My Attempt at a $115 ADS-B Receiver Build for Foreflight

With v4 (latest release) there is no way to really shut it down other than unplug it.. In the beta release there is a shut down option. I'm sticking with v4 on my new raspberry this next go around..

With v4 (latest release) there is no way to really shut it down other than unplug it.. In the beta release there is a shut down option. I'm sticking with v4 on my new raspberry this next go around..

I believe they released a v5 variant last week to full release but I haven't looked since I saw the announcement.

Great! Thanks! On my next go around I think I'm going to stick with the battery power and not use the cigarette lighter outlet on my Cherokee..

[snip]
I've done that a hundred times to one of mine and no harm done, even though it's "mean" to it. Hmm. But I do have a spare... Heh.

And there's the difference. Somehow they know. Just like the Sys Admin Proximity bit...

When you said you copied the image, you used the image loading software correct, and not just copy the file over?

And there's the difference. Somehow they know. Just like the Sys Admin Proximity bit...

My Windows users swear their desktops know when I'm coming over and stop doing whatever bad thing that it was doing before I arrive at their desk. Haha.

My Windows users swear their desktops know when I'm coming over and stop doing whatever bad thing that it was doing before I arrive at their desk. Haha.

All the machines at home do that for me. Mac, Windows, printers, modem all of them. Just ask my wife & kids.

I believe they released a v5 variant last week to full release but I haven't looked since I saw the announcement.

It was V6 but it was just a roll up of all the v5 betas in order to get some of the newer features and fixes out.

Seems stable for me so far on WingX, AHRS is working better but still a work in progress.

Power consumption apparently is also reduced so you might get more time out of the battery.

Last edited:
Hook it up to a monitor and see if it's partially booting. You probably just trashed the filesystem on the SD card.

Can likely fix it with fsck at boot time or just burn a new one.

The Stratux code to shut down is not really done right and isn't technically any better than pulling the power other than whatever transients might do in the circuitry of the Pi. They just call "halt" without so much as a "sync" before it, which is a crappy way to shut off a UNIX system.

True, which is why I open a terminal window on the tablet and do a "nice" shutdown. Takes about 1 extra minute.

:no: ain't workin,

That's because you've connected to the computer, and not just the monitor. How do I know? Because the RPi is running Linux and the only thing on the monitor is Windows. This is the downside of using a laptop. See if you can find a stand-alone monitor and USB keyboard & mouse.

Ok, first things first... When I got the pi I never loaded the OS that came on the supplied SD card..Should I have?
No need, the Stratux software comes complete with the Linux OS.
Second, I copied the image file to the card and inserted it and away it went.. It worked fine... Just recently I loaded the latest beta release to it .... On the old (official) release it seemed to work fine..
Downside of using Beta versions.
I'll format now and get back to you...Thanks a ton!!!

True, which is why I open a terminal window on the tablet and do a "nice" shutdown. Takes about 1 extra minute.
So what are the "nice" commands to shutdown the pi?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

:no: ain't workin,

You probably figured this out, but you can't plug the HDMI into a laptop. The plugs on a laptop are OUTPUT not input.

You need to plug the HDMI directly into a monitor, a computer WILL NOT WORK. I've tried this since I have dual monitors setup and I have a DVI and an HDMI plug on my second monitor. If I want to do anything on the PI I just hookup the PI via HDMI and switch source.

Also there is a shutdown and reboot option on the stratux software just go to the home page, which is the default gateway usually of the wireless network stratux. On mine it's 192.168.10.1. There's no login.

You have to go to that page to enable the two ADS-B frequencies, GPS and AHRS (if you have the chip or a source for it).

You probably figured this out, but you can't plug the HDMI into a laptop. The plugs on a laptop are OUTPUT not input.

You need to plug the HDMI directly into a monitor, a computer WILL NOT WORK. I've tried this since I have dual monitors setup and I have a DVI and an HDMI plug on my second monitor. If I want to do anything on the PI I just hookup the PI via HDMI and switch source.

Also there is a shutdown and reboot option on the stratux software just go to the home page, which is the default gateway usually of the wireless network stratux. On mine it's 192.168.10.1. There's no login.

You have to go to that page to enable the two ADS-B frequencies, GPS and AHRS (if you have the chip or a source for it).

I did plug into the hdmi port of a tv .. Used the remote to select hdmi2.. Which was the port I plugged into.. Nothing came on that screen either.. I haven't had time to mess with it ..I have a new Pi coming

I did plug into the hdmi port of a tv .. Used the remote to select hdmi2.. Which was the port I plugged into.. Nothing came on that screen either.. I haven't had time to mess with it ..I have a new Pi coming

Bummer, sorry to hear that.

FWIW, I did the same thing and I got a black screen as well. I left it connected, powered off and on and I saw the bootup process, drivers load and it left me with a sort of selection screen. Again, you probably tried this, so here's hoping the replacement PI goes better.

I'm guessing it goes into a black hole after all the startup since there's nothing to show with the stratux software and it's all background. No dancing bears or gerbils once the software is up and running.

If you do have the ACTUAL PI software, then yeah you get a nice graphical interface and some programming stuff to muck around with.

Bummer, sorry to hear that.

FWIW, I did the same thing and I got a black screen as well. I left it connected, powered off and on and I saw the bootup process, drivers load and it left me with a sort of selection screen. Again, you probably tried this, so here's hoping the replacement PI goes better.

I'm guessing it goes into a black hole after all the startup since there's nothing to show with the stratux software and it's all background. No dancing bears or gerbils once the software is up and running.

If you do have the ACTUAL PI software, then yeah you get a nice graphical interface and some programming stuff to muck around with.

The selection screen has an option to expand the filesystem to fit your larger SD card. Worth doing for logs.

I'm getting all of the items for this (the Pi arrives tomorrow...), but I have one question:
Has anyone gotten it to work with Bluetooth? (Using BT USB instead of WiFi on the Pi) I'd prefer that over WiFi due to power requirements on both the Stratux and the iPad.

I have two micro SD cards for my Pi. One is for ADS-B and my tablet and the other is for travel. I got a wireless keyboard that is about 3x5 inches. I plug the wireless USB chip into the Pi and plug the Pi into the hotel TV. Switch the TV on and switch to the right HDMI input and I have a big screen computer I can use from across the room to surf the web. I can't get the sound to work but I think it is due to a cheap SD chip and needs to be reprogramed in my computer. Otherwise I have a computer and no need to carry a screen or power supply in my bag.

I have two micro SD cards for my Pi. One is for ADS-B and my tablet and the other is for travel. I got a wireless keyboard that is about 3x5 inches. I plug the wireless USB chip into the Pi and plug the Pi into the hotel TV. Switch the TV on and switch to the right HDMI input and I have a big screen computer I can use from across the room to surf the web. I can't get the sound to work but I think it is due to a cheap SD chip and needs to be reprogramed in my computer. Otherwise I have a computer and no need to carry a screen or power supply in my bag.

Have you done this?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/audio-config.md

Yea, it says in the notes somewhere that it might not work for some cheap SD cards so I will change it on my home computer before my next travel.

Why would changing the HDMI audio settings not work with a particular SD card?

Makes zero technical sense.

Note in the link I sent that there are multiple HDMI modes that need to be tried and that's probably because of bugs/missed implementations in the TVs more than an issue with the Pi code, other than they could code in a way to try to handle it more gracefully in the kernel module instead of having to pass variables at module load time/boot.

I pulled that page up and tried both paths. In another posting they mentioned that some SD cards will not accept the changes on the fly so to speak. That's when I quit and went to bed.

OK, I ordered all the parts for a dual SDR model, they arrived, I burned the software, and hooked up app the pieces.

Then connected the device to my iPad and Foreflight.

I can see some traffic on the 978 frequency, but Foreflight says it sees nothing on the 1090 frequency.

Is this normal when testing on the ground?

Also, I am not seeing any towers, should I see towers while on the ground?

Thanks,
Cliff

OK, I ordered all the parts for a dual SDR model, they arrived, I burned the software, and hooked up app the pieces.

Then connected the device to my iPad and Foreflight.

I can see some traffic on the 978 frequency, but Foreflight says it sees nothing on the 1090 frequency.

Is this normal when testing on the ground?

Also, I am not seeing any towers, should I see towers while on the ground?

Thanks,
Cliff
While connected to Stratux, use the browser on your device and type 192.168.10.1 into the address box. It should being up the Stratux web interface. Under settings, make sure both 1909 and 978 are turned on.

You will not always get towers while on the ground. It depends on the closest tower's location, where you are, and the service level of the tower.

Joshua

Thanks,

Now, looking through the Stratus page at 192.168.10.1 , it appears as though I am not receiving and UAT traffic, and all planes that I am seeing are from 1090 sources.

Foreflight reports this as 978 traffic for some reason.

Is there a site that lists the location for the towers? I'd like to check and see if there is one close to get near and see if I can see traffic from it.

Cliff

So what are the "nice" commands to shutdown the pi?

at the command line on the Pi

$ sudo init 0

or

$ sudo halt

where the $ is the prompt where you type in the command, then hit the return/enter key

I'm getting all of the items for this (the Pi arrives tomorrow...), but I have one question:
Has anyone gotten it to work with Bluetooth? (Using BT USB instead of WiFi on the Pi) I'd prefer that over WiFi due to power requirements on both the Stratux and the iPad.

If you have a Bluetooth transmitter attached to the Pi, sure. But the transmitter that comes with the Pi is a wifi dongle, and the software is written for wifi. Feel free to download the source and add the bluetooth driver (I assume there's a BT driver with the Pi software someplace) and make sure you have the bluetooth hardware for the Pi, too.

Not that a fan is a BAD idea, but keep the heat producer out of the sun: stash the box underneath in the shade somewhere, leave the antenna up in the sun, plenty of cable with the stock setup to do this. Actually may look for some switched power in the tunnel of the not rented PA-28 and tap into that for the box, put the antenna on the hat shelf.

On my cherokee 180, there's a cig lighter socket on the floor at the back of the flap tunnel. I plug into that, with the stratux on the back seat or on the back floor with the antennas velcro'd on top of the window. No AHRS yet, so location doesn't matter.

Thank You.. I'm seeing a tower within 30miles of me, so, I just might take a drive and see if I can pick it up as I get close.

Cliff

Did the same test on mine to make sure 978 UAT worked. You can either get close or get on a high hill that can "see" the tower site. 978 MHz is very "line of sight" at the power level used.

If you have a Bluetooth transmitter attached to the Pi, sure. But the transmitter that comes with the Pi is a wifi dongle, and the software is written for wifi. Feel free to download the source and add the bluetooth driver (I assume there's a BT driver with the Pi software someplace) and make sure you have the bluetooth hardware for the Pi, too.

Wouldn't matter unless the receiving software has the same functionality.

Foreflight, WingX etc have no idea how to attach Bluetooth devices and associate them, nor how to use them as a serial connection. They're all taking via an IP based standard.

at the command line on the Pi

$ sudo init 0

or

$ sudo halt

where the $ is the prompt where you type in the command, then hit the return/enter key
But as I understood here, "halt" was a very crude way to shutdown the system.

But as I understood here, "halt" was a very crude way to shutdown the system.

It's better than pulling the power cord. Most of the time "halt" calls the "shutdown" command.

Here's a third option.

$ sudo shutdown -h now

It's better than pulling the power cord. Most of the time "halt" calls the "shutdown" command.

Here's a third option.

$ sudo shutdown -h now
If halt is as good as any other, the shutdown button on the web interface is sufficient then.

Have any of you tried options other than the RY for ahrs functionality?

Also, some of the previous posts have indicated that they were able to get some sort of "basic" ahrs system in place? I'd be interested in getting a bit more info regarding this.

Have any of you tried options other than the RY for ahrs functionality?

Also, some of the previous posts have indicated that they were able to get some sort of "basic" ahrs system in place? I'd be interested in getting a bit more info regarding this.

I have seen references to

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11028

and

https://www.tindie.com/products/ozz...e-magnetometer-and-barometricaltitude-sensor/

but so far no one has tested these with the current Stratux code

Back