Mystery Aircraft Quiz #16

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
This late 1960's product was simultaneously marketed under two completely different names. It had a 220-hp Franklin engine, and the interior was designed by Pinin Farina. What was it?

It's a Marchetti S205; was also sold here (and IIRC, assmebled here?) by Waco, and marketed under that name.

Have heard it to be a sweet-flying bird.

Am I on?

*Edit*

The Pinin Farina triggered it for me!

SCCutler said:
It's a Marchetti S205; was also sold here (and IIRC, assmebled here?) by Waco, and marketed under that name.

Have heard it to be a sweet-flying bird.

Am I on?
Right on! The full name here was Waco S-220 Sirius.

Siriusly. :rolleyes:

The gorgeous Marchetti SF.260 was briefly sold here as Waco Meteor, as well.

You guys are getting too good for me. I've got my annual Christmas cold :(, so I'm going to bed now, and I'll come up with more tomorrow. G'night.

-- Pilawt

Last edited:
want to make them harder? Black out the N-Number. I'm not accusing anyone of cheating, but....

Aww, Nick, c'mon.

This one was pretty random for me, but I spotted it based upon (1) the Italian designer reference, and (2) the fact that, a few months ago, I saw a "Waco (Marchetti)" for sale on one of the Internet planes for sale sites, and looked at it at some length because I had never previously known about the rebranding.

Looking up the tail number would be cheating. Right? Would sorta miss the point.

SCCutler said:
Looking up the tail number would be cheating. Right? Would sorta miss the point.
I checked it before I posted the photo -- that Waco is not on the FAA register now. I've altered or blanked out the tail numbers on some of the photos in this series ... you guys aren't cheaters, you're just resourceful! :p

-- Pilawt

Back