My checkride is this Saturday!!

Well, I got back a while ago from the Airport. Great news.

My CFI got the Plane back from the A&P, and all is in working order. We did some Oral Test prep, and it went pretty smooth. Afterwards, my CFI said he was bound and determined to get the Checkride done on Saturday! If he is, I'll follow suit!

I will be awaiting my CFI's call tomorrow to head up to the Airport and get some flying in!!
Snag, that's fantastic news!!! I hope it happens for you on Saturday. I'm sure that whenever it does, you'll do just fine.

Break a leg! (not literally, of course) :thumbsup:

Woo Hoo! got some flying in (3 hours worth), did more Oral prep. I gotta be up at the Airport by 9am. I'll be there by 7:30am so I have time to get my Flight Plan done, and do a quick walk around of the Plane before hand.

Wish me luck!

There are few emergencies that can't be made worse by rushing into action blindly and unthinkingly. This is good advice during real life as well as during the checkride!
"The first thing to do in an emergency is wind your watch."

I don't know who said this first but the message is don't panic, and think before you act.

-Skip

I'm proud to say that there is a new Private Pilot in the Skys over South Texas, and I'm him!!!

The Oral went fairly smooth, I messed up a few things but he was a really relaxed, forgiving, Examiner. The Oral seamed more like a glorified Ground School lesson. He did most of the talking (Not that I minded that lol).

The Flight went very well, other than I forgot to take the 10° Flaps out after the first Take Off. He just pointed, and I reached down put the flaps in. I expected he would fail me, or at least scold me, but he never said a word about it. The other maneuvers went well for the most part. I had to do a Go-Around after I was unable to get the 40° of flaps in. That impressed him that I had "The presence of mind to Go-Around, and not try to save the landing." I was thinking about why I could not get the last 10° of Flaps in, when it hit me. I was going to fast, and with Manual Flaps, I could not put in the last 10° of Flaps. Simple fix, came back in and nailed it.

Now I have my License to learn, and get some "Real World Experience" as the Examiner said.

Let me be the first on this board to congratulate you! Congratulations!:cheers::rollercoaster:

Now go out and fly! :)

Yea! Yea! Yea!
Sounds like you had a good checkride all around too. Way to go!

Oh, I forgot to say I got my PPL at the Minimum age required. Just 9 days before my 18th Birthday!!

Thanks everyone!

I can't wait to make my first flight as a Private Pilot! I should be able to go up tomorrow.

Hey guys, do I log the checkride as "Flight Training Received" or not?

Hey guys, do I log the checkride as "Flight Training Received" or not?
Believe it or not, the PPL ride was your first opportunity to act as and log PIC with another human in the plane. I.E. it wasn't solo and it was PIC not "training received". And congratulations BTW. I don't think anyone here had any doubts WRT the outcome of your checkride. I predict a long and enjoyable future in aviation for you.

And for your next step I strongly encourage you to get some tailwheel training (assuming that's not what you've been flying). Not only will you have lots of fun without a specific destination, you'll learn how to use your feet effectively, and that will serve you well in all future flying. If the opportunity also exists for some simple acro in the same airplane, go for that too!

Last edited:
Thanks!

I've been flying a 1964 Cessna 172E, and my CFI said he has access to a J3 Cub for my Tailwheel training. So I'll be taking him up on that offer in the near future. He also has a Mooney that I'll be doing my Complex Training in.

CONGRATULATIONS PILOT DUSTIN!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Welcome to the future!!!!!!

Fly Safe:goofy::goofy:

Last edited:
A little late here, but congratulations! I've been reading the forum for a while now. You started your training around the time I was finishing my private. I really enjoyed reading your lesson summaries.

Thanks!

I've been flying a 1964 Cessna 172E, and my CFI said he has access to a J3 Cub for my Tailwheel training. So I'll be taking him up on that offer in the near future. He also has a Mooney that I'll be doing my Complex Training in.

Good to see you've got options available for future training. I enjoyed getting my tailwheel endorsement and I like the expanded flying opportunities it allows me. I'm working on the complex/hp now and it's been fun so far.

Congrats dude! I have my first solo on saturday.. your story is putting me at ease. Have fun with your new license!

Thanks, and don't sweat the Solo.
Also, don't beat yourself up over a rough landing while solo. Its going to happen till you gain the feel for the much lighter Aircraft. I only made one good landing out of the three I did on my first solo.

If your anything like me, you'll love doing solo work. It's your first real taste of being the PIC you get in your training. It's an awesome feeling!

Back