My first solo!?

imjamesscott

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
imjamesscott
My instructor said i should be doing my first solo within the next 2 weeks and im at around 11 hours... But my biggest thing is i feel like i need to know more about the components of the airplane i just know how to takeoff maneuvers and land... For example i do not really understand any components on the copilots side of the plane other then flaps of course. Is this normal or should i know alot more before a solo?

Sounds like a good opportunity for a ground lessson where you ask this question of your instructor and go over aircraft systems. And not just those "on the copilot's side".

Have you had a chance to check out these publications from the FAA?

Airplane Flying Handbook (http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aircraft/airplane_handbook/)

Pilot's Handbok of Aeronautical Knowledge (http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/)

Are you training off of a written syllabus that includes appropriate study from a book before each lesson? Or are you guys just shooting from the hip, doing a short brief, and the instructor teaches from what he remembers without reference to a written checklist?

Have you begun studying for the written knowledge test?

1. What airplane are you flying?
2. What's on the other side of the cabin that you don't understand?

On the right side? That varies, but it's usually climate control, maybe a transponder, GPS, or some other navigational add-ons, plus circuit breakers. Only the CB's are truly necessary for solo. And the transponder if you're within 30 nm of a Class B airport.

You do need to understand mixture, carb heat, etc.

Ask your instructor.

If you're concerned, definitely let your instructor know so he/she can address it.

But typically your first solo is just a few trips around the pattern. If you know how to take-off, land, and perform very basic emergency procedures, you should be pretty well covered for your first solo. Once you start straying from the pattern those other things might (I'm not exactly sure what it is you're referring to) come into play.

Sorry im flying a 172sp the right side is the radios and gps.. This is just one thing tho i just know the basics of flying not the little things. Like the other day i was landing at an airport and had to make the radio call to get clearance to the airport which had an approach tower i believe and i did the normal call but had to say something about zulu and was so confused also while doing this he was messing with the radio. Just things like that. Is this normal? Also im in a 141 school so everythings kind of fast paced

And also my instructors the kinda guys thats keeps pushing you which is a good thing and bad thing because sometimes i just want a more relaxed instructor that i can take my time with. I also know my instructor personally which makes switching a little weird.

Ok, I'm concerned now.

When you fly solo, you work the radios. If this confuses you, you aren't ready yet. And it sounds like you need some practice with towered procedures. Presuming you train at a nontowered airport, you still need towered procedures for an emergency, such as another aircraft's accident shutting down your airport.

The radio stack in a 172SP is dead center, not right side.

I wasn't proficient at tower procedures prior to my first solo. Few students I know are.

And also my instructors the kinda guys thats keeps pushing you which is a good thing and bad thing because sometimes i just want a more relaxed instructor that i can take my time with. I also know my instructor personally which makes switching a little weird.

It's very common for a student to feel like they are being pushed beyond their abilities when, in reality, they aren't. Sometimes the opposite is true and a student feels like their instructor is being overly protective and holding them back. In either case, it's generally a good idea to express the concerns with the instructor. Any good instructor will welcome the dialoge, even if they don't agree, and will try to address the concerns.

If you feel like another instructor would be beneficial to you, you have every right to change. It might be weird, but it's business and shouldn't be taken personally. Everyone learns differently, and even a good instructor and good student can have difficulties if the teaching style and learning style aren't compatible.

Ultimately, it's your money and your decision to make.

Talk to your instructor and explain your concerns. That's what he's there for, and what you're paying him for.

I wasn't proficient at tower procedures prior to my first solo. Few students I know are.

I'd hope students that are flying (soloing) at a towered airport are. I know I was. :dunno:

I thought it was clear that he was at an untowered but perhaps I read it wrong. I didn't get any experience talking to approach until after my first solo. Before allowing me to go solo to the practice area, I had to demonstrate that I knew what I was doing on the radio and could also make my way back without getting lost.

to the OP: I really think you'll be fine, but ultimately if you're not comfortable you're the one in charge. That's what you're paying for, and you can learn at your own pace.

I didn't talk to Approach until after solo, too, and I trained at a towered airport.

Approach is not part of towered operations unless you train in Class B or C. Generally, it's just ground and tower. Maybe just tower.

Good opportunity for a ground lesson indeed

HOWEVER you should have read the POH for the plane you are about to act as PIC in, most of your questions would be answered in there.

I didn't talk to Approach until after solo, too, and I trained at a towered airport.

Approach is not part of towered operations unless you train in Class B or C. Generally, it's just ground and tower. Maybe just tower.

Right, I didn't mean to confuse the issue... Just relaying my experience. My home (untowered) airport is just below Class C airspace, but I didn't make any radio calls to approach or tower until after my solo. Perhaps that is outside the norm, I don't know. All I'm saying is he should be OK for his 3 laps around the pattern if he's making calls on the CTAF and his instructor is on the handheld if needed.

And also my instructors the kinda guys thats keeps pushing you which is a good thing and bad thing because sometimes i just want a more relaxed instructor that i can take my time with.
He can't be pushing you too hard if he hasn't explained what half the stuff on the panel is for (?!)... :D Or is he "pushing" you through the syllabus rapidly, without making sure you understand everything?
Definitely review your POH and also ask him about this stuff! He's paid by the hour; there's no need to rush. And if you are going to solo, you really need to know what every gizmo is for and (at least basically) how to use it.

Did you end up soloing yet?

If you mean me, yeah, I solo'd in January and am hoping to get my ticket in the next 60 days, weather and schedule permitting... there have been a lot of stops and starts and schedule conflicts (my instructor is a very busy guy, too).

Back