My new shiny endorsement

onwards

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
onwards
So I am now PP ASEL, high performance, complex. Got that last bit today in our club's 182rg.

Kinda crazy to think back to December 2010 when I took my first demo flight / lesson, and was thinking "no way I am ever landing one of these things myself".

The reason I thought of that was that my landings sucked royally today. I mean, I did put the plane down on centerline and all, not hard, and there wasn't any real drama, but on both crosswinds I had the wrong wing up. Not sure why, but something got fried in my brain between my flights yesterday with the kids to the CA state fair in over 100 degree weather, and the checkout for the complex endorsement today in the RG, also in 100+ degree weather. My CFI suggested politely that I might want to go practice some crosswinds soon. I didn't have the nerve to tell him that only yesterday I chose on purpose to land on runway 14 instead of a perfectly suitable 32 with the winds 270 at 10, just to get some practice in unusual wind conditions. It was fun in the sense that it's very atypical not to carry power in the flare with the 182 (it drops fast) but the tail wind made it so.

But somewhere my brain just left the building today. Left crosswind - right wing down. Twice. What I need a cold cold drink.

But hey, I can do retracts now. Whoo.

All I can say is "it's frigging hot". I was up late this morning around KDWA and my brain felt fried...

All I can say is "it's frigging hot". I was up late this morning around KDWA and my brain felt fried...

Sweet, I probably passed you on my way back from Willows to EDU this morning ... T'was my first solo XC. And it was smokin' hot already at 11am! Congrats on the new endorsement :D

Thanks.

On a better note, my CFI also took care to note that my steep turns in the RG were so brilliant, I could be teaching them to people. He was a little amazed that I did not lose or gain more than ten feet at any point in the entire maneuver. He made some other notes but my brain was completely melted by then so that all I could hear was the sound of my body shriveling in the heat. Im pretty sure I was looking at him kinda funny cause he stopped talking at some point, handed me my logbook, and asked if I needed a ride to the taco bell down the street to buy an ice cold something or other.

Sweet, I probably passed you on my way back from Willows to EDU this morning ... T'was my first solo XC. And it was smokin' hot already at 11am! Congrats on the new endorsement :D

Hey, congratulations! That's fantastic. So how did it feel?

Hey, congratulations! That's fantastic. So how did it feel?

It was a ton of fun. Nice and straightforward. Flight plan worked out, radios and everything went smooth. So no complaints. Looking forward to the next one!

It was a ton of fun. Nice and straightforward. Flight plan worked out, radios and everything went smooth. So no complaints. Looking forward to the next one!

Solo XC's are a blast, HUGE sense of freedom especially since I did my long X-C first.

Congratulations!

I'm of the belief that ANY training you get makes you a better and safer pilot. Good job!

Back