My CFI thinks I am almost ready for my first solo!

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
If you have not already know by now, I now take my flight training at Queen City Airport for the sport pilot license.

I had 4 lessons with my new Chief CFI/DPE so far. Today, we worked on several takeoffs and landings in the pattern. At first, I needed some help with the landings, but after that my takeoffs and landings were much more consistent and better with my CFI helping me when I needed it. My CFI has noticed that I had made a lot of progress with my takeoffs and landings, plus I know my weaknesses and what I did wrong and how to resolve those weaknesses. Because of my improvements in my takeoffs and landings, he thinks that I am almost ready for my first solo!!!

All I got to do is take the presolo knowledge test. Anyone know what is the presolo knowledge test is like and how hard is the test? Is the test FAA standardized or does my CFI customize the test?

Don't know if we will be working on more takeoffs and landings next week. My CFI might work with me on cross country planning or flying, I don't know yet so the first solo might be a few or several lessons away I think.

I am now more motivated than ever to learn to fly and I am glad I am definitely making some progress in my flight training.

Last edited:
If I remember right, my presolo test consisted of airspace/radio operations that were at my home airport, and some basic airplane questions, like v speeds and stuff. If you pay attention at all, it shouldnt be hard.

Do YOU feel you are ready? Any doubts or concerns? Make sure you are confident in your own ability as well!

I was by the end of my lesson today feeling between a moderate and high level of confidence. I see as with each takeoff and landings I am starting to gain more confidence.

I think with just several more takeoffs and landings without the CFI's help next to me and I will be good.

Last edited:
my Pre-Solo test was like 60 questions, but It was all open book stuff. Basically get the unknown answers however you need to. Basically asked questions about the medical certificates, training requirements, student limitations, visibility and airspace, drugs and alcohol, light signals, a lot of specific airplane stats like weights, fuel, speeds and stuff like wake turbulence and traffic avoidance. I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think you can fail it. I believe whatever you get wrong your instructor has to go over with you. Good luck! :)

+1 for what Andrew said. A pre-solo test consists of questions about the aircraft you are flying and the area in which you fly to include airspace knowledge.

There's nothing to worry about regarding your pre-solo test. Your instructor makes it up (he probably already has an exam he uses) specific to the things you should already know about the aircraft you're flying and the general area. There's no real grade (unless you do horribly!), and every question you get wrong is discussed between you and your CFI so that he feels comfortable that you are comfortable with the answer afterwards. Then you get to take three laps around the pattern with 180 pounds of weight on the ground instead of the right seat.

Pre-Congrats!

So what you guys are saying is that the presolo knowledge test given by my CFI is not FAA standardized and the CFI can customize the test anyway he wants to?

So what you guys are saying is that the presolo knowledge test given by my CFI is not FAA standardized and the CFI can customize the test anyway he wants to?

For me it was a school based check- to ensure you were familiar with "their way".. dont sweat it, go over the policies and procedures you have been taught up to this point and Know the basics :Airspace limitations for VFR, runway markings, Communications etc. I aced mine! This weekend I took a "Stage Check" flight with a different instructor (made some minor cosmetic errors but nothing dangerious)- now I have been cleared for solo...Woo Hoo!!!!!!

CRUSH IT!!!!!

Regulation says several things that must be in it -- see 14 CFR 61.87(b). There is a bunch of room to customize in there, and the form is not standardized. My own club did something that looked a whole lot like a checkout for a private pilot, plus airspace rules, local procedures, general flight rules, and 61.89.

That is correct. Here is the relevant regulation:
(b) Aeronautical knowledge. A student pilot must demonstrate satisfactory aeronautical knowledge on a knowledge test that meets the requirements of this paragraph:
(1) The test must address the student pilot's knowledge of--
(i) Applicable sections of parts 61 and 91 of this chapter;
(ii) Airspace rules and procedures for the airport where the solo flight will be performed; and
(iii) Flight characteristics and operational limitations for the make and model of aircraft to be flown.
(2) The student's authorized instructor must--
(i) Administer the test; and
(ii) At the conclusion of the test, review all incorrect answers with the student before authorizing that student to conduct a solo flight.

Here is the guide AOPA puts out to instructors for developing these tests:
http://flighttraining.aopa.org/pdfs/sa04.pdf

Thank you all for answering my question and wishing me luck!!! I don't know when I will solo but it may not be this weekend. I heard my CFI and I are going to work on cross country or cross country planning for the next several lessons. But it may be soon though.

Mine was a test the school had, it was a lot different than all the ones I found online. It wasn't open book though, they had True/False questions, written ones about our specific airspace since it's a bit complicated, and then just some short answer. They required I get an 85% I got an 84% the first, retook it within 15 minutes the second time to get 100% it's no big deal.

Mine was a test the school had, it was a lot different than all the ones I found online. It wasn't open book though, they had True/False questions, written ones about our specific airspace since it's a bit complicated, and then just some short answer. They required I get an 85% I got an 84% the first, retook it within 15 minutes the second time to get 100% it's no big deal.

and we have two TPAs for non-turbo aircraft. The one that everyone uses (1100' MSL) & the one in the A/FD 1180' MSL:dunno:.

Seems like you'd round up to 1200 from 1180, not down to 1100.

KFRG

Last edited:
Pre solo test is no issue just sit there at home or office and check your answers online and then give it in and he grades it with you it's no biggie

It appears they are doing a good job of preparing you for flight. Congrats.

Just make a mental note that you are going to be mixing with GA aircraft whose pilots expect you to do the expected when it is expected of you.
The fly in that ointment is that most of us have not had your recent training, so some will do the unexpected by you.

Did I make that clear enough?

Hello all. I have another question about the first solo flight. Is it mandatory that I have to do 3 takeoffs and landings by myself or can I do as many solo takeoffs and landings as I want to? Is even one solo takeoff and landing okay and still counts as my first solo?

The supervised solo is not even required by regulation. You must have 10 hours solo flight, 5 hours of which are cross-country, and three full-stop takeoffs and landings with an operating control tower. That is conventionally separated into supervised solo, unsupervised solo, solo practice, and solo cross-country.

I don't think there is a whole lot of variation on that, but the regs do not require a supervised solo at all, let alone say what it consists of.

Many of us do consider three supervised takeoffs and landings to be a rite of passage, though.

See 14 CFR 61.109(a)(5).

Hello all. I have another question about the first solo flight. Is it mandatory that I have to do 3 takeoffs and landings by myself or can I do as many solo takeoffs and landings as I want to? Is even one solo takeoff and landing okay and still counts as my first solo?

Great question,
There is no requirement on mine which was a month or so a go I only did one and the CFI jumped backed in and said lets call it a day. The owner of the school didnt like that she said you have to do 3 meanwhile next 2 days I went out complekty solo and she really flipped and now added supervised solo 3 of them..

Your CFI is free to make whatever requirements s/he feels appropriate. Sometimes it is 3 takeoff and landings, sometimes fewer, sometimes more. Sometimes it is full-stop, taxi-back and sometimes it is touch and go.

This is an excellent question to ask your instructor.

Back