Mystery Aircraft Quiz #26

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
Each of the aircraft pictured below ended its production run as a product of a manufacturer other than the one with which it began. What was the last manufacturer of each?

-- Pilawt

Last edited:
Univair Stinson 108-5 (final version)
Started out as Stinson 105, by Vultee (Convair), improved as 108-1,-2, -3, then Piper picked it briefly. Univair Aircraft acquired the rights from Piper and built one w/180hp as 108-5.

Piper Aerostar PA-60 (final version)
Originally designed and built by Ted Smith (designer of the Aero Commander twins), then Butler Aviation, and then Piper Aircraft.

Piper Enforcer PA-48 (final version)
Design based on North American F-51 with Merlin V-12, Cavalier added Rolls-Royce turboprop, then Piper Aircraft gave it shot with a Lycoming turboprop.

Good show! I didn't know about the Univair 108-5. I was actually fishing for a Piper-Piper-Piper hat trick with this question, but you outfoxed me. The 108-3 in the photo was one of those built with a "Piper Stinson" logo on the cowl.

--

Pilawt

I had a old-timer (back before I could be considered an old-timer myself) tell me there was no such thing as a 108-5, but I was too intimidated by his tenure on the field at the time to argue the point, and it was not worth risking a friendship.

I'm enjoying your examples. To me the "one-off" designs are much more interesting than the mainstream.

Pilawt said:
Good show! I didn't know about the Univair 108-5. I was actually fishing for a Piper-Piper-Piper hat trick with this question, but you outfoxed me. The 108-3 in the photo was one of those built with a "Piper Stinson" logo on the cowl.

--

Pilawt

Back