My Aerobatic Glider Videos

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
Believe it or not, I paid $60 for an HD go pro video, which I thought came with sound. It did not (but had some music instead).

The camera was mounted to the outside of the glider via a suction cup, and the DVD was mailed to me.

However, I have not uploaded or posted that 45 minutes of video (or the shorter clip they send to share with friends and family) for two reasons:

1. In the actual video, my full name is embedded (last name). I need to contact them for removal.

2. In reviewing my own HD videos today (shot with my hand held cell phone) I find them BETTER because of the sound. I had shown folks the video at the Reno Air Races with the sound turned off and it was not until today that I heard the sounds. Holy cow, you can hear the CFI explain each manuever!!!

Here is the breakdown:

Aerobatic Glider Video 1

1. Point the nose down, to gain airspeed. Get to 100 knots, then perform a "loop".

2. Go upside down (inverted). Hang out upside down.

3. Go right side up again.

4. Fly "straight up" again and then turn the plane - it goes dead silent for about 2 seconds and seems to come to a complete stop. (You can hear me say "wow!" at this point)

5. Do the same as number 4, only in the other direction.

6. Around 1:20 you will hear the CFI say "now we are going to do what is called a cuban eight" (fun!!!) - he explains in the video this is a half loop, half roll manuever.

http://youtu.be/5iY0gNfcX2s

http://youtu.be/e2Dyon6hMZk

Last edited:
Great video, looked and sounded like you were having fun.

Glider pilot friend of mine did a similar ride a few years ago on a great soaring day. When they got low they would roll inverted and thermal back up to altitude while inverted.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Last edited:
Dear Kimberly,
You suck.
Love,
PoA

Dear Kimberly,
You suck.
Love,
PoA

Dear George,

It wasn't free. With money, you too can buy a "wild ride" in Minden Nevada! Just don't barf. I knew I wouldn't but had to test my theory. I was right and now I wonder if I should look into aerobatics further.

Kewl! Glad you enjoyed it; I think every pilot should try gliders and/or aerobatics, at least once. Both at the same time... even better.

Your reaction at the top of your first loop was very similar to mine, LOL!

Kewl! Glad you enjoyed it; I think every pilot should try gliders and/or aerobatics, at least once. Both at the same time... even better.

Your reaction at the top of your first loop was very similar to mine, LOL!

When you go upside down, all the little dirt pieces and rocks go to the ceiling above your face. Your seatbelt also comes up towards your face along with any loose objects. This is why I only brought my cell phone camera but man oh man it did a great job. You bet camera will be important to me from now on when I buy another smart phone.

Nice vids Kimberly. Love the glider stuff! I need to get in one soon. There a few glider clubs/schools nearby.

Last edited:
As a general rule, anytime a video starts with "Holy Crap!!" you know it's going to be worth watching. :)

Those were great vids. Not too long. Entertaining to watch. Thanks. Looking forward to some others.

As a general rule, anytime a video starts with "Holy Crap!!" you know it's going to be worth watching. :)

Those were great vids. Not too long. Entertaining to watch. Thanks. Looking forward to some others.

Thanks. When I take photos, I crop in the lens since I don't have time to edit 800 photos when I get home.

What I'm learning about videos is similar:

1. Cell phone easily stops and starts, so I took about 10 videos (or more) during flight. Goal was to minimize edits later (cropping).

2. You tube lets you edit videos and "patch" them together so short is always better than long.

3. As you'll see, I keep forgetting to orient the camera the right way. Then it is skinny looking. I'm working on this.

4. Sound makes a video more awesome. Sound is hard to do in aviation (I have a sort of setup but it doesn't work in the 150).

5. The most important thing you can do in cell phone video is KEEP THE CAMERA STEADY. Rest it against something like a tripod.

That's awesome! Love how the mic caught has the sound goes completely away - very cool!

Nice. Also demonstrated very well how much you can HEAR your airspeed in a glider, and after some glider time you are much more attuned to it in powered aircraft too.

Cool videos!

Brought back some memories for me.... took a week long acro course back in the 80s out near Phoenix. I trained in a Grob which I'm guessing is what you were in (?). I flew with a woman instructor because her light weight would compensate for my somewhat greater weight at the time.

But acro is not for me - I do get airsick. I almost lost it on a few of those training flights. My thing was racing which I had a chance to do at Minden. Minden is truly one of the great sailplane racing sites in the world. Here is an account I wrote of the 1992 15meter championships and my first race in western US conditions.. woo wheee!

Minden from the Air - 1992
(text download)
Sorry, no cell phone videos or pics to share... we were using a pair of Kodak Instamatics to document our turnpoints... and there were dinosaurs roaming the land. Enjoy!

Hey Kimberly, here's your chance to enter into the rarest, most exclusive pilot club there is - female glider aerobatic competition pilot. :D

Cool videos!

Brought back some memories for me.... took a week long acro course back in the 80s out near Phoenix. I trained in a Grob which I'm guessing is what you were in (?). I flew with a woman instructor because her light weight would compensate for my somewhat greater weight at the time.

But acro is not for me - I do get airsick. I almost lost it on a few of those training flights. My thing was racing which I had a chance to do at Minden. Minden is truly one of the great sailplane racing sites in the world. Here is an account I wrote of the 1992 15meter championships and my first race in western US conditions.. woo wheee!

Minden from the Air - 1992
(text download)
Sorry, no cell phone videos or pics to share... we were using a pair of Kodak Instamatics to document our turnpoints... and there were dinosaurs roaming the land. Enjoy!

The canopy emergency jettison handle above the instrument panel gives it away. It's an ASK-21.

The aerobatic stuff seemed like a lot fun but no doubt my favorite video was of the approach to final. Also neat to see energy management. Lots of fun flight :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cool stuff, on of my clients fathers flies glider acro nearby. Gave me his video, looks like fun.

What, he didn't let you touch the stick?
Foul!

It was a one hour ride and I just clipped out 8 minutes for the YouTube. I did fly it but not any of the aerobatics.

Back