My holiday project

steingar

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
steingar
I've been doing a bit of folding during the holidays, for an entomological project. Thought I would share some of the results. I've got models of a giant flower beetle, a Neptune giant beetle, a hercules giant beetle, a stag beetle, a long-necked seed beetle, and a scarab. I'm not certain what the striped guy or the bug with the long legs are, the instructions were in Portugese and Japanese respectively.

I hope you like them.

Attachments

• IMG_0758s.jpg
    IMG_0758s.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0772s.jpg
    IMG_0772s.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0773s.jpg
    IMG_0773s.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0776s.jpg
    IMG_0776s.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0779s.jpg
    IMG_0779s.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0783s.jpg
    IMG_0783s.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0785s.jpg
    IMG_0785s.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 16
Those are cool! Nice job!! My daughters are into origami... where'd you buy/find the instructions?

Thank you very much for the complement, I'm glad you liked them.

The Hercules beetle, scarab, and Stag beetle were from Robert Lang's Origami Insects and their kin, which I believe was published by Dover. Robert is the premier Origami artist in the US if not the West, he retired from a career as an honest-to-Gosh rocket scientist to devote himself to Origami. He's a really nice guy, too.

The unidentified striped bug was from a book by Paulo Albertino, but is not readily available in the US. The flower beetle, Neptune giant beetle, and the guy with the long bent front legs are from Insects I, by Kawahata/Nishikawa, as is the dragonfly on my Avatar.

Robert's book can be found in many bookstores or on Amazon. The Japanese book is available from Origami USA, text in Japanese but the diagrams are pretty universal. Most of models in both books are very, very difficult.

If you are looking for Origami texts at any particular level I may be able to suggest some titles.

Good job! The stripped bug resembles what we call a "stink bug" here in TN. The reason for the name is due to the odor they emit when squashed.:vomit:

Those look great, and I sure respect the ammount of patiente I imagine it takes to complete one.

I also could see how they could be used to play practical jokes on bug-scared people ... if you were to hide them in drawers, cabinets and such...

Back