My Glider Club Impressions...

I feel that he is either jealous or racist based on his comment about me knowing what a stall is. And yes, he asked that question out of geninue concern. The guy then reemed me when I landed proposing that I should not have held my speed at carat and "don't do that again.." There was no wind for me to put my speed higher than carat. I'll just avoid him.
Could be he is just a jerk. They are everywhere in life. Including on this board. A key to happiness is learning to avoid them.
Could also be racist, which I consider to be a more extreme subset of "jerk." I wouldn't presume to advise on how to handle that, as I have not walked in your shoes. My hunch is avoidance is probably still the best path to doing your thing your way.

Could be he is just a jerk. They are everywhere in life. Including on this board. A key to happiness is learning to avoid them.
Could also be racist, which I consider to be a more extreme subset of "jerk." I wouldn't presume to advise on how to handle that, as I have not walked in your shoes. My hunch is avoidance is probably still the best path to doing your thing your way.
Thank you for a very empathetic and understanding response. I appreciate it and will definitely take your advice to avoid in the real world as well as on these boards.

Thank you for a very empathetic and understanding response. I appreciate it and will definitely take your advice to avoid in the real world as well as on these boards.
The Ignore function is your best friend. I found when I blocked about 5 people, my enjoyment went way up. 95% of folks are good people. Hope you enjoy it and stick around. I have learned an immense amount from the expert pilots on here, and hopefully contributed a small bit where able.

Tone and facial expressions are important. Just based on your written account it's almost impossible to know if the guy is racist (i.e. major jerk), just your standard jerk, or a not very funny guy who tries to be funny. This pertains mostly to his "stall" question. When it comes to the "winning the lottery" comment, I honestly wouldn't read too much into it. Again, tone and facial expression matters so I can't really tell, but honestly, I'm getting those same comments from my own family lol. Got those comments when I told them I'm getting my private license, got those comments when I told them I bought my first plane (mind you, it was cheaper than the car I owned at the time haha) and sure as hell got them when I told them a bought a four seater with retracts that goes nearly 200 mph. They think I'm loaded (I am not YET) and have no idea how because they can't wrap their heads around that someone without a real job (I'm an entrepreneur) actually makes more money than someone who works as an employee for the same company for 30+ years (as my dad did). Hence, they think I won the lottery, or my wife is super rich (she's not), etc.

In your case, it may be hard for them to wrap their heads around how someone can drop $200k+ on a toy, regardless of your color or background. I know many people I talk to can't wrap their head around some of the things I do because I'm "too young". I don't know your age but that could also be why they wonder. Most of my older friends from high school still pay off student loans or live pay check to pay check. I don't but that isn't because I won the lottery; however since they couldn't do that, they automatically think I just "got lucky". It's human nature to think that way.

A few years back, I got a new client who I knew had decent money but I thought of him like decent money in the $1-2M net worth range. He knew I was a pilot so a few months into our working relationship, he asked me if I can help him source a private plane for him for his business and leisure travel. I presented him with with some Lances, Cessna 421s in case he prefers twins. He looked at them and asked if I can find him something faster where he can't see the exposed blades. I sourced a nice Citation and he bought it cash. I had no idea he was that loaded and I immediately started wondering how he made that much money, surely not with the business he hired me with as a consultant, but turns out, that's exactly how.

You seem to want to turn this thread around on me being the culprit. Perfect example of gaslighting. I expressed a concern I have from one particular individual -- not the entire club. Other than this individual, I am quite happy with the club.
It honestly does sound like he may be a problem, and that you might need to set a hard boundary with him.

I haven't displayed any aggressiveness here in this thread. I don't know a fraction of everything there is to know. I go there to gain experience. However, I don't need someone asking me if I know what a stall is. And I don't go around broadcasting that I'm buying a brand new glider. People ask me and I tell them.

You seem to want to turn this thread around on me being the culprit. Perfect example of gaslighting. I expressed a concern I have from one particular individual -- not the entire club. Other than this individual, I am quite happy with the club.
I think part of the disconnect here is the thread title and some of the wording of your posts implies you have an issue with the club, not just one individual. You lumped in the 3 club members making comments about the price of your future glider purchase with the potential jerk who asked you about the stall. Pretty much everyone here has agreed that none of those comments about the cost of the glider are in any way relevant to race or anything more than just common banter about an expensive purchase. I am in a flying club and have talked to some members about my future purchase and I get the same types of comments -- have never given any of them a second thought, and would probably make similar comments to anyone else I knew buying an expensive plane/whatever, jokingly.

If it's just this one particular individual then I don't see what the problem really is or how it is relevant to glider clubs/flying. One thing I've learned in life is that you will find *******s anywhere in the world -- billionaires, children's hospital volunteers, teachers, construction workers, flying club members, rec league basketball members, and on and on. 1 person really says nothing about the club or the flying community as a whole, so not really sure what your beef is. The guy may be an *******, so what, don't interact with him.

replace the ***********s with @sshole as apparently that word isn't allowed here...

Back