my grandma

HPNFlyGirl

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iBrookieMonster
I just wanted to let you know that if I seem out of it for a while, its because my grandma passed away this weekend. I was in IND when she died and I just found out Monday. I feel really bad because I promised her I would come and visit really soon (like late oct. early nov.) and I feel like I lied to her. I was her only grand daughter. And she loved hearing about my flying adventures. Her pride and joy's were my solo and skydive video. When someone would come over shed be like Brook soloed and she also skydives. I just feel really really bad because I didn't get my private license yet. She was going to be the 1st person I told. And I was going to find someone to fly down to Vero Beach with so I could go see her and tell her I flew down there with a co pilot. I feel like I let her down, and I let myself down. I had a dream a few weeks ago that she passed away and no one let me know. Well little did I know that dream would come true. Not the kind that you want to happen, especially this soon. So we are all going to NY in October like the 15th to scatter her in the long island sound. So if I seem out of it that's why.

Last edited:
HPNFlyGirl said:
I just wanted to let you know that if I seem out of it for a while, its because my grandma passed away this weekend. I was in IND when she died and I just found out Monday. I feel really bad because I promised her I would come and visit really soon (like late oct. early nov.) and I feel like I lied to her. I was her only grand daughter. And she loved hearing about my flying adventures. Her pride and joy's were my solo and skydive video. When someone would come over shed be like Brook soloed and she also skydives. I just feel really really bad because I didn't get my private license yet. She was going to be the 1st person I told. And I was going to find someone to fly down to Vero Beach with so I could go see her and tell her I flew down there with a co pilot. I feel like I let her down, and I let myself down. I had a dream a few weeks ago that she passed away and no one let me know. Well little did I know that dream would come true. Not the kind that you want to happen, especially this soon. So we are all going to NY in October like the 15th to scatter her in the long island sound. So if I seem out of it that's why.

I'm really sorry, b. My condolences are with you.

My condolenses. My prayers are with you and your family...take care.

HPNFlyGirl said:

dear brook,

please accept our sincere condolences to you and your family.

but don't be too hard on yourself. i was with my 90 year old grandma when she passed in february. she was not really there and it was more of a relief than anything.

the important thing is how you were with her when she WAS alive and aware. sounds like you shared your love and passion for aviation with her and that would have been priceless to her.

my grandma was always saying how if she was younger she would take up flying. i had the privilege of taking her for several rides in my stinson a few years ago. she was thrilled. that's a gift not many people get to pass along.

we are truly blessed to live in this time and place where we have the freedom and wherewithal to fly. to have shared that, even vicariously, with your grandmother is still a rare gift.

i believe your grandma knows how much you love her. i think you may feel at peace with that.

blue skies,
vic & N522A

Brook,

I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. It sounds like she loved you very much and was very proud of you. Grief is a tricky thing. Just when you think you are in control it jumps right back onto you. Take care.

Carol

Brook;
I'm sorry for your loss. You had a great relationship with her and she obviously loved you very much. Any time you want to talk about things, look me up. We all need a place to go.
-John

Im sorry for your loss too Brook. She was blessed to have a great grandaughter like you while she was alive.

So sorry to hear of your loss. Try to remember that you and your adventures brought her pleasure and smiles. I doubt that it mattered at all to her that you hadn't gotten your license yet, it sounds like she was simply very impressed with your effort and spirit.

I'm sorry about your loss.

If you want to scatter her in the Sound, how about doing it from a plane? You could get an instructor to fly left seat and do the scattering yourself. (I'd never fly right seat even with a license for anything this emotional).

AOPA has an article on it.

Take a small picture of grandma with you on your checkride - don't even think about it, just put the picture in your flight bag now.

So sorry for your loss, Brook. Grandparents are such a blessing - I had a very close relationship with my grandparents and cherish their memories still. Grieving is normal and healthy, and then celebrate their life in your memories.

Aw crud, now I have to wipe my glasses and keyboard off, and I lost my grandparents over 20 years ago - here's a hug, Brook.

Last edited:
I am very sorry about your loss. It sounds like you were close to your grandmother. So remember that a part of her spirit will always be with you.

HPNFlyGirl said:

Brook,

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

Thank you for reminding us of the value of our families, and how difficult it can be when you are far away. It helps me to make the extra effort to see my folks as often as I can, even though I'm far away.

best,

bill

On behalf of the entire management team at Pilots of America, please allow me to express our most sincere condolences for your loss.

Best wishes,
Chuck

Brook,

Really sorry to hear it. I had a similar experience with one of my grandfathers. In fact, I and my wife were driving up to New York to visit him. I brought along my cello to play for him because he would be having his birthday while we were there. He died while we were on the road, and I ended up playing at his funeral.

But in both my case as well as yours, out grandparents knew that we loved them. I also believe that your grandma will be there the day you get your certificate.

Her long productive life and time with you is a blessing to be very thankful for...

BTW:
Two others and I scattered the ashes of a son and father during two sucessive, high speed low passes over their family orchard. Relatives and people could be seen jumping up and down and waving hands along the fence row. It was an unusual experience.

HPNFlyGirl said:
I just feel really really bad because I didn't get my private license yet. She was going to be the 1st person I told.

Brook,

I'm sorry about your loss. This reminds me very much of when my grandma died - It happened right after I got my private, but before I got to tell her about it or take her for a ride.

Brook, so sorry to hear about your grandmother. It sounded like she was very proud of you.

Brook,

Sounds like you and your grandmother had a great relationship. Take it from someone who did not have a good relationship with his grandmother.... take comfort in the great memories you have of her. If you loved each other you were both blessed. It sounds like you were.

Brook,

I'm so sorry. I was also very close to one of my grandmothers. She would have LOVED that I learned to fly, but I didn't learn to fly until later in life, and she had died long before. She was lucky to have a granddaughter like you and to get to share your adventures. If she was anything like my grandmother (and it sounds like she was), she'd tell you that she was just happy to share whatever you did.

Take care,
Judy

<<<<<<<<brook>>>>>>>>>
hugs. My thoughts are with you and your family.

terry

Sorry to hear of your loss. :(

My Grandma is 90, going on 91, degenerative heart condition, partially blind, and still lives on her own back in the UK in the same house Granddad built 65 years ago. I visit every year, sometimes twice (if I can afford it). Lost my Father a few years back, so our relationship only got stronger, and it was very strong to begin with.

While we all say we are 'ready', when the time comes, none of us really are. My Gran and I have discussed all the final arrangements, who gets what, what goes where, which hymns to play in which church and everything else - all very matter-of-fact and rational. I still take a deep breath everytime the phone rings when I'm not expecting a call. One of these days...

Don't dwell on a loss, celebrate the lifetime of memories you have - those never die. :)

Steve

Back