My Powered Parachute Adventure

evapilotaz

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Drone airspace abuser
This is thread dedicated my Power Parachute flying.

Let me start off by saying I have been interested in power parachute flying for about 10 years.
The reason I haven't pursue it because the lack of PPC CFI's and flying sites in my Area.
Well last week I meet a Guy that owns a PPC and offered to take me for a Ride and to Train me for little or no cost. I just found out there is a place to fly PPC about 20 minutes from my house. I will have to travel to Apple Valley CA "6 hour Drive" to hook up with a CFI to do the PPC CheckRide. After I get the PPC sign off out of the way, I will Purchase a 2 place PPC.
Well that is the plan anyway. I hope to start off my training in a couple of weeks.

So I'm starting off reading this.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/media/powered_parachute_handbook.pdf

I will continue to rent airplanes and fly as PPL. What attracts me to PPC flying is low and slow type flying. I do not fly cross country and most of my type of flying is local sight seeing. PPC will allow me to do that at very little cost. Further down the road I want to take the 16 hour maintenance course so I can do my own maintenance. I believe I can do my own annuals after the course.

I will update this thread as I progress.

Wish me Luck.

Another thing I just realized the Guy that is offering to train me is not a CFI so I cannot Pay him. Any flying with him will not be logged as dual. He cannot sign me off to fly solo either.
Me being current PPL and getting a PPC Add on Rating, it doesn't require a certain amount dual time instruction required.

I will cover his fuel cost.

Let me know if there are huge flaws in the plan.

If you purchase a PPC that is an E-LSA, you can do all the maintenance you want without having to take the 16 hour course. The course allows you to perform the annual inspection after successfuly completing the course. I also fly PPC and it is great fun. Must fly only early in AM or prior to sunset and in low winds.

I want to do the 16 hour course because I want to learn as much as I can and I'm not sure where there is a place I can get Annual done without traveling far. I have to do more research.

I'm an early riser so I would love to get up at the crack of dawn and go PPC flying and watch the sun rise. Flying over the desert train low and slow maybe boring for some. Being able to spot coyotes, jack rabbits and other wild live animals cannot be done zooming along in a Cessna going over 100Kts.

Also I know flown in anything open air cockpit.

Back