My ex wife on the Virginia Bar Exam...

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
I don't know if I told you that, since our divorce, my ex wife has gone on to law school. We parted amiably, and I had some news from her about her progress to date.

She's currently taking the VA bar and apparently is doing very well but there was one hiccup. She has to re-take the Legal Ethics portion of the bar, because she failed it the first time around.

She was too moral.
evileye.gif
rofl.gif

She says "Lawyers shouldn't be able to get away with all of the things they apparently can. Go figure."

You sure you don't mean 'ethical' as opposed to 'moral'? They're close but carry somewhat different practical meanings.

wsuffa said:
You sure you don't mean 'ethical' as opposed to 'moral'? They're close but carry somewhat different practical meanings.
Her words, not mine, but I suspect you're right. :) In any case, I thought it was very funny. :)

HPNFlyGirl said:
So why did you guys get divorced?

You opened that door counselor. I'll allow it.

Chuck? :)

Anthony said:

I don't see how I opened that door - I only mentioned it so people wouldn't ask, "Why are you having conversations about THAT with your ex?"

However, in a nutshell, we made each other unhappy.

If I could give one piece of advice to the single people out there, it would be, "If you decide to get married hoping, not knowing, that its the right thing to do, it probably isn't."

BEdesigns said:
Way, way to personal....
Mmaybe for person that has not been around here for very long. Brooke is like a Little sister to most here...she is entitled!

wesleyj said:
Sounds like she must have flunked, how to be a real low life jerk, while she was in scumbag school.

Yea, but she was married to Chuck....

Anthony said:

I guess he did, but I'm not talkin' about my first wife, the &%$#*( **$%#$!

We don't talk, and I don't miss that #$@$$!

Second one worked out pretty well :yes:

cherokeeflyboy said:
Mmaybe for person that has not been around here for very long. Brooke is like a Little sister to most here...she is entitled!
No, I kinda thought the same thing that BEdesigns did...but I'll get over it. ;)

wesleyj said:
Sounds like she must have flunked, how to be a real low life jerk, while she was in scumbag school.

Nice.

SCCutler said:

I would like to nominate Spike "The Man" Cutler for the best response to a post of the year award.

wesleyj said:
:mad:

I'm no lawyer, but I married one and I know a bunch of them. Just like in any profession, the number of responsible, hardworking people far, far outnumbers the dirtbags.

Ken Ibold said:

I'm no lawyer, but I married one and I know a bunch of them. Just like in any profession, the number of responsible, hardworking people far, far outnumbers the dirtbags.

How nieve Ken, You've obviously never been to Arizona.

Greebo said:
I don't see how I opened that door - I only mentioned it so people wouldn't ask, "Why are you having conversations about THAT with your ex?"

Just yankin your chain Chuck, no explanations needed. My first one was a whack job, but the outcome of that divorce was to get my PPL which I could have never done still married to her. :yes:

Last edited:
I never said she was a whack job. We just were not right for each other, and we prolonged each other's pain for far too long by being unwilling to face up to that fact.

Ken Ibold said:

Not meaning to cast any aspersions toward your other half, but my experiance has been:

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, looks like duck, and hangs around with other known ducks, chances are it is a duck.

wesleyj said:
If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, looks like duck, and hangs around with other known ducks, chances are it is a duck.

:D

-Skip

Attachments

• duck.jpg
    duck.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 43
wesleyj said:
Not meaning to cast any aspersions toward your other half, but my experiance has been:

You need to hang out with a better class of ducks then.

Ken Ibold said:
You need to hang out with a better class of ducks then.

well said. I don't think I personally know any "dirtbag" attorneys. and given that DC may have the highest concentration of lawyers outside of NYC (and actually, I think it's safe to say our concentration is higher) that's saying a lot.

cherokeeflyboy said:

I have always wanted older brothers and sisters. :yes:

Ken Ibold said:

What he said guys. Some folks have been WAY OVER THE TOP nice to my fiancee's father as he pursues a marine related matter, as it relates to advice, referrals, and so on. Can't thank them enough.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Funny how everybody likes to hate lawyers .... till they need one.
Then they want one that chews railroad spikes and spits rust.

Just for clarity's sake, I'm pretty much on the record as being totally against all the stupid lawyer bashing that goes on - I don't think it's funny, or appropriate, or correct. And I am pretty certain that most of the folks doing it could NOT take the place of the attys they are so willing to glibly slander. The nasty diatribes have done very little to convince me otherwise.

woodstock said:
well said. I don't think I personally know any "dirtbag" attorneys. and given that DC may have the highest concentration of lawyers outside of NYC (and actually, I think it's safe to say our concentration is higher) that's saying a lot.

You can't find any dirtbag lawyers in DC? :eek: There's a building downtown with 538 of 'em... :rofl:

(OK, so they're not all attorneys, and there's even a few who aren't dirtbags. But, with all the lobbyists around, there's gotta be some... :dunno:)

etsisk said:
Just for clarity's sake, I'm pretty much on the record as being totally against all the stupid lawyer bashing that goes on - I don't think it's funny, or appropriate, or correct. And I am pretty certain that most of the folks doing it could NOT take the place of the attys they are so willing to glibly slander. The nasty diatribes have done very little to convince me otherwise.

All joking aside, I have the utmost respect for lawyers. I actually kind of enjoy reading "legalese" and I don't have too much trouble understanding the FAR's. When I started my business, I read the entire parts of the Wisconsin state statutes dealing with corporations, partnerships, etc. (LLC's were not officially recognized by the state at that time, and may not be still :dunno:). I did the same a couple of years later when a non-profit I was involved in had somewhat of a coup going on (we ended up throwing out the entire board of directors over it).

When someone posted the link to the site dealing with Jim Campbell's antics (aero-news) at Sun 'n' Fun, I actually read the entire 100-plus page court transcript. That's when I realized the massive scope of case law knowledge a lawyer needs to know. :hairraise: They were using some precedent set in 1976 in a case of NBC vs. somebody, and seemed to pull it out at the drop of a hat, so they obviously knew the case well. How many others do they know like that? I dunno, but it's obviously an incredible amount of work and dedication to their craft to be able to keep up with such things. :yes:

So, lawyers... My hat's off to you. :cheerswine:

flyingcheesehead said:
All joking aside, I have the utmost respect for lawyers. I actually kind of enjoy reading "legalese" and I don't have too much trouble understanding the FAR's. When I started my business, I read the entire parts of the Wisconsin state statutes dealing with corporations, partnerships, etc. (LLC's were not officially recognized by the state at that time, and may not be still :dunno:). I did the same a couple of years later when a non-profit I was involved in had somewhat of a coup going on (we ended up throwing out the entire board of directors over it).

When someone posted the link to the site dealing with Jim Campbell's antics (aero-news) at Sun 'n' Fun, I actually read the entire 100-plus page court transcript. That's when I realized the massive scope of case law knowledge a lawyer needs to know. :hairraise: They were using some precedent set in 1976 in a case of NBC vs. somebody, and seemed to pull it out at the drop of a hat, so they obviously knew the case well. How many others do they know like that? I dunno, but it's obviously an incredible amount of work and dedication to their craft to be able to keep up with such things. :yes:
While there are a bunch of cases a lawyer should be familiar with, most legal briefs contain a bunch of case cites which the attorneys research specifically for the purposes of the case they are arguing. Researching these opinions (both for the purposes of writing the briefs and for checking an opponent's briefs) often seem to fall upon junior lawyers and interns.:rolleyes:

NTSB cases are fun to read. I might be wrong about this, but I believe that many NTSB ALJ's (administrative law judges) actually dictate their opinions, making them a more chatty read.

By the way thanks for the post!

Back