier, power supply or converter................probably for an autopilot.

In my backup parts I have a similar looking box and it's the glideslope coupler. Logbooks say the GS coupler was removed. Sigh.

20210724_145445.jpg

20210724_145449.jpg

That date stamped on the box (the installed one) matches up when an Edo-Aire glide slope coupler was installed on 28 Nov 2006. Then a logbook entry in 2010 says the GS coupler was removed. Actually, I should be more accurate. It just says it was disconnected. So maybe that is still the box but it isn't hooked up.

I hate it when they leave obsolete stuff in the plane instead of taking it out when decommissioned. When I put in a GNS-430W ages ago it was unbelievable the amount of obsolete avionics, antennas, and wiring that was pulled out, like 15 lb worth of junk.

Any good avionics shop will remove unused junk. When I got my panel upgrade, they found 12 pounds of wire and disconnected junk from behind the gauges.

Clandestine DEA transponder to track your whereabouts.

Back