Myrtle Beach Plans

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
When the weather breaks......

Kicking around plans for Myrtle Beach (KMYR). This trip is two fold, beach time and relaxation of course and a visit to our friends daughter attending Coastal College University in Conway (HYW) and a nephew working in Sumter (SMS).

Mary and I would love to stay on the beach at a nice place with no real need for rental vehicle unless we want to explore beyond the sand. Mary did mention "outlets" and I know that's NEVER good. We do not golf.

I would rather make our first stop Ocracoke but I guess that will wait for even later in the year.

Starting my folder for S.C. Vacations and looking for any info......what can you tell me about any of the above locations.

Brook,

I haven't checked that out....yet. I guess I can check out places to stay in North Myrtle too. I figure at least a four day vacation including a day to hop around to visit the others.

Our friend called last night to tell us how loooong the trip was to visit the University...(9 hours)....lol....she then asked how long a flight that would be. Ok so maybe a first stop in conway to drop her off and then over to MYR. Geezzz one short hop to St. Michaels for some Christmas shopping and a parade and she's hooked. Just what I need, a shopping partner for Mary, that can't be good mojo.

Did you look into KCRE as another option for Myrtle Beach?

If you do go into CRE, I was very impressed with their staff. Excellent service, and they rent their own cars as well, and at a reasonable rate if you do decide to get a car.

I have been to CRE several times and the service was always good. They rent Focus's for $35.00 a day. Your five minutes to the hotels and the beach.

Iv'e been to both KCRE and KMYR many times. CRE is more centrally located. MYR is the southern part on the old air base. Both FBOs are good and have low cost rentals. MYR is more oriented with the winds and if they are kicking up you won't have as much, if any crosswind. CRE is normally a crosswind comeing from the left with some turbulance over the trees if you land from the norht east. I think CRE is located closer to the Conway roads, but I may be mistaken about that. There is good lodging near both bit CRE is more centrally located.

As to lodging, this time of year there are lots of on beach rooms available at decent prices. Any of the larger resorts would do fine. I Haven't stayed at MB in years, usually go down for the day.

Now.. ask me where to stay at Hilton Head... :p

Myrtle Beach is crowded and a bit of a zoo.
You might also consider going up shore abit to Ocean Isle (60J).
Can't speak for the A/P, but the beach is far more sane!

Thanks for all the info. Nothing better then getting the straight scoop on different places!

I'll look into 60J and check the area, thanks for the heads up.

Ocean Isle is an unattended airport, or at least was last time I went there. Not too far from the beach but it is a hike.

OK, where do you like to stay on Hilton Head? (planning to do that sometime late spring)

Well it depends on your lenght of stay, budget and what you want to do.

We've tried several of the plantations for a weeks stay but our preference is Sea Pines. It's largest, has more to do and beach access is great due to the trolly line. It's also very quiet. Has miles of bike trails and severl of the islands night life spots. (Harbortown/South Beach Marina etc...) To get access to them if you stay somewhere else you have to get a gate pass for 5 dollars I think. Good for one day I believe.

Plantion club at Seapines is nice. Not on the beach but has a trolly stop, 2 pools. Right next to the sea pines country club for Golf. They have town house villas that are 2 story and are very nice and roomy. The end units are good as you only have someone on one side then. The other units are 4 story buildings with 1 floor units.

Harbour town is good too if you like night life. It's in sea pines and there are several places there to stay. A harbour side villa is nice so you can watch the sunset and people in the harbour.

If Golf is your thing I'd recomend Shipyard Plantation. They have good rates with rentals and some really nice courses. Parking at the beach is limited and they don't have a beach club like seapines does with a restaurant.

Hotels-
Marriot Ocean grand is very nice and on the beach

Hoilday in has one on the beach at Coligny circle which is public access. Lots of shopping right across the street as well as some of the islands better restaruants. A must eat for us is The Big Bamboo cafe at Coligny circle. It's modeled after a WWII pacific officers club inside and the food is awesome. They usually have some great early bird specials.

The Westin hotel/resort is also located on the beach and is a really nice hotel. It's not too far from the airport up near the sound.

If you're on a limited budget, there are a couple of Hampton Inn/Comfort suites type hotels that aren't on the beach but are close by.

You can also rent houses on the beach. We've never done that there because it's way out of our budget.

Back