Mustering endorsement?

Probably a good idea -- chasing cows with airplanes ain't for the uninitiated. Seems to me a Cirrus driver cartwheeled his plane trying this.

Ron Levy said:
Probably a good idea -- chasing cows with airplanes ain't for the uninitiated. Seems to me a Cirrus driver cartwheeled his plane trying this.
It's also an activity which seems to be responsible for Robinson issueing the SB which called for the replacement of the main rotor blades on R22's.

There were a number of crashes in Australia due to main rotor failure. It was theorized that the culprits were corrosion due to salt air, and high G ops when herding cattle.

I think I'll stick to chasing roads and rivers and forego chasing cows and sheep :yes:

Hey if youre bored like I am, type in "cattle" in the 'word string' of the NTSB accident query site, with dates back to 1960. I got three pages! and a lot of it was in Texas, which jives with what I'd heard (at least one in AUS too) and every other entry is Robinson. Today I was going to visit a crashed wreck of a Schweitzer an acquaintance racked up on a ranch over the xmas holidays but the wx is not so great right now.

RotaryWingBob said:
It's also an activity which seems to be responsible for Robinson issueing the SB which called for the replacement of the main rotor blades on R22's.

There were a number of crashes in Australia due to main rotor failure. It was theorized that the culprits were corrosion due to salt air, and high G ops when herding cattle.

I think I'll stick to chasing roads and rivers and forego chasing cows and sheep :yes:

One of my favs so far is a pilot trying to herd a big bull away from his waterhole territory with a chopper.
Final score: Bull 1, Chopper 0 (totalled, it sounded by direct contact!).

Dave Krall CFII said:
One of my favs so far is a pilot trying to herd a big bull away from his waterhole territory with a chopper.
I hate it when that happens, Dave...

RotaryWingBob said:
I hate it when that happens, Dave...

And in the fixed wing category:
Low level Coyote hunters in their SuperCub 0,
Coyote, 2

Dave Krall CFII said:
Geez, for that to work, the operant assumption would have to be that a bull is afraid (!!) of a helicopter! Heck, a bull ain't afraid of ANYthing!

etsisk said:
Geez, for that to work, the operant assumption would have to be that a bull is afraid (!!) of a helicopter! Heck, a bull ain't afraid of ANYthing!

It's a **** poor human who gets out thought by a bovine. Trick to mustering bulls is to **** em off and get them to chase you to the rest of the herd. The key is to keep the herd together and they all just move along with the drovers. You use the aircraft to round up the stragglers. Ultralights are real handy for this work as are gyrocopters. I think helis are too expensive and too fragile to be worth while at it. Most mustering down here is done fixed wing.

Henning said:
It's a **** poor human who gets out thought by a bovine. Trick to mustering bulls is to **** em off and get them to chase you to the rest of the herd. The key is to keep the herd together and they all just move along with the drovers. You use the aircraft to round up the stragglers. Ultralights are real handy for this work as are gyrocopters. I think helis are too expensive and too fragile to be worth while at it. Most mustering down here is done fixed wing.
Assuming they manuever a lot, what is their maneuvering speed? Is there a typical type a/c not ultralight?

No, you don't want to run them, chances are they'll not go in the direction you want and then they'll scatter the herd. I just walk 'em, but that is within crossed fenced boundaries so I don't have to range over hill and dale.

Back