My long cross-country (long read)

jasc15

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joe
It's been 2 months, but I finally got around to finish writing this. I had my long cross-country on January 23, a Saturday. It was about 24F and I departed somewhere between 8 and 9am.

So today was the day for the long haul. I spent several hours both on Thursday and Friday planning the flight, picking checkpoints, etc. Early on in my training I was told what the long XC would be, so I had messed with the route on skyvector a bunch of times and had a good idea what it would be. The route was FRG-SCH-PVD-FRG. I was much more thorough with this flight than with other XC's I have done; checking out each VOR for non-functional radials, finding out that I would have to call Boston Center rather than Providence Approach if it was after noon, etc. Woke up really early to get the latest weather, and met my instructor at 8:30am to review my planning. He again went over the procedure for departing a class C airport since I hadn't done it before, and I was off to preflight.

FRG-SCH: I had done the first part of this leg a bunch of times before, and most recently on my previous XC to POU. My checkpoint times were as good as they have ever been, and I felt real comfortable with everything. The only thing I felt a bit unsure about was my reliance on VOR's; I was concerned that if left to visual-only checkpoints, I would not be able to keep a course. I continued on and eventually contacted ALB approach to enter the class C and was soon handed to SCH tower. I reported my position relative to ALB, and they had me report 2 mile right base for runway 4. I was looking at what i thought was ALB, but the layout didn't match. I kept flying northwest until i got a call from SCH tower asking my position. They had me ident several times and said they were only getting a primary radar signal, asking me to recycle a few times as well. (still dont know what the deal was there, since I didn't have trouble anywhere else) By this time I was a bit distracted, and realized that what I thought was ALB was actually SCH. I was still cleared for runway 5, but hadn't yet gotten my bearings and was confused by towers instructions. Eventually I figured it out, and turned for a left base for runway 5. I hate making mistakes, and I apologized to tower explaining that I was a student pilot who was unfamiliar with the area. He said no apology was necessary, and I continued on to a surprisingly good landing.

SCH-PVD: Since I was the only activity at the field for the time I was there, tower remembered me when I called up, and he offered progressive taxi instructions. I had taxied on inactive runways a million times before, but this time it didn't click. I guess I was still a bit nervous after my snafu earlier. As he had me turn onto runway 10 I thought he was having me depart from there, so I asked, in a confused and inquiring voice, "cleared for take off?", even though i hadn't done a runup yet. durrr. I forget his response, but I continued and took off runway 4 without incident. Soon after, I called ALB approach, and they vectored me around a bit. I told them my route was southeast, but from the vectoring I had to fly south to get onto my planned route. App noticed I was not going southeast as I said and had me clarify.
Perfectly smooth ride from this point. I was at 5500MSL which I hadn't flown before, and it was a bit hazy below about 2500'. The mountain tops looked like islands in the haze, it was pretty cool. I was able to fly hands off for a while, and tried to move around a bit to stretch my legs. Only once was I advised of any traffic which was near Springfield, MA; surprising for such a beautiful day.
Contacted PVD approach without a hitch and began my descent. I sight the field, and am told to report a 2 mile left base. I guess that point came and went, so tower asked if I have the field in sight and I reply telling him that I do. Here we go again, and tower tells me that I am headed for Quonset, which is a few miles south of Providence (OK, maybe 8 is more than a few). I am pretty much on the extended centerline of 34 for PVD, so App tells me I am cleared to land, and I head in. Taxi around to the FBO which I called earlier, but didn't see a line guy around. Good thing they had their UNICOM painted in enormous numbers on the building; I hadn't written it down. Filled the plane's tanks, emptied mine, and headed back out after about 20 minutes.

PVD-FRG: This was my first time departing from a class C, but it was no big deal (I had only done touch-and-go's at ISP before). My instructor gave me the CRAFT acronym that morning, and I knew exactly what to expect. Called clearance delivery, ground, then tower and was up in no time. They vectored me around a bit and put me right on my intended course. Very smooth over the LI sound, and very quiet on the radio. As I got close to the LI class C, I realize I wasn't handed off by PVD App. Guess they dropped me without telling me. I called a bunch of times without response, so I figured it was ok to switch over to LI App, and was cleared through their class C without any vectoring or altitude change. Same old routine heading back into FRG where I had the worst of the 3 landings that day. Go figure.

Since then, I've flown 5 times trying to polish my maneuvers for the checkride, and I plan on taking the written this weekend. Studying like mad, but the end is near!

Good write up!

After every flight you should be able to grade yourself and figure out what you did right, what you did wrong, and how you plan to improve the next time.

Sounds like you have that habit ingrained already!

Hi Joe,

Sounds like you had a good trip all around. The ATC folks are there to help us and it's a pretty good idea to say "student pilot" when identifying yourself. They become more helpful :).

Good luck on the written
Jean

LOL!
On my long solo XC, I flew almost the same route: KTEB-KOWD-KALB-KTEB. :D

Visibility was probably similar to the day of your flight; hazy down low (picked up some carb ice on the way home from KALB, in fact), and I recall being very unsure about my position relative to KALB when Tower asked me to report the runway in sight. They had to ask me twice; it took me a while. :redface:
I can see, for sure, how you could miss it as you passed by, even with all the distinctive river features beyond it to the north. An error, yes, but not a bizarre error.

It seems you were right to doubt your apparent reliance on VORs... once you learn to use them, it's real easy to start skimping with the pilotage. And as a beginner,when approaching an unfamiliar tower-controlled field, it's easy to come down with a case of "head-down-itis".
I'll bet you learned about trusting your gut when you start thinking those thoughts; a valuable lesson.

And after all, training flights are all about learning, not being perfect... you learned a lot, and got home safe. Win!!! :thumbsup:

Took my written yesterday! 90%. Finished in about 45 minutes, and went through every question again, so about 1:15 all together. Corrected a few wrong answers, and changed a few that were correct the first time. A few of the ones I got wrong, I was convinced were correct, but I'm not sure if there is anything I can or should do about that. There is a section at the end of the test for comments/complaints, but you don't see your incorrect questions until after that point. Anyway, I'm relieved to have it behind me, and I feel a little more confident with my checkride coming up next month.

Back