My Dog is more Dangerous than Flying

brcase

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
I have been flying for over 28 years and 5000+ hours, including those dangerous gliders (1000+hrs):).

The worst injury I have sustained in that time related to flying is the Cessna Diamonds. Technically I didn't get the diamonds just a moon shaped scar where the safety glasses I was wearing cut me when I walked into the flap.

2 years ago we got a German Short Hair Boxer Mix, Puppy. Since then I have stepped in a hole he dug by my front step and broke my ankle. Last week while taking him for a walk I slipped on some ice and broke my wrist. Good news is my Cholesterol and Blood pressure are lower since getting the dog, since I exercise more.

:)

Brian

Last edited:
Danger is my pups middle name :D

image.jpg

My dog pulled my mom into a ditch and broke her arm. It's always the dumb stuff that gets you lol

Our dog certainly hasn't lowered my blood pressure....she's a stubborn 7 mo. old brat. We adopted her from a rescue right before Thanksgiving, she had been tossed out of a car as a very young puppy and broke her leg pretty badly. (Now her and me sport matching pins in our left legs, but my accident wasn't being thrown from a car). She's really a sweetheart but she's also a monster (my latest homebrew is "Kiah the Nut brown ale").

She's a blue heeler so it's not gonna get any easier....:eek:

Last edited:
I've been curious about something and this is a good thread to ask about it.

I've got 3 dogs. Two are old and can't hear so a non issue for them. The little whipper snapper has normal dog hearing (far as I know).

How do you keep noise cancelling headphones on your dogs? Seriously, does the noise of a single piston plane bother dogs? I see that lots of people fly with their pups. Our little guy gets scared if he hears gunshots while out on a walk. (we have a nearby creek/pond with duck hunters)

Last edited:
Buddy has about 250 hours with me in the 182. I had mutt muffs for him. He kept them on just fine but they're worthless. I put them on myself and found that they don't muffle much. Nothing actually.

About the same time that I quit working (and, thus, no longer flying w/Buddy), a new company was starting to make dog hearing protection, 4Paws Aviation. Their product appeared to be far superior to mutt muffs. I can't say for sure though because I never bought a set. I'm likely going back to work this year and will be buying a set if I do.

http://www.4pawsaviation.com

Here's a more detailed write-up that I did on Mutt Muffs a few years back.

Last edited:
Our dog certainly hasn't lowered my blood pressure....she's a stubborn 7 mo. old brat. We adopted her from a rescue right before Thanksgiving, she had been tossed out of a car as a very young puppy and broke her leg pretty badly. (Now her and me sport matching pins in our left legs, but my accident wasn't being thrown from a car). She's really a sweetheart but she's also a monster (my latest homebrew is "Kiah the Nut brown ale").

Good luck! I have an Australian cattle dog / jack Russell mix. I think they are the purest form of energy. If anything is worth doing, it's worth doing at maximum velocity.

I've been curious about something and this is a good thread to ask about it.
Seriously, does the noise of a single piston plane bother dogs?

For any of us,including our dogs, repetitive percussive noise can permanently damage our hearing. After posting a question on one of the major retriever forums -- since my dog needs to "handle" and take whistle commands at long distances, protecting her hearing is very important.
View attachment 43787

Feedback from that forum was that Mutt Muffs did not cut it and these http://www.4pawsaviation.com/products/ear-muffs.php were much better. Once I get my plane, this is on my must-purchase short list.

My daughter has a Blue Healer, she's 6 and the energy level hasn't decreased much, if any since she was a puppy! :D

Our two having their annual Christmas fuzzy toy destruction. Only takes a couple of minutes so they only get them once a year or so. The big boy wants the squeaker and will do surgery to get it out of any toy. The little girl just wants to tear the thing up.

73989fb37b57c990d1aeecdbfb6d004d.jpg

The big boy wants the squeaker and will do surgery to get it out of any toy.

Shirley, my boxer mix, does the exact same. She'll work on a Kong squeaky ball for hours, of that's what it takes, to get the squeaker out.

Shirley, my boxer mix, does the exact same. She'll work on a Kong squeaky ball for hours, of that's what it takes, to get the squeaker out.

He loves them. I just have to watch and make sure they're not super small and swallowable and once he's had his squeak, squeak moment of glory, distract him and stuff the remnants in my pocket before he notices where it went.

I can even hand it back to him and let him squeak it some more and he'll settle into that if he's distracted enough not to keep chewing and trying to eat it on round one. Eventually he either destroys it or I get nervous that he's back into "eat it" mode and distract him again and dispose of it.

Back