My own grass strip.

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
I recently changed jobs and relocated, I remodeled a small farm house for a friend of mine and will be living in it for free in exchange for the labor. (About a years worth) The house sits on 55 ac of pretty open/flat land which would be perfect for a grass strip. (There are a few trees that will need to be removed)

Here comes the good part:

He has agreed to sell me the house and a narrow strip of land off the west edge of the property, which will give me enough room for a 1500' strip. In the mean time he has agreed to fence it off and prep it for use. (Mow it and roll it) There is an old machine shop that can be converted into a hangar pretty easily, but the wife wants to build a new hangar like Tom and Diana's that has an apartment in it.
So let the airplane shopping begin!!!!!:goofy:

Living the dream. Get a C185 and you'll never look back.

Dean, that is awesome! I'd hope to be able to have something like that one day.

As to what to get, the 185 sounds good. Anything with a lot of power in a small package and a tailwheel sounds great, really.

Can't wait to see pictures!

Dean, that is awesome! I'd hope to be able to have something like that one day.

As to what to get, the 185 sounds good. Anything with a lot of power in a small package and a tailwheel sounds great, really.

Can't wait to see pictures!

Since I have gone the experimental route, most likely it will be a Kitfox V, Sky Raider or Zenith 701, but I would consider a J3 Cub.

Since I have gone the experimental route, most likely it will be a Kitfox V, Sky Raider or Zenith 701, but I would consider a J3 Cub.

Ben Haas seems to have a pretty neat experimental that gets in and out of short strips pretty well. Might be worth chatting with him about it.

Any of the two seater RVs would work, too, with practice. I've always liked the Kitfox, and the Highlander is a pretty spiff STOL airplane.

Any of the two seater RVs would work, too, with practice. I've always liked the Kitfox, and the Highlander is a pretty spiff STOL airplane.

Highlander is a very spiffy STOL. I saw the Zenith 801 at 6Y9 that thing only needs like 300 feet to get off the gournd. personally I'd go for the 802 with the extra seats. Bearcat is supposed to be good as well.

He has agreed to sell me the house and a narrow strip of land off the west edge of the property, which will give me enough room for a 1500' strip.

Cool beans!!! Yay!!! :goofy:

Let us know when it's ready and we'll fly over for dinner. :D

Get a Glasair Sportsman and you'll be set. You'll also have the time of your life!

Sounds like a dream come true.

Ben Haas seems to have a pretty neat experimental that gets in and out of short strips pretty well. Might be worth chatting with him about it.

If you are getting up in age and worried about passing a third class medical I would go straight for the new 750 Zenith. If all is well in the health dept then the 801 is a HOOT !!!!!!

Ben.
www.haaspowerair.com

Dear Dean,

You Suck! I Hate You!

Love, Jim.B)

P.s. Stretch it to 2500 and no trees, and I'll drop in... :tongue:

Actually, waytogo!!!:thumbsup:

Epic win!

I'd get an Aircam. Maybe if the strip is smooth, an Aircam on amphibs.

Here is a Google Earth view of the location.

Attachments

• Runway length.kmz
    635 bytes · Views: 40
Here is a Google Earth view of the location.
Wow, you're less than a mile from Rt. 66 Airfield! I didn't realize you were that close! Have you gone over to visit with any of the folks over there? They're great people. :) We took Joe Areeda there one time when he was visiting.

Why not angle that runway to like a 3-21 and then you get almost 2,000 ft?

(perhaps that's not all your property....)

Very exciting....

I see your neighbor's got 2,500. The prevailing wind must be north south...

Why not angle that runway to like a 3-21 and then you get almost 2,000 ft?

(perhaps that's not all your property....)

Very exciting....

That would be nice, but the owner will only sell me a narrow strip off the west end, he wants to keep the rest for himself.

Wow, you're less than a mile from Rt. 66 Airfield! I didn't realize you were that close! Have you gone over to visit with any of the folks over there? They're great people. :) We took Joe Areeda there one time when he was visiting.

I have been over there, but there is just not much activity there.

I'm curious how big a headache this will be with the FAA, not that I'd ever dissuade you (how cool).

You know the FAA motto - "we're not happy 'till you're not happy!"

I'm curious how big a headache this will be with the FAA, not that I'd ever dissuade you (how cool).

You know the FAA motto - "we're not happy 'till you're not happy!"

AFAIK, none at all. You must fill out form 7480-1 (notice of landing area proposal) no less than 90 days before you start construction. I have found nothing that would indicate that they can tell you no:

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/form/faa7480-1.pdf

Dean,

COOL!

I hope to begin construction on mine soon...but I gotta be here for over a day or two at a time first.

What about all the ones in this part of the country the FAA doesn't have listed? There are a lot of farmers that have mowed areas in pastures they fly their experimentals from.

Back