My weakest area: knowledge of A&P ...how to improve?

MetalCloud

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MetalCloud
So by far my weakest area is knowing more about my engine, turbochargers, components, electrical, etc.

Would it be helpful to do the A&P course through King just to understand this stuff better? Or what's a better way to get a more firm grasp on the basics?

I love this stuff. So much to learn!

My ground school course is all unfortunately in Norwegian, I'm American and it is a little extra hurdle.
Could someone tell me what A&P actually stands for?
From the names on the links I'm thinking it has to do with regulations but also motor and airframe?
One of my textbooks is "fly Og motorlære" but that is only covering the airframe, separate book for Norwegian regulations.

I've seen this come up in several threads where it also seems to be mechanic related...

Thanks for any help here.

Read Read Read Read. If you have the Jepesnen( I think that's it) pilots manual and the Faa regulations Dictonary, I mean manual, there is a lot of great info in there about this, and also, ASK QEUSTIONS. Ask your instructor questions all the time, in my experience they like it of you do, just don't interrupt!

Seems like mechanics tend not to be too good at electrical. That and reading manuals. Can only do so much in school. Just get out there as fast as possible and start working on planes. THAT'S how you learn to fix things!!! School just gets you started.

Build an airplane in your garage. You learn all sorts of things....

So by far my weakest area is knowing more about my engine, turbochargers, components, electrical, etc.

Would it be helpful to do the A&P course through King just to understand this stuff better? Or what's a better way to get a more firm grasp on the basics?

I love this stuff. So much to learn!

All you need to know is suck, squeeze, bang and blow.

Seriously. It works for everything.
Example - you flip the landing light switch and the circuit sucks the electrons out the battery, squeezed them through the wire, "bangs" the light on and blow the electrons back to the battery.
you lower the hydraulic landing gear and sucks the fluid out of the reservoir, squeezes it through the pump, "bangs" the gear down and blows the fluid back into the reservoir.

You can use this model for almost anything mechanical/electrical.

Back