Fly Right
Name this aircraft...

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 74
Steve said:
hehe... I was thinking "Look Ma, No Wheels"

No. It's Daffy, as in Daffy Duck. One of the many cartoons had him belly sliding to a stop in a crash landing, nose on the ground, wings spread out, tail up in the air. He looked just like that picture from almost that same angle.

"GUMPS.................I thought you were talking about Forrest!!!"

As they say, here is the rest of the story... (from another board)

Subject: FW: Diego Garcia USAF B-1 Mishap - Update

FYI – Should have runway cleared by Friday afternoon. Emergency ops from taxiway (was old runway). Looks like unintentional gear up. B1 was flying in from CONUS swapping out with B-52s. XO’s email below provides addition details. R/Pat
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Subject: USAF B-1 Mishap - Update

Admiral, CoS,

Plan (draft attached) is to be back in normal operations by sometime Friday. We are going to use our heavy-lift crane in conjunction with lifting bags we have on hand to raise the B-1 and lower the landing gear. In order to move the crane from Port Operations we have to disassemble the crane (24 hrs), move the crane, reassemble the crane (24 hrs), level and test, and then we'll be ready to begin lift operations - again, hopefully Friday. Concurrent with this plan, the Air Force is working on flying additional heavy lift bags but that will take about a week. If we have been successful at moving the B-1 the USAF will turn off the heavy lift bags. The PACAF and NSF folks have been working closely over the past 12 hours and have put together a solid plan. Safety has been stressed at every turn. As a matter of fact, at the planning meeting today the quote from the Air Force was, "No one was hurt when the B-1 landed and no one will be hurt when it's moved."

Given the emergency nature of flight operations from our taxiway, we intend to limit flight operations to emergency only and I request your pre-approval to allow Emergency Medivac flights as well as any alert combat launches. Neither mission has a significant probability of launching but I would like to be ready to authorize if necessary. The B-1s are maintaining an alert status for Centcom but believe the chance of launching to be less than 1% - if they got the call it would only be for no-kidding critical combat missions. I don't intend to permit any other flights such as normal passenger or cargo service - we can survive until the weekend without personnel transfer and FFV (I've eaten plenty of brown salads onboard ship and we'll be just fine).

From all indications, it appears this was a good, old fashioned, unintentional gear up landing. Investigation is ongoing but a preliminary scrub of the tower transmission tapes has our controllers telling the B-1 to report a five mile final with the gear. They received a positive response. Pilot in command was an O-4.

V/r, Pearl
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Subject: USAF B-1 Mishap

Admiral, CoS,

We had a B-1 land gear-up a little before midnight (local). No injuries to crew or ground personnel - crew egressed normally. Unknown if mishap was due to landing gear failure or pilot error - USAF investigating. I am not yet in receipt of OPREP-3 sent by USAF - will readdress once received. Currently, we are without a runway and are emergency operations with the taxiway. We have NOTAMed the field and have cancelled routine AMC flights until we can get the runway reopened.

NSF/USAF are exploring options for clearing the runway to allow us to resume normal operations. If we have lift capacity and can get the aircraft raised and gear lowered we should be back in operation quickly. USAF is also exploring dragging the aircraft clear of the runway to expedite normal ops. NSF Air Operations and Public Works personnel have been actively involved with PACAF Det and 40th AEG throughout the night and we should have a better idea of the complete situation once we can assess after sunrise.

B-52s are being replaced by the B-1s in the 40th AEG for this next 120 day rotation and believe this crew was making their initial flight into Diego Garcia. 40th AEG Change of Command from Col Mick Guthals to Col Scott Vander Hamm is scheduled for 1300 today (9 May).

As Skipper Birklund is fond of saying, "You never know what the day will bring." I'll keep you updated on status. Skipper is still off island but I am in contact with him.

V/r, Pearl

DiegoGarcia Admin Guy said:
Investigation is ongoing but a preliminary scrub of the tower transmission tapes has our controllers telling the B-1 to report a five mile final with the gear. They received a positive response. Pilot in command was an O-4.
(emphasis added)
Hmmm... WAS an O-4?

Yeah, well, you just gotta KNOW that they're gonna hold this against ya, somehow, you know?

Back