My CFI Struggles

iRyan

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
I attended a cfi program in the mid-west that specializes in getting the cfi based on reviews. Prior to signing up, I informed the school that if I had jury duty and medical tests that had to be done on certain dates. The school said it was no problem and that I can always come back and finish. They guarantee they will work with you everyday if you work full time with them.

I was told it would take 6 days, but when I got there, I was told that 10 days is normal. As I was rusty, it took about 2 weeks to get ready for my ride. As there was no examiner available for a week and my jury duty/dr appt was during the extra week, I needed to go home. I was told they would honor my course fee and just charge me for the plane.

A few new students came, so I had to wait for them to finish before I could restart. I got an appointment with the FSDO in Nov. and all looked good. Today, I was told they were not honoring the course fee and were charging me $390 a day plus the plane to finish up. Now, all I needed was to brush up on flying, not ground. They said it was in the agreement I signed, however, they said at the time they didn't enforce it.

So long story short, I will be taking my ride with the PHL FSDO. Of course I will not be doing the other instructor courses there. My classmate who is still there says he is the only student now. They are loosing out on at least 10 hours of a/c rental plus the II and MEI course.

How is the PHL FSDO?

Thanks for reading. Flame away if you want!

Was this by any chance in southern Minnesota?

yes. have you heard about them?
I know who they are -- but don't know a lot about them. To be honest I've never really heard much for complaints. I do know some people that got their CFI there and it worked for them.

The CFI is just a lot of work. For those that haven't mastered learning on their own and don't truly know the whole system it's quite a surprise. It's a *HARD* certificate and is something you have to really put yourself fully into to achieve.

I landed there for gas a few weeks ago and walked past their building to an Arby's for lunch.

It was nice that the airport had Mogas.

Last edited:
I know who they are -- but don't know a lot about them. To be honest I've never really heard much for complaints. I do know some people that got their CFI there and it worked for them.

The CFI is just a lot of work. For those that haven't mastered learning on their own and don't truly know the whole system it's quite a surprise. It's a *HARD* certificate and is something you have to really put yourself fully into to achieve.

I landed there for gas a few weeks ago and walked past their building to an Arby's for lunch.

It was nice that the airport had Mogas.

Can you pm me about your experience with Mogas. I am a new PP and the plane I fly is rated for Mogas, but nearly everyone from CFI to mechanic says its dangerous. They do provide their reasons, so I wondered why even allow GA to use it.
Thank you

My cfi was great and I felt prepared to take the ride. I spent months studying and getting to know the FARs, PTS, etc. Things seemed to fall apart after I left when the FSDO started looking at the school and began doing the rides. I was annoyed when I was charged $30 more per hour for the plane then I was told on the phone, plus the issue I just had. The school didnt even tell me about charging me, it was only after I texted my CFI that I bought my airline ticket, etc. Oh well, at least I can finish at home.

Can you pm me about your experience with Mogas. I am a new PP and the plane I fly is rated for Mogas, but nearly everyone from CFI to mechanic says its dangerous. They do provide their reasons, so I wondered why even allow GA to use it.
Thank you

Mogas dangerous? Thats ludicrous. I've flown planes with Mogas STCs and have had zero issues. NOW if they are talking about the possibility of putting Mogas that has ethanol in it into the fuel system yes that could cause problems but there are easy ways to prevent that.

Thank you
As long as the engine can run safely on Mogas (and is legal to do so..which depends on how it was certified and if there is a STC) then there is nothing unsafe about running Mogas without ethanol.

So not all engines can run Mogas...and ethanol is bad news..but if you can run it then it's a great way to save money.

My Continental A75 in my Experimental happily sips Mogas at 4 gph and is my preferred fuel. I only buy 100LL if I absolutely have to.

Mogas dangerous? Thats ludicrous. I've flown planes with Mogas STCs and have had zero issues. NOW if they are talking about the possibility of putting Mogas that has ethanol in it into the fuel system yes that could cause problems but there are easy ways to prevent that.

After flying the archer Sat Keith told me he has rented over 20k hours running mogas with no mechanical issues related to it. The smell is the only thing that takes some getting used to.

I tried but it was denied.

Back