My PPL checkride experience - Long Debrief

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
I will make this a multi post long debrief for other students out there who are sweating their **** off like I was and hopefully it will easy you a little or not, it didn't for me.

please note, I am a freshly minted pilot, and I am just sharing my experience, take it with a grain of salt. check and verify with your CFI.

Get your paperwork in order, your CFI should help you with this, if not ensure IACRA is done, keep a paper copy, all your endorsements are in order (if its close to 90 days since your solo endorsement, get another one), if you are taking the ride in your plane , be prepared to carry all log books for mx records and any relevant AD paperwork and know your (or the rental) airplane in and out. during my ride my DPE told me that there are lot of people who don't always knows what certain instrument in their plane does. you are not doing yourself any good there.

I called my DPE and gave him 3 days I could fly, he was available for the first one and I snatched it. he gave me a XC to plan, gave his weight etc. I clarified if he would be carrying any bags etc. he also asked me if I was going to use a EFB to plan the flight, I told him yah and he said good, plan with real-time weather. I clarified if he would like me to do a nav log by hand, he asked me .... next weekend if you go to Duluth with your buddy, would you do nav log by hand? if not, don't do it, I know u can (my DPE is also the chief flight instructor of my flight school and all instructors are required to teach how to do nav log by hand, I had to do it 3 times for 2 xc and once for the mock check ride). so yah, I know how to do it, but in real world, I wont be doing it by hand. your mileage may vary, check with your DPE. I also clarified if its ok to do W&B in my app, he said do whatever u will do in real world.

next stop, I planned my XC, posted here and got some great feedback and things to watch out for, spoke to a local student pilot in FCM - all these are resources available to you as a pilot when u are going to an unfamiliar airport and things are sketchy with bravo shelf hanging over your head and as a student pilot without a Bravo endorsement , you are not legal to fly into Bravo.

my written exam was not to long ago and I remember most of it, all I did was just brushed up on airspaces. I did not try to cram the night before, it doesn't help. in fact, I got hold my CFI the morning of my ride and flew for an hour reviewing steep turns, engine out and specialty landings. it retrospect, I probably didn't need it, but I just couldn't stay at home and look at my EFB and do nothing till mid afternoon.

during the practice flight that morning, my CFI was specially hard on me. after my check points, he failed my GPS, MFD, iPad, Phone and asked me to divert to the nearest field. the nearest field didn't have a VOR, I had to tune to another VOR, extrapolate the radial for the uncontrolled field and use pilotage and some VOR to get there. then he had me do a dead stick landing. did some soft field take off and short field landings and then came back to fargo, he asked me to stay high and do a forward slip to land.

I came at pattern altitude within 3 miles of the runway and got a call from tower that I never thought I will get "Cherokee slow down, there is a Cessna and a cub on short final". not sure what the Cessna was doing, I tried to get a right 360 and rejoin final, instead got a clear to land when I am on top of the numbers, still 1000 ft AGL. the Cessna was asked to go around. while I was preparing to go around, CFI said, you got a engine failure, no go around for you. I slipped like a mad man and landed with 2000 ft runway left on a 6k runway. gave a huge boost to my confidence, but I will tell you right now that I wont be pulling off a stunt like that anytime soon, but good to know that I can and land in that situation without bending anything.

next oral portion.

Last edited:
Oral portion

Showed up with a ton of log books, MX records (especially important if you are getting a plane that the DPE is new to). at the beginning of the test DPE will walk you through the IACRA stuff and also lay the ground rules for the exam. he is required to tell you when the exam starts, what is expected out of you and if you fail, he will let you know that right away too. review of the flight training log book, required hrs, required endorsements were done in first 30-40 mins or so.

next the oral portion starts and it started with the review of your XC. be prepared to answer why you chose that route, how you chose that route, alternate airports etc. I volunteered a ton of information including every airspace I will fly through and what the visibility requirements are in those airspaces even before he asks. some might say stick to answering what has been asked, I don't buy that. the oral exam is more of a discussion rather than playing 20 Q. he is trying to figure out if you have the judgement to make a safe flight with your family onboard, if he has to pry out all the information from you, you are essentially digging a hole for yourself. see my planned route below and my rational for choosing the route. Another pilot may disagree with my approach, but this is what I did in my exam and DPE seems to be happy about it and I plan to follow this reasoning down the road. yah it will would add 10-15 mins to my flight since I am not flying a straight line, but going there fast is the last in my priority list.

Capture.PNG

this is what my reasoning is for this route:

• after I take off, my first check visual check point is KJKJ airport, in about 5 mins, hard to miss an airport and its right next to I-94. kinda hard to miss that too.
  • second visual check point is city of Barnesville which is also a VRF reporting point for KFAR Delta
  • I will then fly over Fergus Falls airport and match the time with the nav log to see how accurate the software actually is. I -94 is on my left - Pilotage and nav log portion done
  • my next checkpoint is KAXN, where I am going to switch my fuel talks - no better place to switch my tanks, in case something happens there is an airport rt under me and as per my calculation by the time I reach FCM and switch tanks over AXN my wings will be pretty much balanced
  • I chose 5500 ft for my cruising altitude because the wind aloft and temperature keeps me away from freezing temperatures - not a problem today, but as a VFR pilot I need to keep an eye out for freezing rain if there is precip on my way
  • next instead of going straight I chose to fly over KGYL because I don't have to get down to under 4k MSL until I am almost close to landing and the straight route takes me over very densely populated area. if I didn't have any option, I will, but since there is another option, I feel this is the best route for me as a single engine pilot. KGYL is also my alternate if weather turned south, it has fuel. another alternate about 50 nm out is KSTC in case any of my avionics failed like the transponder, I want to go to somewhere that has a big shop.
  • I want to ensure that I am keeping an eye out if asked to extend downwind on 28R and not bust the 2300 Bravo shelf at the same time stay at 1000 AGL due to noise abatement in that area.
  • if the winds are not above my personal minimums I would stick to the flow of traffic and ATC even if that means rny 36 was better aligned
  • before I reach this Class D airport if I have to land in any other airport, the visibility requirements are bla bla bla (cover Class Echo and Golf here)
after I finished my blabbering, he had 0 question on the xc planning. he did find a few restricted areas and MOA in the sectional and asked me few question on those.
then review of aircraft logs, I again volunteered a lot of information including the recent Lycoming AD and a copy of it. he asked me few questions about Carb heat, pitot-static, ELT etc
then some more questions of regs, pax for hire, CO poisoning, physiologic conditions, spatial disorientations etc. my oral was done in an hour. guess when you answer most of the questions correctly they don't drag it just for the heck of it.

following are the questions I missed

• how does Static system work - for my life I couldn't remember, so I told him what all instruments requires Static, what happens when it fails, how I will identify that the Static has failed, how I will switch on Alternate Static source and know that the Alt and ASI will be off a little. beyond this I can look it up in PHAK and tell u the exact science. he declined and let go
  • You are on a long XC and you were supposed to come back on Friday, wx happened and you are stuck there for 3 days. as it happens you annual date ran out. what will you do? - again I couldn'tt remember the name of the form that needs to be filled out. but I told him that I need to coordinate with an AP and FAA and get a piece of papers that lets my fly the plane back to my shop.
He read the test report and asked me few questions on the areas I had missed in the written test
Oral done.

Next the practical. before we started he will tell you a few other stuff like what he is judging on, what the minimums are etc. if you have read the ACS, you already know it. if you haven't, read it. I took a break and told him that I am going to eat something (shows u follow IMSAFE list, more importantly I get very cranky when I am hungry, u don't wanna be near me when I am hungry)

couple of things I missed posting in the oral section above... showed his the following too

1. something my CFI showed me for my XC, I did that on both my XC and plan on doing that down the road. its a matrix of all the frequencies I need for my XC that becomes a checklist of its own. you might get a diff freq, but these are from Low Alt IFR chart, so chances are pretty high that they will stick to this.

Capture.PNG

2. showed him an app called Gyronimo for W&B (and one done by hand). the benefit of this app is it is plane specific. spend $15 and get it. it has data from your POH and charts from your POH. it will ask for some info like weight ect, altimeter, evelation and wind components and tell you everything about envelop, ground roll (with charts from your POH), time to climb, fuel burn, 50 ft obstacle etc. awesome app. DPE also took a note on that to explore later. PS: I also offered him to show that I can draw those lines from graph as well, and I can, but I will use the app in real world.

3. showed him how I would file the plan from EFB, and how I got NOTAM, wind aloft, METAR, TAF etc from the EFB

Congrats sir! It’s been a lot of work and now you’re Pilot In Command!

Who’s the first passenger?

couple of friends have shown interest, might take one up tomorrow (its the same friend for which i almost ruined the GA experience, but she is willing to give it another shot in the co-pilot seat :p). doing a morning solo flight, weather is supposed to be beautiful around here with 5 kt wind predicted for the whole day, i might spend the better half of tomorrow in the air. next week is getting sketchy

Going non-stop on the oral worked for you, but might trap someone else. Mine was years ago and I was getting an enormous number of medical questions from the DPE (my CFI was allowed to sit in on the oral). I answered them and added each time, which I guess DPE's use to start probing for over-responding ... it just kept getting deeper. My CFI gently nudged the DPE and told him I work in the medical field. I think it would've continued and was probably my fault for providing a little too much info.

Congrats pilot!

Going non-stop on the oral worked for you, but might trap someone else. Mine was years ago and I was getting an enormous number of medical questions from the DPE (my CFI was allowed to sit in on the oral). I answered them and added each time, which I guess DPE's use to start probing for over-responding ... it just kept getting deeper. My CFI gently nudged the DPE and told him I work in the medical field. I think it would've continued and was probably my fault for providing a little too much info.

Congrats pilot!
Yah, I see your point, eventually he will ask u something you don't know. Good point.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back