Mystery Aircraft Quiz #25

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
"The Mod Squad"

Major modifications of existing production airplanes were popular in the 1950's and 60's -- these were more than just increased horsepower or restyled cowls or wingtips. On what production models were the following modifications based?

a. Swearingen Excalibur

b. Wren 460

c. Bay Aviation Super V

d. Temco Riley Twin

e. Howard 500
-- Pilawt

a. Beech Queen Air

b. Cessna 182

c. Beech V-tail C35 Bonanza

d. Navion

e. Lockheed Ventura

Except for the Excalibur I've seen these conversions either at OSH or Sun n Fun . I looked hard at the Peterson 260SE which is a Wren derivative before I bought the plane I have now. I like a plane that can get off the ground in under 300'.

edit: odd, I did not double post but the software thinks I did apparently.

Last edited:
Steve said:
a. Beech Queen Air
Yes, substantially cleaned up and re-engined. The first Excaliburs were Twin Bonanza airframes, but it was a logical step up to a Queen Air. Swearingen based its first Merlin turboprop on many Queen Air components, so it can be said that even the Swearingen Metro airliner is part of the Beech Bonanza family tree.

b. Cessna 182
Yes, heavily modified for STOL. It had full-span, double-slotted flaps, huge spoilers atop the wing for roll control, and canard surfaces mounted to the sides of the cowl.

c. Beech V-tail C35 Bonanza
Right, a twin-engine conversion.

d. Navion
Right, another twin-engine conversion. Jack Riley worked with Temco before going on to "Riley Rocket" fame on his own.

e. Lockheed Ventura
The G-V of their day! Howard 500's were converted US Navy surplus PV-1's; old RCAF Venturas became Howard 250's.

Five for five!

I looked hard at the Peterson 260SE which is a Wren derivative before I bought the plane I have now. I like a plane that can get off the ground in under 300'.
Apparently "Air America" did, too. I understand they had some Wrens.

If the Howard 500 was the G-V of its day, the On Mark Marksman would have been the Citation X of its day. Anyone recall that one?

-- Pilawt

Pilawt said:
Yes, heavily modified for STOL. It had full-span, double-slotted flaps, huge spoilers atop the wing for roll control, and canard surfaces mounted to the sides of the cowl.

One of these lives near Collegedale, here is a shot that shows the spoilers and sloted flaps (full span!!!) atop the wing, but you really cannot see the canard wings on the cowl.

Strange looking beast.

Bill Jennings said:
One of these lives near Collegedale,

Hmm, looking up the tail #, this one is from VA, but must visit here often, as it is over there often.

Last edited:
Pilawt said:
Yes, substantially cleaned up and re-engined. The first Excaliburs were Twin Bonanza airframes, but it was a logical step up to a Queen Air. Swearingen based its first Merlin turboprop on many Queen Air components, so it can be said that even the Swearingen Metro airliner is part of the Beech Bonanza family tree.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3462

Oh man, that's an Excalibur T-Bone.... that's worth at least the left one for a nice one.B)

Bill Jennings said:
You seem to have a real soft spot for the T-bones, must be nice planes.

It's big fat and roomy and flies like a Beech, what's not to like, now stick 800 hp on it....

Back