My first solo!

SerArris

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SerArris
I was finally able to solo today! Over the last few weeks I was getting pretty frustrated with my landings but this week something seemed to click. Yesterday I had some pretty good landings and the CFI told me if I can get 3 good landings this morning then he was hopping out. Well, my first wasn't too great but the other 2 were really good. He told me to drop him off at his truck so he could grab his radio and talk to me from the ground. He told me to do 3 full stop taxi backs. I was so nervous. After my first landing (it was just ok), I noticed he was standing by the taxiway taking pictures and he had the biggest smile on his face. He came up to the plane and shook my hand and told me to knock out 2 more. The 2nd one was much better and I could see him mouthing the word "beautiful" as I taxied past. My third landing was good but not great.

I pulled up to the pump to fill up and he took some pictures of me standing by the plane. He seemed more excited than I did! We put the plane back in it's hanger and talked for a bit. He then said, "Well, there is this tradition of getting your shirt tail cut off on your first solo, but it's up to you." I started laughing and turned my back to him. He then told me he had not only taken pictures but also videotaped my landings. He is going to burn them to a dvd and give them to me. I still have a stupid smile on my face!

Although I was prepared for it, the plane really came off the ground much quicker than usual. My hands were sweating so bad but I swear some of it was the temperature being 85 at 8:30 in the morning! :lol:

Anyway, I just wanted to share my excitement with everyone.

Congratulations. You're on your way to your goal!

Congratulations! The sweaty palms line brought back memories of my own solo.

Really good of your CFI to commemorate the occasion appropriately!

:yeahthat:

Absolutely!! A great touch from your instructor.

Congratulations from a fellow aviator. You have a whole new world of learning ahead of you among some of the finest people you will ever meet.

Congratulations to you. Sounds like you have a good instructor.

Nice work there, OP! I still remember my first solo (all of one month ago). Super weird feeling but super awesome at the same time.

Seriously! The instructors at my school don't seem to want to do the same. I told my CFI I wanted it old school.

Now is when the fun starts. You'll learn a bunch once you get out on your own. You'll quickly realize how much that extra set of eyes was doing for you.

Have fun and be safe!

Congtratulations, many will remind you the first solo you will not forget - especially after you have it on video ;). Very nice for your CFI to share the excitment.

Im not a pilot but i'd still give you the advice to continue the momentum and get your certificate - in a safe way or course.

(i also have an in-cokpit video of my first solo and i looked a "little" stressed out ;) always fun for me to watch)

Great work! You can now lay claim to something that very few people on the earth can claim- you took off and landed an airplane by yourself. I'm sure you'll relive that moment many times in your head, at least I know I do!

Enjoy the test of your training!

Last edited:
Congratulations! I can still remember mine pretty well. 1974.

Once again thanks for all the kind comments. I really appreciate having a community like this to share our experiences and frustrations with! I normally sleep during the day since I work 3rd shift but I've barely been able to sleep at all today. Gonna be a long night tonight!

Congrats! And where are the pics??!! :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Congratulations! Keep at it, and finish!

As far as pics go, my CFI has to burn them to disc and give them to me. Once that happens I will try and post some.

Well done, and now the fun really begins!

Good for you! It is a big deal for your CFI too.. To see you be able to fly on your own.

Back