My lessons learned

skynewbie

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
checkmysix
After becoming a new private pilot I have the following lessons learned. Note: there is a factor of variation or what I like to call the "It depends factor" and YMMV:

1. Find and buy the cheapest trainer you can buy. Older Cessna 172 and Piper Warriors are great planes to train, build time and save money over rentals.

2. Take your time choosing an instructor wisely! The FBO is not as important provided it is close to home and work. Interview current and past students on their feedback of the CFI. Ask local DPE what the pass rate is for the CFI students. Interview the CFI about training and see how well you get along with them.

3. Train intense 3x a week is good to retain skills, muscle memory and knowledge.

4. Get the medical quickly done to avoid spending thousands in lessons if something unknown healthwise comes up.

5. Pass the knowledge test early on to focus on flying.

I agree except for this one. I took it early and based on weather and my schedule and whatnot it almost expired on me. Take the written when the knowledge makes sense and after at least solo XC's are done.

After becoming a new private pilot I have the following lessons learned. Note: there is a factor of variation or what I like to call the "It depends factor" and YMMV:

1. Find and buy the cheapest trainer you can buy. Older Cessna 172 and Piper Warriors are great planes to train, build time and save money over rentals.

2. Take your time choosing an instructor wisely! The FBO is not as important provided it is close to home and work. Interview current and past students on their feedback of the CFI. Ask local DPE what the pass rate is for the CFI students. Interview the CFI about training and see how well you get along with them.

3. Train intense 3x a week is good to retain skills, muscle memory and knowledge.

4. Get the medical quickly done to avoid spending thousands in lessons if something unknown healthwise comes up.

The big "it depends" to me is #1. It depends on if you are getting into aviation with a known mission for aviation. Lets say you're a business person and need to travel frequently (multiple times per month). In that case it's best to just go ahead and buy the plane that suits your mission right off the bat and hire a pro pilot/CFI to fly with you and instruct you along the way.

Last edited:
#1 is just plain wrong. How do you really know what you want before you even get your ticket? On the cost side, it is MUCH cheaper to rent.

#1 is just plain wrong. How do you really know what you want before you even get your ticket? On the cost side, it is MUCH cheaper to rent.

It is not wrong for everyone. It worked for me. I bought a Cherokee about 10 hours into my training. I don't regret it. I don't think it saved me money, but I definitely end up flying more than I would have if I had just rented. It is nice knowing I was the last one to use it, it is maintained well, and it is available when I want it.

Another reason to NOT buy a plane for yourself to train in for PPL is that this type of training is hard on a plane. You don't know what you're doing at first, and most CFI's don't care either. All those touch and goes, power going up down, running full rich a lot of the time, etc, and possibly some hard landings, or not properly lined up, etc. Better to do all that hard flying on a rented school plane in my opinion.

I agree except for this one. I took it early and based on weather and my schedule and whatnot it almost expired on me. Take the written when the knowledge makes sense and after at least solo XC's are done.
Except....must have passed written exam in order to solo.

Except....must have passed written exam in order to solo.

:confused: No PP Knowledge Exam is required to solo, you get a small 'pre solo' written from your flight instructor that I don't think is anything official, just a CYA thing. You have to have your medical/Student Pilot Cert before solo.

I think a legitimate strategy is to buy a clapped out, run out 150 or similar. Something at the bottom of its depreciation. Can't depreciate any more or won't ever be worth less than you paid for it. Use it to train in and sell it for what you paid for it. A C150 sips gas and insurance is cheap. This will certainly be cheaper than renting anything else. You will also have learned a bit about ownership and will be a better informed buyer when you shop for your post training airplane.

:confused: No PP Knowledge Exam is required to solo, you get a small 'pre solo' written from your flight instructor that I don't think is anything official, just a CYA thing. You have to have your medical/Student Pilot Cert before solo.

It's not a standardized exam, but it's official in the sense that it's required by regulation. That makes it more than CYA. See 14 CFR 61.87(b).

It's not a standardized exam, but it's official in the sense that it's required by regulation. That makes it more than CYA. See 14 CFR 61.87(b).

Right, but it's not "The PP Written". It's a quick 20 question on the basics; V speeds, can you take pax... That should take 5 minutes IIRC from the one I took, pretty much the same as most FBOs give you when you check out in a plane first time.

I think owning your own plane to train in is best. Keeps you working hard on finishing. I bought a older 172 and flew at least 5 times a week in training. Finally told my instructor I really enjoyed flying with him but was really sick of t & g,s. it's time to finish. Week later I had my ppl. Flew that plane 350 hours in 2 years. Sold it or 10% more than I paid which covered most of the expense I had in it except for gas. This year I will fly over 400 hours. Not cheaper to rent for me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back