Mystery Aircraft Quiz #27

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
The president of a prominent GA manufacturer was quoted in a national magazine concerning the pending introduction of his company's new model:
"Within 24 months after the first [***] comes off the production line, within 24 months after the weight-and-balance of the first production [***], in my opinion, production of the Beechcraft Bonanza, S-35 or whatever name they want to give it, production will cease."
What new model was he talking about?

(No, it wasn't Jim Bede! B))

-- Pilawt

John J said:
Was it the intro of the pressurized Mooney Mustang?
Indeed it was!

The above quote by Mooney president Hal Rachal appeared in an article by Flying magazine staff writer Richard Bach in December 1964.

About thirty Mark 22 Mustangs were ultimately built. Their competitive pressure has no doubt limited Bonanza production to only 8,500 units or so since 1964. ;)

Development of the unsuccessful Mark 22 was a huge financial drain on Mooney. On top of that, Cavalier, which was then marketing updated P-51's, obtained a court order to prevent Mooney from using the Mustang name.

It was a wild time in the GA industry!

-- Pilawt

pilawt;

It was a wild time for sure. It sure was fun and a lot of interesting planes came out such as the Champ Lancer Twin.

Thanks for bringing back some great memories

John

John J said:
It sure was fun and a lot of interesting planes came out such as the Champ Lancer Twin.
Oh, my. Two 100-hp engines and tons of drag. Single engine ceiling was about the level of the Marianas Trench. It must have been fun trying to keep fixed-pitch props synchronized! :eek:

-- Pilawt

Pilawt said:
Oh, my. Two 100-hp engines and tons of drag. Single engine ceiling was about the level of the Marianas Trench. It must have been fun trying to keep fixed-pitch props synchronized! :eek:

-- Pilawt

Got any specs on that old twin ?

Pilawt said:
They're in an old reference book I have at home. When I get home from work tonight I'll post it.

-- Pilawt

Looks like it had the potential to be a respectable bush-twin...

Dave Krall CFII said:
Got any specs on that old twin ?
Champion Model 402 Lancer:

First flight March 10, 1963

Power Plants: 2 x Continental O-200-A, 100 hp each, fixed-pitch propellers
75% cruise: 120 mph
65% cruise: 115 mph
SL Rate of Climb: 642 fpm
Service Ceiling: 12,000 ft
Range: 710 mi.
Empty Weight: 1,790 lb
Gross Weight: 2,450 lb

17 Lancers remain on the FAA register.

-- Pilawt

Last edited:
Pilawt said:

-- Pilawt

Thanks for the "Twin Cessna 150 specs"...

Pilawt said:

-- Pilawt

There's a couple of those around, Al Martin used to have one in a crate if someone is looking for a project. Try asking for him around Wichita Valley Airport (F14) in N. Texas. Last known address was in Electra and he had the big hangar on F14.

The Lancer had some other odd features ... the front seat occupant had a wheel control, but there was a stick in the back. There was no differential braking; a single lever under the panel controlled both brakes simultaneously. Dual sets of throttle and mixture levers, and a single set of carb heat knobs, were hung from the left side of the cabin ceiling.

-- Pilawt

Pilawt said:
The Lancer had some other odd features ... the front seat occupant had a wheel control, but there was a stick in the back. There was no differential braking; a single lever under the panel controlled both brakes simultaneously. Dual sets of throttle and mixture levers, and a single set of carb heat knobs, were hung from the left side of the cabin ceiling.

-- Pilawt

Wow, make that a twin Piper Cub or something. I should enlarge those thumbnails !

Back