my next XC

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
rained out yet again. in the past week, rained out 3 times. this is just like the year started...

anyway, my next flight is the 23rd. We are either flying to Lancaster and then York, and back, or, Charlottesville and Culpeper, and back. depending on weather. would either location be just as good for fabulous foliage? I'm thinking the more you get away from NoVA, the more trees (even though we are fairly well treed...) but then again it's a wee bit more south, doesn't it need X days of cool for the leaves to turn?

I'm going to set up a plan for both. fun fun!!

oh sympathize with the cancelled XC. that is fusterating! .. good luck for the 23rd =) .. have fun!

Elizabeth where are you based? Both LNS and Charlottesville VA are great airports. I'm in SE PA and we still don't have great foliage and I imagine LNS is about the same as we are. Good food and great pilot shop at LNS. Yes frustration is part of learning to fly. I remeber many cancelled XCs due Sigments and other weather.

woodstock said:
rained out yet again. in the past week, rained out 3 times. this is just like the year started...

anyway, my next flight is the 23rd. We are either flying to Lancaster and then York, and back, or, Charlottesville and Culpeper, and back. depending on weather. would either location be just as good for fabulous foliage? I'm thinking the more you get away from NoVA, the more trees (even though we are fairly well treed...) but then again it's a wee bit more south, doesn't it need X days of cool for the leaves to turn?

Ya mean low-ceilinged out or rained out or both ?

Dave Krall CFII said:
Ya mean low-ceilinged out or rained out or both ?

Here in the Northeast to Mid-Atlantic, we've been IFR for a week now. There might be some MVFR mixed in there someplace, but we haven't seen the sun for more than an hour since last Friday.

MSmith said:
Here in the Northeast to Mid-Atlantic, we've been IFR for a week now. There might be some MVFR mixed in there someplace, but we haven't seen the sun for more than an hour since last Friday.

You are actually in Seattle then !

AdamZ said:
Elizabeth where are you based? Both LNS and Charlottesville VA are great airports. I'm in SE PA and we still don't have great foliage and I imagine LNS is about the same as we are. Good food and great pilot shop at LNS. Yes frustration is part of learning to fly. I remeber many cancelled XCs due Sigments and other weather.

Weather has sucked here for two weeks now. Our annual trip to VT was cancelled by Tammy, and we ended up eating at Fiorentino's, at LNS, instead. They DO have good food. Not a good consolation prize though. However, no flying for me through areas where there are multiple Pireps for "moderate and severe" turbulence.

I would agree that there doesn't appear to be much color to the foliage here yet. Of course, while shooting practice approaches in actual, as we did last Sunday, you really can't tell. However, my folks up in VT say the foliage there isn't even anything to write home about this year. Dad said the leaves are just curling up and falling off rather than coloring.

We are supposed to get some decent weather starting this weekend, so, Elizabeth, hopefully you will get that XC done.

Jim G

MSmith said:

My kind of weather ! :) I've been itching to get out and fly in this great IFR weather.

MSmith said:

Would you like to help me build an Ark for the New England PoA members?

:rofl:

grattonja said:
Weather has sucked here for two weeks now. Our annual trip to VT was cancelled by Tammy, and we ended up eating at Fiorentino's, at LNS, instead. They DO have good food. Not a good consolation prize though. However, no flying for me through areas where there are multiple Pireps for "moderate and severe" turbulence.

I would agree that there doesn't appear to be much color to the foliage here yet. Of course, while shooting practice approaches in actual, as we did last Sunday, you really can't tell. However, my folks up in VT say the foliage there isn't even anything to write home about this year. Dad said the leaves are just curling up and falling off rather than coloring.

We are supposed to get some decent weather starting this weekend, so, Elizabeth, hopefully you will get that XC done.

Jim G

Where do you fly into (in VT)? My grandparents have a house in the South Woodstock area and he flies his Bonanza back between his home in CT and home in VT.

Jason

HPNPilot1200 said:
Would you like to help me build an Ark for the New England PoA members?

:rofl:

Maybe you need a floatplane.

HPNPilot1200 said:
Sure do...let me re-phrase the question, would you like to buy me one? :yes:

As soon as you find me a job that pays like $1 million a year... :yes:

HPNPilot1200 said:
Where do you fly into (in VT)? My grandparents have a house in the South Woodstock area and he flies his Bonanza back between his home in CT and home in VT.

Jason

My parents have a home right under the flight pattern at Rutland. Nice airport, two runways, lots of room, fairly easy to find. Where does your grandfather fly into/out of? I would guess Lebanon NH. I didn't think there was anything much closer to Woodstock. I haven't been over there yet, but went to Law School in South Royalton, and have family over near White River Jct, so will be at some point.

Jim G

P.S. For the NE pilots, anyone know how to measure a "cubit"? We ARE going to need an arc soon if it doesn't dry out. :D

grattonja said:
P.S. For the NE pilots, anyone know how to measure a "cubit"? We ARE going to need an arc soon if it doesn't dry out. :D

Length of forearm to wrist (or sometimes to finger-tips) - approximately 17 to 21 inches.

(I know because I looked it up last week - in case I needed it.)

my night XC is getting rained out, .. and i live in southern CA! :) .. ah well.. maybe next week.

it is looking like CHO tomorrow, unless LNS continues to clear up.

having a happy hour at my house today, and flying tomorrow - a good weekend after all. (family stuff notwithstanding).

grattonja said:
My parents have a home right under the flight pattern at Rutland. Nice airport, two runways, lots of room, fairly easy to find. Where does your grandfather fly into/out of? I would guess Lebanon NH. I didn't think there was anything much closer to Woodstock. I haven't been over there yet, but went to Law School in South Royalton, and have family over near White River Jct, so will be at some point.

Jim G

My grandfather flies out of KVSF (Springfield) which is 20nm to the SW of KLEB. He found long ago that a hangar was too dang $$ there so he gets very good hangar service at VSF and has been flying in and out of there for 20+ years.

woodstock said:

having a happy hour at my house today, and flying tomorrow - a good weekend after all. (family stuff notwithstanding).

Good Luck! Let us know how it is!

woodstock said:

Having been to both airports multiple times, I believe emphasis above is a bit off. IOW, "CHO is out unless LNS deteriorates" would be more appropriate.;)

The current forecast for LNS area (MDT and RDG) tomorrow morning is ~4000' ceilings. No problem at all, especially for a dual x-country. There isn't anything to write home about an CHO. LNS has the great Airways pilot shop and a restaurant. Besides, I suspect if you wanted to you could have guests for lunch at Lancaster.

woodstock said:

Plans still a "go", Elizabeth? Let us know how the flight went!

hey everyone.

we decided to can it this morning - reallllllllly gusty out there. wow. winds aloft 3000 feet were 310@47 yipes. also moderate turbulence, which sounds tiring for an hour plus flight (each way).

so I just went to the airport, sat down and planned it all out, maybe we will squeak it in sometime in November.

woodstock said:
hey everyone.

we decided to can it this morning - reallllllllly gusty out there. wow. winds aloft 3000 feet were 310@47 yipes.
Probably a good choice!

I needed to fly our R22 up to Mt. Pocono for MX last spring with similar winds aloft. Even though I never got higher than 500-700 AGL, the headwind was strong enough that even with a couple inches more MP than I would normally fly at, I was still only making a ground speed of 40-45 kt. Talk about embarrassing -- the cars going north on the northeast extension of the PA Turnpike were going much faster than I was :(

whoa. yeah, fighting turbulence and taking forever to get to my destination doesn't sound like fun to me. although this was more of a crosswind than a head/tail wind - talk about wind correction angle!!

woodstock said:
hey everyone.

we decided to can it this morning - reallllllllly gusty out there. wow. winds aloft 3000 feet were 310@47 yipes. also moderate turbulence, which sounds tiring for an hour plus flight (each way).

so I just went to the airport, sat down and planned it all out, maybe we will squeak it in sometime in November.

Sometime when you're a little farther along, make it a point to fly with the CFI in winds aloft of 45 or 50 knots...

Dave Krall CFII said:
Sometime when you're a little farther along, make it a point to fly with the CFI in winds aloft of 45 or 50 knots...

I'll second that. And make sure you get some time with an instructor doing crosswind landings at about the maximum demonstrated crosswind limit of the airplane (as for why, I'll let you read my post in the DFW Pilots thread in HT).

Back