My Intro.

Silverhawk

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Silverhawk
Hello aviators, students, enthusiasts, etc!

I'm a 67 year old male living in Lancaster County.

I have just had a discovery flight. It went well until a sudden vertigo experience. I will be trying again soon.

The Instructor notes that it is her observation that most people get scared off when they get sick while in the captain's chair, and, up in the air, but, she is willing to let me try again.

She mentioned "non-drowsy dramamine". I also plan to skip my pre-flight meal next time!

I'll be filling out my profile when I get my prerequisite number of posts in.

See you up there :) At least once more anyway!

Welcome.!!

Don't let a one time experience scare ya off. I have had vertigo a few times and I used to fly for a living.

Might try an early morning flight, the air can be pretty ruff after lunch. And yes, try eating very light next time.

And glad to see some ''life experienced'' folks come on board... :lol:

Did you actually yak or just get queasy? Personally I’d skip the drugs and try a more natural approach. People say ginger cookies or ginger ale helps. I’d also be very aware of the temperature. If it’s too hot (and also bumpy) you want to make sure you get as much ventilation on you as possible or see if you can fly higher where it’s cooler.

Welcome.!!

Don't let a one time experience scare ya off. I have had vertigo a few times and I used to fly for a living.

Might try an early morning flight, the air can be pretty ruff after lunch. And yes, try eating very light next time.

And glad to see some ''life experienced'' folks come on board... :lol:
THANK YOU!

Did you actually yak or just get queasy? Personally I’d skip the drugs and try a more natural approach. People say ginger cookies or ginger ale helps. I’d also be very aware of the temperature. If it’s too hot (and also bumpy) you want to make sure you get as much ventilation on you as possible or see if you can fly higher where it’s cooler.
I completely lost my breakfast and then some. But it all went in the bag, not the cockpit! I also feel that while it would have been quite hard, I could have kept enough control to avoid endangering anybody, or so I like to believe. Thanks for the tips, I will try them. But for now, I will follow Instructor advice and try the dramamine non drowsy. If any issues, I will tell her "Please take the airplane".

I used to get queasy when I first started. Fear of vomiting kept me from eating before I flew. Instructor had he join him for lunch one day i between flights. double cheese with salami pizza. Heading back to field I knew I was going to toss it. Stopped at a gas station to buy something just so I’d have a bag.
Ended up not having one bit of dizziness or nausea. Now I have a bite before any flight

I used to get queasy when I first started. Fear of vomiting kept me from eating before I flew. Instructor had he join him for lunch one day i between flights. double cheese with salami pizza. Heading back to field I knew I was going to toss it. Stopped at a gas station to buy something just so I’d have a bag.
Ended up not having one bit of dizziness or nausea. Now I have a bite before any flight
Yup, I'm hoping it's something my body will get used to. Maybe I should ride a few roller coasters first, LOL..

Crystalized ginger worked very well for me. Also, while you don’t want to eat a large meal, you don’t want a completely empty stomach either. Low blood sugar will increase queasiness. I would have a light snack and eat some ginger before I went up if the flight was going to be bumpy.

I agree it is better to eat a light snack/dinner before (maybe an hour or so) flying rather than not eating at all. Just use judgment about what you eat. :)

Eat bananas ... at least they taste the same coming up as going down! :dunno:

Seriously, you will adapt. Do keep hydrated and the ginger mentioned is a great idea.

Eat bananas ... at least they taste the same coming up as going down! :dunno:

Seriously, you will adapt. Do keep hydrated and the ginger mentioned is a great idea.
The bannana and ginger sounds like an idea to try. I will make it a light snack before my light aero-plane!

I've now had my second flight. This time in the Bristell Light Sport Aircraft. I ate much lighter and earlier beforehand, and, blended some lightly blanched ginger root and drank that down just before going to the airport. I'm happy to report that this folk remedy worked in my case! I had a truly great flight, and, I'm hooked. See you up there!

Crystalized ginger worked very well for me. Also, while you don’t want to eat a large meal, you don’t want a completely empty stomach either. Low blood sugar will increase queasiness. I would have a light snack and eat some ginger before I went up if the flight was going to be bumpy.

I think you just recommended ginger snaps as the ideal aviation food.

:)

Back