My Attempt at a $115 ADS-B Receiver Build for Foreflight

Jesse,

Are you including the GPS and AHRS functionality in your test, or just the traffic/weather?

Just updated mine with the Release3 version.

Went thru the same process. Downloaded the R3 version of the software from Github, then used the Imagewriter software to write over the top of the 8gb card.

Powered up the Raspberry and could find Stratux on my iPad. Fired up ForeFlight and could find FreeFlight with 0 towers.

There are some impressive pictures of traffic on the Reddit thread. Not sure if I understand what is upgraded on the R3 version that shows more traffic.

Doing a 200 mile x-country today, and then back tomorrow. Should have plenty of time to see if it works.

Last edited:
Jesse,

Are you including the GPS and AHRS functionality in your test, or just the traffic/weather?

Initial revision will just be the traffic/weather. I will certainly be chasing the GPS/AHRS features shortly after that. But I want to get things encased up nicely and in the field for testing as soon as possible.

Anyone interested PM me.

I have a rough idea of how to make the design work, basically what iteration 1 will be. From there we'll get iterating and should be able to get something pretty kickass together over the next month or so.

Terms of offer:
1.) I can't offer any warranty at this point. I can't promise we won't have heat issues that could cause component failures.

2.) I can't promise I will be able to get the battery into the case but I'm going to try.

3.) Worst case scenario I can't get things worked out at which point I will just ship you all your parts I purchased.

I'm in if you need an alternate beta tester. I'm hoping to get up with the one I built this weekend.

So I built one up last night - was planning to test today. Winds are 60-degrees off centerline 19G35. I think I'll wait for tomorrow. Anxiously awaiting.

So the question is whether the USB RTL radio dongles I already have will work. Guess I'll find out. I use them with RTL1090 at home...

A dude set up a production line for his buddies: :yesnod:
s8kIDvf.jpg

So the question is whether the USB RTL radio dongles I already have will work. Guess I'll find out. I use them with RTL1090 at home...

Looks like it should. The key difference is receiver performance. Will have to try it when I get the chance.

What is the extra assembly on top? With the white chip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the newly added RY835AI GPS/AHRS module which also includes compass and barometer sensors.
See here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RY835AI-18H...e-pressure-Compass-Gyro-sensors-/181566850426
Some people seem to be raving about it (and the rest of the goodies) on the Stratux site:
https://www.reddit.com/r/stratux/
Much still seems to be under development, but obviously some can't wait. :)

Built mine and seems to be working. Can't wait to get up for some testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried mine this morning with one of the older RTL-SDRs (black case, not blue), and it worked fine.

I need to get a 6" usb extension as a strain relief.

Looks like it should. The key difference is receiver performance. Will have to try it when I get the chance.

Last edited:
I tried mine this morning with one of the older RTL-SDRs (black case, not blue), and it worked fine.

I need to get a 6" usb extension as a strain relief.

Good to know. I'm just waiting on the wifi dongle.

Also, I also didn't bother with a battery and just ran it off a cigarette lighter->usb->micro usb.

Finally got to fly with mine, and, it worked....... Kind of.

I usually only had 0, 1, or 2 towers, with 3 towers only noticed once.

The first tower was about 2500 agl.

I was flying over very remote country at 8500-9500, so not sure what I should have expected for reception.

When I was getting reception, I was only getting weather for a few stations, and not getting data for other stations. I had the antenna fully retracted and had it by the window / door post on the pax side.

I only got radar once, again not sure what I should have expected over remote country. Not sure how local - regional - national is transmitted..

I never got any traffic, although, there was zero traffic that I ever heard on my trip out, or my trip back. (Weather on Saturday was "not fun", so I would guess VFR hamburger guys were not going to be up.)

b0f08596720f98c23b1205b1ed5895a0.jpg
7f432754c2fb7fa28419cc095ff6a83e.jpg

image.jpgGot up with mine this morning. Start d getting data around 1500'agl. Not sure about radar info as it was clear other than a high overcast here this morning. All in all not too shabby I'd say.

And another can only add 1 pic from my iPad at a time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 59
View attachment 41190Got up with mine this morning. Start d getting data around 1500'agl. Not sure about radar info as it was clear other than a high overcast here this morning. All in all not too shabby I'd say.

Looks like you got plenty of radar data, 5 radar frames - probably didn't have any echoes. As long as it doesn't have "radar information not available" on the screen then it's filled in. ForeFlight is good about letting you know if it has data or not.

Looks like you got plenty of radar data, 5 radar frames - probably didn't have any echoes. As long as it doesn't have "radar information not available" on the screen then it's filled in. ForeFlight is good about letting you know if it has data or not.

Ah I see now. Come to think of it though, I looked at the screen shot of the map and I didn't have the radar option selected just the map and TFR section. Back to the sky I guess!
Thanks

I received the new 3D printer this weekend and it took quite a bit of messing around with to get it online and working well. That's done, but I've been sick all day and haven't been able to play.

I have the first version of a case printing right now that I drew up. I expect it'll take me a few iterations but should have something to show in a couple more days.

I received the new 3D printer this weekend and it took quite a bit of messing around with to get it online and working well. That's done, but I've been sick all day and haven't been able to play.

I have the first version of a case printing right now that I drew up. I expect it'll take me a few iterations but should have something to show in a couple more days.

Don't worry about sleeping.

I would suggest to check out the two 3D projects on stratux-reddit for reference:
- http://imgur.com/a/VZJAV
- http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:990127

Also, consider allowing for the newer dual-band and GPS/AHRS options -- I think both of the above designers are working on that.

Edit: One more thing to consider, esp. relating to options, is that apparently the device is a power hog, esp. with it comes to the extra options. Therefore the original recommended battery is insufficient and people are getting more powerful ones. Others are just connecting to aircraft power. I would therefore recommend not to include the battery in the case, since it could limit the power options.

Last edited:
I would suggest to check out the two 3D projects on stratux-reddit for reference:
- http://imgur.com/a/VZJAV
- http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:990127

Also, consider allowing for the newer dual-band and GPS/AHRS options -- I think both of the above designers are working on that.

Edit: One more thing to consider, esp. relating to options, is that apparently the device is a power hog, esp. with it comes to the extra options. Therefore the original recommended battery is insufficient and people are getting more powerful ones. Others are just connecting to aircraft power. I would therefore recommend not to include the battery in the case, since it could limit the power options.
Models on that Thingiverse link aren't happy campers in any slicer I've tried them in. Not sure what's wrong with the STL files...

My current plan is to get a basic edition done and shipped which will be single band without GPS/AHRS. That'll give some time for those options to stabilize and mature a bit. Although I may change my mind.

Which thread are the comments on power consumption?

My "base model" ran 4 hours and the battery pack still shows 3 of the 4 LED's as charged.

I assume the iPad will lose battery faster than the Raspberry.

Models on that Thingiverse link aren't happy campers in any slicer I've tried them in. Not sure what's wrong with the STL files...

My current plan is to get a basic edition done and shipped which will be single band without GPS/AHRS. That'll give some time for those options to stabilize and mature a bit. Although I may change my mind.

We owe you munnee. Lemme know how/who to pay. Ready when you are.

My "base model" ran 4 hours and the battery pack still shows 3 of the 4 LED's as charged.

Look at "problem 4" here: https://www.reddit.com/r/stratux/comments/3j03ll/the_iknowjustenoughtobedangerous_nonprogrammers/

Apparently the power issues are when feeding two SDRs (for dual band) dongles plus the WiFi, along with all the rest. I assume when you add the AHRS/GPS it gets worse.
Some people have resorted to using the humongous USB battery like the Anker E7 with enough power to jump-start your engine in a pinch. :)

Last edited:
I did a comparison between the old SdR receiver and the V2 version speced in this kit. The V2 is far better. The old ones should work, but the new ones are more sensitive and have better dynamic range and better image rejection.

For even better performance, I see that there is also a version with 0.5 ppm frequency stability. That should maximize the range, especially at 1090. If you use it for other things the 0.5 ppm version will be far better. And it's $25 compared to the $21 for the regular version.

Is it just me but how the hell is the metal antenna meant to screw on to this !!!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 66
Is it just me but how the hell is the metal antenna meant to screw on to this !!!

It looks like the male threads came off the antenna and stayed in the female base.

Can you back the brass threads out of the base?

Not just you. Could not figure out a non-destructive way to get more threads, ordered a replacement, will return 'stubby' to Amazon.

Not just you. Could not figure out a non-destructive way to get more threads, ordered a replacement, will return 'stubby' to Amazon.

Just did the same thing, was also looking for the short black right angle ones should in a previous image. See post 131.. Anyone know a part number for them ?

Look at "problem 4" here: https://www.reddit.com/r/stratux/comments/3j03ll/the_iknowjustenoughtobedangerous_nonprogrammers/

Apparently the power issues are when feeding two SDRs (for dual band) dongles plus the WiFi, along with all the rest. I assume when you add the AHRS/GPS it gets worse.
Some people have resorted to using the humongous USB battery like the Anker E7 with enough power to jump-start your engine in a pinch. :)

There is a new thread on reddit discussing power supply issues. It's clear that USB power cables are the main potential culprit. Even a perfect USB supply that can deliver mega-amps at 5V would not help if your cable/connector impedance is too high, as it would be for the cheaper brands. The solution is to use high quality USB power cables and connectors, as short as possible (every inch counts!).

Last edited:
Back