My first no assistance landing!!!

drotto

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
drotto
After three full lessons in the pattern, it was pattern work time again. Another windy day, but luckily right down the runway with a little shifting, but never more than 10 degrees off center to either side. Winds steady 10 plus knots with gusts to 20 knots. CFI decided it was safe, and good experience, saying this is more realistic than dead calm days. If you can learn in this, and master this, the other stuff gets much easier. Also went from a full flap to a two notch flap and 5 knot faster approach to compensate for the gusts.

First three circles, I struggled in the pattern compensating for the strong wind, especially on base, but my control on final was good on all three. Forth time up CFI says I am going to basically sit on my hands. Again the base leg was not great, but my final was good and he let me take it all the way in. We did that two more times. Not putting it all together in one run yet, meaning perfect pattern and then landing, but big step today.

After the lesson he quickly said one or two more pattern lessons, then it was time to start short field, engine out, and practicing touch and goes and go arounds. The word solo also came up for the first time.

Don't rush it,keep going sounds like you doing really well.

Each milestone, no matter how small, is pretty exciting! Nice job!

That solo is a fantastic feeling, enjoy this time.

Back