My Cessna needs 600x6 tire replaced

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
We are in Tulsa area, will go to Ponca City today and leave Monday. Planned route is ~ PNC - BGD Borger, TX - SAF Santa Fe, NM - INW Winslow AZ or HII Lake Havasu - BFL Bakersfield - CIC Chico. Might go to Reno and drive instead if weather stops us.

Have tried to find a tire & mechanic in Tulsa, Ponca, Borger, and Amarillo. Will deviate within reason.

Want to get a new 600x6 tire for Cessna before this one blows. :cryin:

We are in Tulsa area, will go to Ponca City today and leave Monday. Planned route is ~ PNC - BGD Borger, TX - SAF Santa Fe, NM - INW Winslow AZ or HII Lake Havasu - BFL Bakersfield - CIC Chico. Might go to Reno and drive instead if weather stops us.

Have tried to find a tire & mechanic in Tulsa, Ponca, Borger, and Amarillo. Will deviate within reason.

Want to get a new 600x6 tire for Cessna before this one blows. :cryin:

I'm about 30 miles from CIC as I sit in Grass Valley, and if you plan on getting here before Tuesday you might just as well plan on RNO right now. It is raining cats and dogs. Right now we are 200 overcast and half a mile.

I normally keep a spare 600-6 in the hangar and I'd be more than happy to change it for you but I used my last one on the 182 a month or so ago and haven't gotten around to getting a spare.

Jim

But if you want me to look around the field for one that still has a few hours of tread left on it I'll be happy to do it for you middle of next week when this crap is supposed to blow through.

What is the condition of the one you want to replace?

Jim

I've got a call into Double Eagle AEG that has a large maintenance shop. They're looking for a tire. (505) 831-1301. I'll let you know if they have one.

KCOS doesn't have the 4-ply but they do have the 6-ply. A-Cent at KCOS 719-597-2772. I know it's out of the way.

Sante Fe Aero (505.795.790) is only open during the week. I've got a call into the after-hours maintenance number 505-603-7880 and they're checking inventory for me.

If that doesn't work, let me know. If you can detour to Denver I've got a couple of 6.00 x 6 4-ply in my hangar. If the weather's nice, I can meet you by air at Pueblo (PUB) or Raton (RTN). If the weather's not nice, I'll drive down to Pueblo with it. There's still the problem of mounting the tire.

There's always KHUT, I have lots of 600X6 tires and I'm always here.

Kevin

Nope, just got the return call - Santa Fe Aero doesn't have any 6.00x6 in any ply.

Wiseman in Flagstaff (FLG) has Condor 4 ply and Goodyear 6 ply. Call 1-877-wisefbo and talk to Orville (don't laugh!). Unfortunately, it's probably further than you want to fly without replacing the tire.

I've got a Meridian going back to PWA on Sun. afternoon if it helps.

Kevin

Is Greenwood Aviation gone? I can't imagine they wouldn't have one- you might pay full retail, but a 600x6 4 ply? Common as a 12V battery.....

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with Double Eagle (AEG in the west 'burbs of Albuquerque). They keep both the 4-ply and 6-ply in stock. 505-331-2794.

Common tire? Sure. But there are fewer and fewer maintenance shops at the small airports. For example, Wise is the FBO at Winslow (INW) but the shop is at Flagstaff. If someone in Winslow needs help, Wise sends an A&P from Flag to Winslow. There's not a shop at LHX or LAA, you have to get to PUB (Pueblo) and the shop there is busy supporting its own commuter service. When I talked to them this afternoon they were not very helpful nor eager to help.

No shops at Raton, or Trinidad or Las Vegas NM. Need to get to Santa Fe or AEG for help.

Now I'm sure there are A&Ps at the small airports but it's difficult to find them long-distance.

Kevin
We can come up tomorrow. Do you have tools. Limited internet.

Last edited:
Why would you depart on a cross country trip with a tire on the verge of blowing?

I wasn't going to say that, Ed. However, in the other string Peggy says it just went bald....my solution would be carriage of a 600x6, tools and a tube (just in case). But we don't have to tell her that. I think she gets it now. Hope springs eternal but parts don't. Heck, I replace brake pads at annual whether they need it or not- just so I don't have to bleed the system away from home base- the Seneca is a BEAR to bleed.

Leaving for okc in a few hours, could bring a good spare up. The problem with changing tires away from home is carrying the jackstand, just not possible. Certainly wouldn't trust a floor jack.

However, in the other string Peggy says it just went bald.

The difference between just going BALD (airworthy) and CORD SHOWING (unairworthy) is about 30 to 50 landings, depending on how hard you plunk it down on the runway.

Peggy could come to California and go home ten times before it started showing cord IF the tread just disappeared.

But without looking at it I can't pronounce the airworthiness of that particular tire.

Jim

Got the tire. Thanks, all. Yes, landed with too much side-loading. Should have done a better job of it, but some days are like that. Got a brand-new tire at home for all the good that did us.

Kevin Mead in Hutchinson Kansas had the hangar door open as soon as we shut down, changed the tire, filled up the oxygen bottle, offered weather computer. And then we were on our way.

Got the tire. Thanks, all.

Kevin Mead in Hutchinson Kansas had the hangar door open as soon as we shut down, changed the tire, filled up the oxygen bottle, offered weather computer. And then we were on our way.

Kevin
Good job Kevin!! You the man!

Good heavens, man, can't one mechanic ask another mechanic a question to perhaps further my own knowledge? I thought that was the purpose of these boards.

Good heavens, man, can't one poster ask another poster why they asked a question to perhaps further their own knowledge? I realize the purpose of the board is mostly entertainment but fellowship is also part of the deal.

And then we were on our way.

I've flown that route between both Southern and Northern California back into Kansas forty or fifty times. Which route did you decide to take? It looks like the whole state of Utah is IFR and will stay that way for a couple of days. Same for North-eastern Nevada.

Are you thinking of coming into Southern California and then to Mojave, Tehachapi, Bakersfield and then up the Central valley? That route looks fairly clean right now.

When you get around 50 miles south of Chico, I'll have the handheld monitoring 123.3. Give Cessna 73CQ a shout and if I hear you, I'll answer.

ATIS at GOO (Grass Valley, 3150 MSL) reporting 900 broken, visibility 5, wind 130 @ 5 kts.

Jim

Peggy, I have your size tire sitting around. It's brand new. I cannot provide chain of custody but I did buy it straight from Aircraft Spruce. It's a Desser 4-ply.

I'm in Victorville KVCV or KAPV are both good airports.

Why would you depart on a cross country trip with a tire on the verge of blowing?
Just for the record, we did not start out with a tire that was unairworthy. We started with a tire we expected to need repacement in a month or two. I made a poor landing with considerable side loading in a crosswind. This despite engaging a CFI for crosswind landing refresher before leaving.

Peggy, I have your size tire sitting around. It's brand new. I cannot provide chain of custody but I did buy it straight from Aircraft Spruce. It's a Desser 4-ply.

I'm in Victorville KVCV or KAPV are both good airports.
Thanks. We're fixed up. I appreciate the offer.

I've flown that route between both Southern and Northern California back into Kansas forty or fifty times. Which route did you decide to take? It looks like the whole state of Utah is IFR and will stay that way for a couple of days. Same for North-eastern Nevada.

Are you thinking of coming into Southern California and then to Mojave, Tehachapi, Bakersfield and then up the Central valley? That route looks fairly clean right now.

When you get around 50 miles south of Chico, I'll have the handheld monitoring 123.3. Give Cessna 73CQ a shout and if I hear you, I'll answer.

ATIS at GOO (Grass Valley, 3150 MSL) reporting 900 broken, visibility 5, wind 130 @ 5 kts.

Jim
Southwest. We are stopping in Santa Fe tonight and probably cross Tehachapi, then up along the valley. At 50 miles, we start briefing the landing airport, but I'll try to give a shout on 123.3.

Ham radio callsign? L33t-speak? Some famous tail number from a movie or TV show?

73 - Morse code shorthand for "best wishes"
88 - Morse code shorthand for "love & kisses"
CQ - Adapted from "seek you", or an invitation to "chat" in Morse code.
DE - Sent from ...
YF or YL - Wife or Young Lady (any female less than 100 years old)
OM - Old Man (any male over the age of 2)

73 de om WX6RST & yf KB9MII

Jim

Last edited:
Peggy, if you haven't made it to Chico by now, fagetabbouit. It is nasty and snotty all the way from the coast to the crest of the Sierra. Raining like the devil here 30 south of Chico. Thursday looks really good with a lot of breaks and such.

Jim

Jim
Did not get a chance to call you when we came up on the 23rd. Will try again when we go back, Friday.

Back