My Western Route

bstratt

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Canuck
I've been doing a lot of planning and researching on the internet and here is what I've got so far. I'll decide at the last minute whether to fly this clockwise or counter clockwise depending on the weather.

Day 1 - Leave DuPage County (KDPA) with ultimate destination being Albuquerque, NM (Question - should it be KABQ or KAEG?) with stops at Kansas City (KMKC) and Liberal Muni (KLBL). Flying time ~8.75 hrs

Day 2 - Leave Albuquerque with ultimate destination being Las Vegas (Question - North Las Vegas or Las Vegas Int'l?) with stops at Sedona and Furnace Creek (Death Valley). Flying time ~ 5 hrs

Day 3 - Leave Las Vegas with ultimate destination being Albuquerque with stops at Blanding Muni (KBDG) after flying Grand Canyon and Monument Valley. Flying time ~4.5 hrs

Day 4 - Leave Albuquerque with ultimate destination being Black Hills - Clyde Ice Field (KSPF - Spearfish) with stops at Kit Carson County (KITR). Flying time ~6 hrs

Day 5 - Leave Spearfish to return home to KDPA with stops at Sioux Falls (KFSD). Flying time ~5.5 hrs

As I have 9 days, this gives me 4 days for weather delays and/or sightseeing in Deadwood.

Comments/suggestions?

Bruce, according to what I can see Bryce is surrounded by some very high terrain which made me nervous in my normally aspirated single. Is there a route in that you know which cuts through the hills, such as a road?

St. George is certainly doable but I've never heard of it. What makes it unique?

St. George: The Virgin River Gorge. Gotta do that on foot, it's a short walk, really, about eight feet wide and 250 feet deep. The colors are AMAZING.

If you can land at Tusayan, you can do Bryce. From Tusayan, cross at ZUNI corridor, continue VFR across the Marble Canyon Sector (the view is AMAZING, Marble Canyon bridge and the Glen Canyon Dam). At Page, the view of the South End of Lake Powell reminds us as to how teeny we really are. Then, do the V293 from Page, it's pretty sedate (8500 from PGA to CABER, last 35 nm at 11,000 MEA from CABER to BCE). But fly over the Colorado Plateau in the early AM, it gets bumpy this time of year.

If you don't see "Tall men standing in Round Canyon" on this trip, when are you going to see it?

In a normally aspirated single, the afternoon is hostile on the Colorado Plateau. The clear air surface heated turbulence is quite upsetting to family. Travel EARLY. Get a room at Bryce and stay overnight. Spend the NEXT day at Goulding's lodge for lunch 37 01mN 110 48m W, it's where all the John Wayne movies were made, dine in comfort and with El Capitan in sight. Land toward the bluff, depart away (3,500 feet). Don't mistake the road for the runway. Then over the Navajo/Hopi Plateau to Zuni Blackrock in Northern NM. The spouse buys jewelry right there on the runway.

You CAN do the Shake and Bake tour at Canyon DuChelly (Chinle, packed macadam), which is a Navajo Canyon in the middle of the desert, lush, with cave dweller dwellings, heiroglyphs, and water three feet below the surface. The Navajo use old Army Half tracks to take you around. Don't leave anything in the A/C, Guardian Air ambulance might let you into their hangar for a fee. (Imagine how comfortable a Piper seat would be in a thatched Hogan). It's a Tony Hillerman novel real time and live.

Then spend a pricey night in comfortable Santa Fe, where the wife will be quite comfortable, and dine out. There's also La Posada in Winslow, which is Southern Pacific's 1890's resort destination.

Email me for more; Keep the missus smiling!

Last edited:
bstratt said:
Bruce, according to what I can see Bryce is surrounded by some very high terrain which made me nervous in my normally aspirated single. Is there a route in that you know which cuts through the hills, such as a road?
For a similar experience but requiring somewhat less aircraft performance, a little bit west of Bryce Canyon is Cedar Breaks National Monument, a smaller version of Bryce Canyon, but deeper, more color and not as touristy. Land at Cedar City (KCDC, elev. 5622' with clear approaches from three sides), drive up Cedar Canyon to Cedar Breaks. The visitor center is on the rim at the 10,500' level. BTW, a ranger there told us there are no cedar trees in Utah.

Santa Fe NM (KSAF) is certainly worth a visit. History, art, dining, trendy shopping.

There is spectacular terrain around St. George (KSGU), and it is the closest airport to Zion National Park.

-- Pilawt

bbchien said:
Then spend a pricey night in comfortable Santa Fe, where the wife will be quite comfortable, and dine out.

Keep the missus smiling!

Just me going - the wife is too nervous (so I don't have to worry about being at gross at least!). Don't think I have the time to do Santa Fe but I'll look at fitting these in. I want to have at least two days in Deadwood at the end so if the weather acts up I may even have to cut the Death Valley/Sedona bit out.

BCE is a NON issue with terrain. The higher terrain is a couple miles east. north, south, and west there is no terrain. I did it in my plane with a DA of 11,400 and it was a yawner.

Oh, NO SPOUSE.

Definitely do Monument Valley (referred to previously as Goulding's Lodge) This is one of the Babbitt family's old trading posts now a hotel/restaurant. Definitely do the Shake and Bake in Hillerman Country (Canyon DuChelly, pronounced "du-chez"). Without spouse, skip Zuni, skip Sedona (the Aircraft carrier aspect of the landing is worth it but Oak Creek Canyon is a charred ruin, right now).

If you have enough time, rent a car at Bryce and drive for the day also to Zion National Park, where all the rock, limestone shelves, everything is at 45 degrees and the road go under the waterfalls.

Without spouse I'd go to Canyon Bar 10 (north rim) or the bus tour out of Canyon West (the Hualapai reservation). It's an old yellow school bus running right along the ridge. Although there are 8800 foot mountains and the strip is at 4000, the canyon is wide enough to do a racetrack climb and descent. 122.8. Avoid Tusayan all together.

Last edited:
bbchien said:
Oh, NO SPOUSE.
Barry, as usual Bruce is giving you GREAT advice. But pay attention to the punctuation.

He did not say: Oh NO! Spouse!

:rofl: :goofy:

-Skip

I second Monument Valley, and if you can, fly to KPGA (page, az). there you'll see some great views of Lake Powell. Also, St George is pretty awesome.
If you're anywhere near it, go to KCNY (Moab, UT). I flew from PGA to CNY, then CNY to U43 (Monticello, UT) south over Blanding, then west to PGA again thru monument valley. It was awesome.
As far as Vegas is concerned, I used VGT, and they worked just fine for me. The FBO will give you a ride from the airport, but you're on your own getting back, which is a a minor drag. I think the landing fee there was around 10 bucks or so.
Have fun. Wish I was there

bstratt said:
Day 4 - Leave Albuquerque with ultimate destination being Black Hills - Clyde Ice Field (KSPF - Spearfish) with stops at Kit Carson County (KITR). Flying time ~6 hrs
You have something specific you want to see in Burlington? Just curious. I used to have to spend all day there on occasion.

Everskyward said:
You have something specific you want to see in Burlington? Just curious. I used to have to spend all day there on occasion.
Nope, it was just abut half way that's all. It's just a refuelling stop.

bbchien said:
Oh, NO SPOUSE.

Definitely do Monument Valley (referred to previously as Goulding's Lodge) This is one of the Babbitt family's old trading posts now a hotel/restaurant. Definitely do the Shake and Bake in Hillerman Country (Canyon DuChelly, pronounced "du-chez"). Without spouse, skip Zuni, skip Sedona (the Aircraft carrier aspect of the landing is worth it but Oak Creek Canyon is a charred ruin, right now).

If you have enough time, rent a car at Bryce and drive for the day also to Zion National Park, where all the rock, limestone shelves, everything is at 45 degrees and the road go under the waterfalls.

Without spouse I'd go to Canyon Bar 10 (north rim) or the bus tour out of Canyon West (the Hualapai reservation). It's an old yellow school bus running right along the ridge. Although there are 8800 foot mountains and the strip is at 4000, the canyon is wide enough to do a racetrack climb and descent. 122.8. Avoid Tusayan all together.

Well I just spent the first $130 of the trip by ordering all the sectionals, AFD's and IFR stuff I'll need. When I get the sectionals I'll review all the suggestions and look at the approach to BCE from the west as Ed suggested. I'm beginning to think this should have been a two week trip!

Bruce, my wife and I spent 4 days in Sedona this spring and did the Copper Canyon drive to the Grand Canyon, etc. I visited the airport but never got to fly so it really is just for that aircraft carrier landing plus a little site seeing from the air.

bstratt said:
Day 1 - Leave DuPage County (KDPA) with ultimate destination being Albuquerque, NM (Question - should it be KABQ or KAEG?) with stops at Kansas City (KMKC) and Liberal Muni (KLBL). Flying time ~8.75 hrs

I like AEG, gas is about $1/gal cheaper than ABQ and I met Skyhog there although he didn't introduce me to Piper.

bstratt said:
Day 2 - Leave Albuquerque with ultimate destination being Las Vegas (Question - North Las Vegas or Las Vegas Int'l?) with stops at Sedona and Furnace Creek (Death Valley). Flying time ~ 5 hrs
I like North Las Vegas. Gas at McCarren was $6.10 last month plus $25 landing fee. It's cheaper to rent a car at VGT or you can get a free shuttle to the strip and a $40 cab ride back. Parking is $5/day if you stay over 6 hrs. To rent a car at VGT call First Flight Aviation (702) 647-4111 in advance.

Joe

Last edited:
Areeda said:
I like AEG, gas is about $1/gal cheaper than ABQ and I met Skyhog there although he didn't introduce me to Piper.

I like North Las Vegas. Gas at McCarren was $6.10 last month plus $25 landing fee. It's cheaper to rent a car at VGT or you can get a free shuttle to the strip and a $40 cab ride back. Parking is $5/day if you stay over 6 hrs.

Joe

Thanks Joe.

If you do goto Bryce, Which i highly recomend. Make sure it is a calm wind day!! That canyon can throw you a giant curve on windy days. Also, After you leave Vegas before hitting Sedona, stop by Havasu, Ill buy ya a coffee :)

bbchien said:
skip Sedona (the Aircraft carrier aspect of the landing is worth it but Oak Creek Canyon is a charred ruin, right now).

Actually, i was suprised, There is no visible damage to the canyon, however, tourism is down due to people thinking it was destroyed by fire. Most of the fire was over ridges you cant see from the road. Still a breath taking place to visit.

Wow - I totally missed this thread. For suggestions in the 'Burque:

KABQ: Expensive Fuel, very convienient to the city, and many nice FBOs
KAEG: Cheaper fuel (not cheap), and way out west of the city, about a 30 minute drive from anything decent, really. Plus you have to use Bode Aero which is a nightmare since they took over the other FBO on field.

Pick your poison, obviously KAEG is geared more towards GA as it is currently a Class E airport vs. KABQ's Class C status. If you're here on the weekend, I can take you out to dinner or something on a Friday or Saturday night (Sunday is out due to work).

Let me know!

Any idea how much more expensive? Taxi ride from AEG would probably make up for some.

I had just PM'd you. Weather permitting, I'll be arriving Saturday evening/late afternoon on the west bound trip, then Monday night heading back East bound. I'll let you know as the weather picture becomes clearer.

bstratt said:
Nope, it was just abut half way that's all. It's just a refuelling stop.
OK, it just seemed a little east of the route between KABQ and KSPF. They do have an old carousel in Burlington and a museum set up like a little town. They also have a courtesy car if you want to get some lunch. The service is good as the airport manager lives next door to the airport and is almost always around.

bstratt said:
Any idea how much more expensive? Taxi ride from AEG would probably make up for some.

I second the North Las Vegas recommendation, but in Alburquerque I would fuel at Santa Fe on the way into ABQ, and then park at ABQ and take minimal fuel to dump any ramp/landing/tie-down fees (if that's even possible). According to http://www.airnav.com, ABQ is $5.15/gal, AEG is $3.99, and SAF is $3.75. ABQ is way more convenient than AEG. Unless you are flying something with 60+ gallon capacity and arriving on fumes the cab fare from AEG would kill you versus the fuel price difference.

I also like North Vegas.

On the route between ABQ and VGT, you'll find that St. Johns, Arizona typically has some of the best fuel prices in the region. So if you take Ed's suggestion and take on fuel at SAF, and enough to avoid fees at ABQ, and then continue on to St. Johns for a fill-up, you'll be ahead of the game.

bstratt said:
Comments/suggestions?

You'd get there faster in a Tiger.

And have more fun too! :rofl:

Back