Mystery Aircraft Quiz #24

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!!!! Flying car!!!! (and that's about all I remember from reading a Popular Mechanics article years ago!!!)
edit - Bzzz wrong answer ... just googled the vintage flying cars and the Taylor Aerocar had 4 wheels (car-like) ... so, in the words of Emily Litella "Never mind"

Last edited:
Are they the same thing, or is this a "same idea, different implementation" thing?

The older'-looking one is (I think) an Anderson-Greenwood AG-14, built at Sam Houston Airport in Houston (long one).

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/TX/Airfields_TX_HoustonS.htm#samhouston

The newer one, with the swept-ish wing, I have no idea.

Are we getting to the point here?

SCCutler said:
The older'-looking one is (I think) an Anderson-Greenwood AG-14, built at Sam Houston Airport in Houston

Right! A little added trivia, Anderson-Greenwood much later controlled the Bellanca company, and Marvin Greenwood was responsible for the design of the T-250 Aries (Quiz #11).

Steve said:
The other is a Cessna XMC

Right!

Are they the same thing, or is this a "same idea, different implementation" thing?

More the latter. Realizing that the rear engine of the Skymaster was so much more efficient than the front, Cessna wanted to see whether a twin-boom pusher arrangement might squeeze more respectable performance out of a small engine in a trainer-class airplane. Cessna engineers had rented an AG-14 back in the '50s to investigate its qualities, but were unimpressed with it. So they designed a new proof-of-concept prototype, the Model 1014 XMC ("Experimental Magic Carpet"). Apparently any benefits derived did not outweigh the inherent problems in such a configuration, such as noise, engine cooling, crashworthiness and control system friction. The 1014 was later re-worked into the Model 1034 to test a shrouded-prop pusher concept. You know how many of those are flying around these days, so that must not have been a smashing success, either.

-- Pilawt

Back