My wife: surprises me again!

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
You guys gotta understand that my wife hates airplanes. B777 or PA18. Doesn't matter. We're talking serious white knuckles, and gasps of fear in a turn looking down at the ground over a wing.

I gave up trying to get her up in the R22 -- she thought it looked like a toy helicopter. Which it kinda is.

So I was a little surprised that when I got back here with the R44 and she said she wanted to go for a flight. I asked her where she wanted to go, and she said she wanted to see Longwood Gardens, Winterthur, and maybe the Main Line from the air.

We departed N99 about 1130 today and I was real careful to keep my first turn to about a 15 degree bank. No gasps! I followed Rt 202 to Rt 1, and then southeast to Longwood. Did a bunch of orbits slowed down to around 70 kt, got up to a 30 deg bank and still no gasps!

We followed Rt 52 down from Rt 1 to Winterthur and did some orbits after talking to ILG tower since I was near their airspace. Man, she's really getting into this!

We then intersected Rt 30 down the Main Line and orbited Villa Nova, then over Valley Forge Park and then she asked whether we could try to find her uncle's old house. Which we did! Then a pass over our house, down over Marsh Creek, then up the 30 bypass to Chester County for lunch. Then back to N99.

I can't believe it. My wife's become a rotorhead! When I parked the helo on the ramp, she was already talking about where she wants to go for her next flight.

I never thought I'd see this day -- this is really, really, cool :yes:

:heli:

Bob, I hope to have similar luck in getting my wife into the Pitts.

But I'm not particularly hopeful.

Ken, I'm sure the name of the plane doesn't help.

Good deal Bob! Do you think the increased visibility is a factor in her enjoyment of it?

Wow!!! Very cool! My wife has the same mindset about flying, but it would absolutely floor me if she exhibited that attitude about helicopters.

Congrats!

RotaryWingBob said:
I gave up trying to get her up in the R22 -- she thought it looked like a toy helicopter. Which it kinda is.
Yeah.. I've already been told I'll never get most of my family and probably my girlfriend up in an R22. Something about there not being doors and that it only weighs 800 lbs....

wbarnhill said:
Yeah.. I've already been told I'll never get most of my family and probably my girlfriend up in an R22. Something about there not being doors and that it only weighs 800 lbs....
Not to mention useful load and available seating for "most of...family and...girlfriend" ! Like stuffing a VW bug!!! :rofl:

gkainz said:
Not to mention useful load and available seating for "most of...family and...girlfriend" ! Like stuffing a VW bug!!! :rofl:

Or a MINI Cooper? ;)

Whoo-hhoooo! That's great news, Bob! Next thing you know, she'll be browsing ASO.com for Bell JetRangers...

That's great Bob. You sure picked a great day for the flight.

My wife feels the same way about flying. I'd love for her to go with me on some of my trips.

That's awesome. My wife white-knuckles so bad that it's no fun for me to fly with her. And I used to think that the kids liked flying with me, but it turns out that they just liked the donuts at the FBO.

Troy Whistman said:
Whoo-hhoooo! That's great news, Bob! Next thing you know, she'll be browsing ASO.com for Bell JetRangers...
Nah. It's gotta be at least a 407. And she has to figure out how to pay for it :yes:

Hey Bob that is FANTASTIC. Its great to be able to share your love of flight. I'm lucky my wife while not a aviation nut has no problem flying.

Back