My first solo XC

gcd89

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Greg D.
From KPIE to KCGC, Clearwater to Crystal River, Florida

Everything went great until I got close. I found al my checkpoints just fine and I was advised (by my CFI) to follow US 19 because it leads right to the airport. So I follow US19 pretty far north.

North Florida is either a forest, pasture or huge forest with little pastures and flats punched out. Needess to say, it was nearly impossible to distinguish the KCGC (no tower, one runway) from any of the number of fields. I couldn't find the airport and had to turn back....I mad it to the area and I even looked it up in GoogleMaps later and evidently I flew right over it and didn't even realize it :dunno: To me it just looked like another cow field. And I made it back home without a hitch..

Is this bad that I couldn't find the airport? My CFI even said not everyone finds it on the first try, and north florida is tricky to navigate, and this is the first time I've been there in probably a year or so on a dual XC...so did I screw up really bad, or is this normal for a first time solo XC?

This story does sound a little strange, but I remember well that I had difficulty finding airports until very close. But then it was always an amazing surprise how long the runways are when compared to any other features on the ground. Now I look for something which is much, much bigger than expected. AIRNAV says that KCGC's runway is paved.

Also, on my solo cross-country, I departed KSKX Taos, and on the Center frequency there was a guy who could not find the airport. He gave his position on an approximately right VOR radial, but no matter how I twisted around, I could not see him. To this day I have no idea what happened. Confused To/From headings perhaps? So these things happen.

Well, it's really good that you figured you'd probably passed it and turned around in time to get back to your original field with plenty of fuel. Just continuing north and getting totally stuck would have been bad.... And, yes, first time solo X/C people get lost. It happens. You fixed it by turning around and going back. That's positive.

That being said: Were you tracking your checkpoints and the time it took between them? You posted that you found them OK. If you had been able to estimate your time of arrival to KCGC then you would have known when to really start looking for it and could have circled a couple of likely places.
Also, if there is a VOR near there you can put the correct radial on the OBS for it to center as you are at your desired location. Ask your CFI to show you how to use 2 VORs to "tirangulate" your position. That would've helped too.

It's not great that you didn't find it but I don't think it's terrible either. It has given you some interesting things to think about I imagine. Google Earth is a handy way to look ahead to unfamiliar areas but not something that I would rely on much since things do look different from a small plane somehow.

Are you going to fly up to that area again?

PS: if you really get lost then you can use ATC to help you. Like Pete said that guy tried to do. are you familiar w/ lost procedures? Like climb, circle, call, confess, comply? Ask you CFI about that too.

Also, I just looked at the chart from airnav.com airport info - notice that it's south of a Crystal River City and that a hwy comes towards the town from the East - so if you flew all the way up to the town located the large hwy. and then turned and went south you would know that it would be just off to your left as you follow hwy 19 south and that the rwy. is perpendicular to your North South route. I'm wondering if you really flew far enough North?

Once you start looking at charts for relationships between landmarks it gets easier.

Tristan sent me a great article that she wrote some years back. If I can find it I'll send it to you.

Last edited:
I don't know about other students and their CFI's, but one thing mind did that I came to appreciate is that we used some of our dual time requirements to actually do my short and long XC routes. Turned out a good exercise since I did all of the air and radio work and he only had to step in when I couldn't spot the field right off.

But his pointing out landmarks and how they related to the airport and the chart depiction was very helpful and a good lesson.

Now I do a similar task by "flying" with Google Earth. Starting about 10-15 miles out, I note landmarks and how the relate to the chart and airport and work on forming a picture of what I should see out the windscreen.

Hiya Greg. Good decision making - returning and not fixating. Preflight planning - not so much. I just did a bing map and there are several good ground references (rt 19 S turn, golf courses and ball fields). Also on the 224 radial off OCF. Plus timing from your last checkpoint. Try the same route again, soon.

Everything went great until I got close. I found al my checkpoints just fine and I was advised (by my CFI) to follow US 19 because it leads right to the airport. So I follow US19 pretty far north.

When you follow US 19, do it from a mile or so off to the right so the airport doesn't disappear under your nose while you are still several miles away.

Done worse.

This story does sound a little strange, but I remember well that I had difficulty finding airports until very close. But then it was always an amazing surprise how long the runways are when compared to any other features on the ground. Now I look for something which is much, much bigger than expected. AIRNAV says that KCGC's runway is paved.

It does have paved runways, but the area is also sprinkled with farms and small communities with roads....I guess the problem lies with spotting small runways from the air. The runways at my home airport are big enough to accommodate C-130's and MD-80's.

That being said: Were you tracking your checkpoints and the time it took between them? You posted that you found them OK. If you had been able to estimate your time of arrival to KCGC then you would have known when to really start looking for it and could have circled a couple of likely places.
Also, if there is a VOR near there you can put the correct radial on the OBS for it to center as you are at your desired location. Ask your CFI to show you how to use 2 VORs to "tirangulate" your position. That would've helped too.

It's not great that you didn't find it but I don't think it's terrible either. It has given you some interesting things to think about I imagine. Google Earth is a handy way to look ahead to unfamiliar areas but not something that I would rely on much since things do look different from a small plane somehow.

Are you going to fly up to that area again?

I was somewhat tracking my checkpoints. Mostly lakes and isolated communities... I wasn;'t timing them or anything and at a certain point, the only landmark is a huge road...which takes you directly to the airport. The thing is the farther north you go, the less and less populated it is, meaning you basically have a huge road cutting through a punch of trees, sprinkled with farmland and fields...

My plane, rather the plane I used, has no VOR...

And I know google is just something to look at and shouldn't be a primary navigational aid.

I hope to fly there again...

Also, I just looked at the chart from airnav.com airport info - notice that it's south of a Crystal River City and that a hwy comes towards the town from the East - so if you flew all the way up to the town located the large hwy. and then turned and went south you would know that it would be just off to your left as you follow hwy 19 south and that the rwy. is perpendicular to your North South route. I'm wondering if you really flew far enough North?

Once you start looking at charts for relationships between landmarks it gets easier.

Yeah I noticed that and I probably looked right AT THE AIRPORT, I just didn't realize it was an airport and not another cow pasture :/. My instructor told me, if you get to a huge owerplant, you went too far north, and I did.

And yes, a big problem I have is realizing the relationship between stuff on the ground and what I see on the chart...I figured that was something that comes with experience. And thanks for the article :)
Hiya Greg. Good decision making - returning and not fixating. Preflight planning - not so much. I just did a bing map and there are several good ground references (rt 19 S turn, golf courses and ball fields). Also on the 224 radial off OCF. Plus timing from your last checkpoint. Try the same route again, soon.

I even saw the golf courses and ball fields, and probably even flew right over, I just couldn't distinguish it from the other clearings I saw around there. I also didn't realize how close it was to the road...and VOR doesn't exist on 25244 :/
When you follow US 19, do it from a mile or so off to the right so the airport doesn't disappear under your nose while you are still several miles away.

Thanks for the tip :D

Don't sweat it. I have trouble finding my home airport at night, and I've lived and flown in the area for 15+ years.

And I know google is just something to look at and shouldn't be a primary navigational aid.

Pfft! Use whatever navigations aids get you where you want to go. I know there's a bunch of folks around here who think if you can't navigate by A-N then you're not a real pilot, but its really about flying safely and having fun. If google helps, then so be it.

"My plane, rather the plane I used, has no VOR..."

~~~~~~~~ well, you have to use a plane that has some radio navigation on board for your checkride... does the school have a 152 that has a working VOR?
Maybe you could use it next time?
Sounds like you've figured out how to find it though next time.

"My plane, rather the plane I used, has no VOR..."

~~~~~~~~ well, you have to use a plane that has some radio navigation on board for your checkride... does the school have a 152 that has a working VOR?
Maybe you could use it next time?
Sounds like you've figured out how to find it though next time.

Hmm, this I did not know...but no I think they have just one operation 152...the other is due for engine overhaul, but I guess they can't afford it (???)...they have a couple of 172's though....

Talk with your CFI about VOR navigation. It's a part of your toolbox you should be familiar with now. Lots of applications for even the VFR pilot and student.

Kinda surprised your aircraft didn't have a functional one on the panel since it's such a key part of any flight schools inventory

The 150M in Bode Aero has a broken VOR too. Electronics work, but something is mechanically broken in the rotating ring, so it slips, and therefore shows bogus course. I take it it's a hint for students not to be cheap and rent one of their 172s or the glass Diamond.

I couldnt find the airport on my first solo x/c either. I have an "excuse". It had just snowed a little, and the runways had a light dusting on them blending them in with the field. I had flown exactly over it, and remember looking at it thinking That looked interesting... then ATC called me (I had flight following) and said airport was 1 mile behind me more or less, and I knew right away, and canceled flight following.

Talk with your CFI about VOR navigation. It's a part of your toolbox you should be familiar with now. Lots of applications for even the VFR pilot and student.

Kinda surprised your aircraft didn't have a functional one on the panel since it's such a key part of any flight schools inventory

When I did my solo x/c's, my instructor wanted me to try to use a different method of navigation each time. One x/c was strictly land marks/visual references, another was MOSTLY VOR's, etc.

Of course, I knew how to do all of that on my first x/c, so I had it available if I needed it.

The 150M in Bode Aero has a broken VOR too. Electronics work, but something is mechanically broken in the rotating ring, so it slips, and therefore shows bogus course. I take it it's a hint for students not to be cheap and rent one of their 172s or the glass Diamond.

I understand the VOR, I just don't have one

I'm just gonna' put this out there; you weren't timing your checkpoints? Timing is so critical in so much of aviation. From estimating ground speed to time left in your tanks to timing an approach to ETA.

Not keeping track of time is akin to planning to fail. Think I'm being too hard? It sure beats the alternative of making the headlines due to a forced off field landing.

Good job of response to the error and returning to your primary. Every flight is a lesson, sometimes not the intended lesson.

Last edited:
All I can say is that if you thought this airport was hard to find amongst the farm fields, just wait until you try to find a grass strip! Even with a GPS they can sometimes be difficult to find!

Good move turning back, but you might have backtracked to your last known position and tried again, presuming you knew you had sufficient fuel.

Something to add to the "C"s for lost procedures: Conserve. Once you've climbed up pull the power back if you are still lost and circling, particularly if you are having trouble determining the course back to your home base. This will conserve fuel which is the biggest risk factor when you are lost.

Don't be afraid of ATC/flight following. They'll tell you if you don't appear to be heading to your intended destination anymore, and they'll help you if you get lost. Especially if you tell them you are a solo student.

Kudos on the good ADM.

Sounds like another learning experience to me. Next time you head for an unfamiliar airport via pilotage, make sure you jot down the location of the airport relative to the city if available. The flight directories general will say something like 2MI NE of City. That helps alot when you're navigating by road map.

Doc

A little extra altitude can help. I learned that I can spot airports much easier and from much further away when I'm at 5000' vs 3000'.

Also, the airport is a thin strip of pavement. Looks like some tiedowns, but no hangars... So, pick King's Bay as a waypoint. If you get to it, you just passed KCGC on the other side of the freeway.

If you cross a couple of big mowed stripes through the trees, then you'd have been a few miles north.

It's all part of learning though - figure out what sorts of landmarks are easier for you to pick out.

Also, not just finding waypoints, but as as pointed out, log the times you reach each waypoint. From this, if you become uncertain, you can slow down and circle over one (well trimmed please) while you look to see if you were flying as fast as you thought. Maybe you have 25 knots headwind you didn't plan on and are still 10 miles short of your destination.

blah blah. I'm just rambling now. Fret not. It's not a horrible sign or any reason to be discouraged.

Hmm, this I did not know...but no I think they have just one operation 152...the other is due for engine overhaul, but I guess they can't afford it (???)...they have a couple of 172's though....

I really hate our industry. :mad2:

Radio navigation is a required part of the PTS. "Don't use that, it's broken" makes me wonder what else is broken, too. IMO, flight schools need to set an example for their students, and part of that is keeping their planes in good working order, ESPECIALLY equipment that's required on a checkride and can help a lost student find their way.

OP - There's some great info in this thread. I will say that spotting airports becomes MUCH easier with more experience, especially if you get out of the nest and continue flying cross country after you've got your certificate. Look at the charts, find the nearby landmarks, and look where the airport is supposed to be - It'll be there. Fly to the right of it so that you have the easiest time seeing it (otherwise it may disappear under the cowl before you spot it), and make sure you have some landmarks for "I went too far" as well. Finally, I'll reiterate the time thing. You should be learning dead reckoning as well as pilotage and radio navigation - And they all can contribute to your overall picture of situational awareness. Your CFI should be having you fill out a navigation log with times at each checkpoint. That will help you determine your average groundspeed and tell you when you should arrive at your destination. It sounds like your CFI sent you on a solo XC without the training for dead reckoning and without the equipment for radio navigation. Fail, IMO.

I really hate our industry. :mad2:

Radio navigation is a required part of the PTS. "Don't use that, it's broken" makes me wonder what else is broken, too. IMO, flight schools need to set an example for their students, and part of that is keeping their planes in good working order, ESPECIALLY equipment that's required on a checkride and can help a lost student find their way.
....SNIP....
We all know the equipment is expensive and let me say, renters DO NOT treat the equipment like they owned it. They treat it like a rental then complain when stuff doesn't work.
I went through two KLN89Bs in 6 months. Hard to keep the plane IFR ready when the equipment goes TU AND NO ONE TELLS YOU because they're afraid they're on the hook for it.
With regard to the rest of the training fleet, if a school has 4 planes and one is not equipped as you need, you rent the one you need. If it means you pay extra, so be it. Aviation isn't cheap. Get used to paying so someone else can make a profit that day. In this case, maybe the school uses the less equipped C150 to get people through the basics at a lower cost or maybe the owner of the C150 (if leased back) can't afford or can't find a suitable replacement VOR.
To the original poster: get some practice with the other aircraft and their equipment. Next time, use the one with a working VOR. If you can, use a GPS. No guarantees you'll ever find what you are looking for but use all your resources including ATC. Remember, whatever plane you take your checkride in, you need to know how to use all the equipment and why not, they are all tools to help you out.

I can't say that any of my XC's as a student pilot were particularly challenging - I flew mostly to large towered airports (my long solo XC was to a Class C airport.) But, even today, sometimes I have a tough time identifying small non towered fields in the middle of nowhere, even while I have the other eye glued the the GPS map.

Obviously if you don't have a working VOR you can't, but you really should have a couple pre-plotted VOR fixes ready at your destination in case something goes South with your pilotage and dead reckoning, if you don't use the VOR as your primary navigation aid.

We all know the equipment is expensive and let me say, renters DO NOT treat the equipment like they owned it. They treat it like a rental then complain when stuff doesn't work.

IMO, if they can't afford to keep a plane in good working order, it's time to take it off the rental line. I know renters aren't careful with equipment like owners are - But anyone running a flight school should also know that, and charge an hourly rate that will allow for the higher level of wear and tear.

Back