MV-22 Osprey photos

Remarkable engine synchronization. I didn't notice one frame of video that showed the propellers more than a few degrees out of sync.

Lance, I don't know how any self-respecting EE/multi-engine pilot could sleep at night without such capability on his own aircraft. Time to get out the DAQ hardware and Nyquist diagrams.

Matthew

Remarkable engine synchronization. I didn't notice one frame of video that showed the propellers more than a few degrees out of sync...

Thats because there's an interconnect drive shaft that runs throught the wings and connects the drive systems together. The Proprotors always turn together and either engine can power both rotors in the event one engine is lost.

V-22: The aircraft that could unite fixed-wing and fling-wing drivers once and for all.

Gosh, Lee. Reality takes all the fun out of life.

M

Lee forgot to tell you he is an engineer with Boeing at thier Ridley plant in PA where the Osprey is made.

So lee how does it turn or bank? Spoilers? tilting of one rotor? I saw photos with full flaps down but no ailerons.

...how does it turn or bank? Spoilers? tilting of one rotor? I saw photos with full flaps down but no ailerons.

It depends on the flight configuration. If it's in helicopter mode it does it by a combination of tilting the rotor disk and differential thrust. In airplane mode bank is controlled by flapperons. The photo you saw was was probably of an aircraft in helicopter mode. The flaps defect downward to get them out of the way of the rotor downwash.

In conversion mode, when the nacelles are somewhere between vertical and horizontal, the fly by wire system uses a combination of the helicopter mode controls and the airplane mode controls depending on the nacelle angle.

It'll get marines killed. No forward gun, can't land in a hurry. Govm't program gone nightmarishly bad.

Would work wonders for the civilian sector. Don't need to land in a hurry, don't need a forward gun, and don't need a runway.

Back