Mustang Beach, Port Aransas Fly-in, Dec 2nd & 3rd -- Who's In?

Questions for the Mustang Beach PofA Fly In

• Total voters

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
307249_280086798680570_280086355347281_972822_1582181294_n.jpg

Woo hoo! After 21 months of work, we are finally ready to come out as an aviation-themed hotel, and we're throwing a party that you are invited to attend! Yep, we are about to rename the Harbor Inn "Amelia's Landing", an aviation themed island hotel with each room decorated to reflect a different era of aviation history.

We are located in Port Aransas, Texas -- the only city on Mustang Island, a barrier island in the Gulf of Mexico, just North of Corpus Christi. Port A (as it's known) has miles of world-class beaches, dozens of great restaurants, great fishing, an Arnold Palmer-designed golf course -- and a really nice airport.

Those add up to the perfect combination of attractions for pilots of all ages! (Mustang Beach Airport - KRAS -- may be seen here)

We are planning our "coming out party" for December 2 - 3rd, and hope you can join us! Here is a tentative plan for our weekend of partying!:

Friday Afternoon/Evening
Arrivals. We will pick you up and shuttle you to the hotel.

Because this is a celebration of our name change to Amelia's Landing, I have set our prices for y'all ridiculously low -- just $59.95/night for a single queen aviation themed room. That price includes breakfast brought to your room in the morning. (If you want a bigger room, we will probably have them available for slightly more moola.)

If you've got other accommodations on the island, that's fine, too. Mary and I just want you to come party with us!

Because arrivals will be sporadic throughout the day, we will just do drinks and hors d'ouerves at poolside that night.

Saturday Afternoon
About 2 PM, we will do a cookout, either at poolside or in our hangar (if the weather doesn't cooperate). This will be typical island seafood fare, and lots of cold Shiner Bock!

The island Parrothead Club will be there, and we're hoping to snag some live music. Stay tuned...

Saturday Night
At dark, we will trek down to the docks, to watch the annual Christmas Boat Parade. This event features elaborately decorated boats, parading past for prizes and awards. It's a unique event that attracts people from all over!

Depending on how late this goes, we may do a bar crawl (there are LOTS of bars on this island, all within walking distance) or head back to the hotel for drinks at poolside.

We hope you can make it, and help us celebrate! We are far from finished (we've got three more rooms down to the studs as I'm typing this, and next year we plan to add a second story to the lobby area...) but we have come a VERY long ways in the last 21 months!

Last edited:
So I start a thread about a Texas fly-in, and now it looks like I can't make that date... Argh. I'm scheduled to be in Fredericksburg that day. Oh well, maybe next time. Hope this one goes well.

Ryan

Also out due to prior commitment in Florida.

But interested in future gatherings.

So I start a thread about a Texas fly-in, and now it looks like I can't make that date... Argh. I'm scheduled to be in Fredericksburg that day. Oh well, maybe next time. Hope this one goes well.

Ryan

Sorry, Ryan. We checked all other dates, and rejected them as being too close to T-giving or Xmas.

You can't get out of going to Fredericksburg? Or do both? We're not THAT far apart!

Sorry, Ryan. We checked all other dates, and rejected them as being too close to T-giving or Xmas.

You can't get out of going to Fredericksburg? Or do both? We're not THAT far apart!
Loyal customer... with someone coming from out of town and they want to do the flight together.

Ryan

Good for you for doing this Jay. I would LOVE to come. However, the exigencies of traveling 1000 miles VFR in winter do give me quite a bit of pause.

Good for you for doing this Jay. I would LOVE to come. However, the exigencies of traveling 1000 miles VFR in winter do give me quite a bit of pause.
That all depends on frontal activity down here... if a front came through, say on Dec. 1st, you could almost guarantee clear skies and beautiful weather for a good portion of the state.

Ryan

That all depends on frontal activity down here... if a front came through, say on Dec. 1st, you could almost guarantee clear skies and beautiful weather for a good portion of the state.

Ryan

Yah, but if that happens down there the wx will turn to $h!t on a shingle up here. I'd have to set aside two weeks minimum, probably three to fly there and back. During winter the wx up here gets bad and stays that way.

Yah, but if that happens down there the wx will turn to $h!t on a shingle up here. I'd have to set aside two weeks minimum, probably three to fly there and back. During winter the wx up here gets bad and stays that way.
Ugh. Gotta love Texas in the winter.

Ryan

Ugh. Gotta love Texas in the winter.
*chuckle* yeah... short sleeves for most of it, freeze you caboose off for no more than 2-3 weeks, and shut the entire state down on any threat of ice. Call FEMA if snow actually accumulates.

Actually demonstrates the climate has changed noticebly. I remember as a kid of the 70's it getting really cold in early november and staying that way until February.

*chuckle* yeah... short sleeves for most of it, freeze you caboose off for no more than 2-3 weeks, and shut the entire state down on any threat of ice. Call FEMA if snow actually accumulates.

Actually demonstrates the climate has changed noticebly. I remember as a kid of the 70's it getting really cold in early november and staying that way until February.

The weather in the 1970s was not typical. In fact, it was thought to be the start of an Ice Age. (Having survived those years in Wisconsin, we definitely thought it was!)

Here on the island, although it's possible to get chilly at night (and it does dip below freezing, on rare occasions), generally speaking we can expect gorgeous weather in December!

The only way I could go would be . . . well heck I can't go.

Have fun and take lots of photos. One day I do need to get to Texas. I have some non-POA pilots from another aviation website I'd like to meet and fly with . . . oh and of course people from POA too.

Well, we had 19 people vote for putting together a Texas PofA fly-in, and so far we have ONE person committed to attend? One?

C'mon, folks -- if you want to do this, speak up!

Well, we had 19 people vote for putting together a Texas PofA fly-in, and so far we have ONE person committed to attend? One?

C'mon, folks -- if you want to do this, speak up!

Jay - I think there is a place for fly-ins (not here, not in Controlled Airspace / Flight Following).

It is "Cool Places To Fly".

I will post something there, pointing to this.

Hope you have a good turnout.

Ah to be just a little closer! Only 9.5 for me but still almost $900 in fuel round trip. Am looking at businesses to buy down that way so maybe next year!
Have fun y'all..:D

Sounds hard to resist to me.

If I can knock back a couple of priors, I'm there!

Let's see.... beach... aviation folks.... golf, fishing .... alcohol.... a friggin boat parade....

I'm there!

Come on people!

[Wow! I've been a member of POA since 2007, and I have a grand total of 3 posts -- including this one! So obviously I think this is important!!]

Well, I'll give this posting another couple of days to see if there's any real interest. If we can get ten people to commit by this coming weekend, we'll go ahead and put something together.

It's up to y'all, if you want to do something like this on the island. We will be busier than hell either way -- this is going to be a blowout party for locals, regardless of whether any PofA'ers fly in -- so if you guys want me to organize a PofA get-together with set events (dinner, golf, charters) for that weekend, you need to make a commitment!

Let's see.... beach... aviation folks.... golf, fishing .... alcohol.... a friggin boat parade....

I'm there!

Come on people!

[Wow! I've been a member of POA since 2007, and I have a grand total of 3 posts -- including this one! So obviously I think this is important!!]

Sweet!

And, hey -- even if no one else from PofA decides to fly in, we will still do some serious, first-class, A-1, pedal to the metal partying with the Parrotheads, Paul! Those people know how to DRINK. :lol:

Okay, I have reworked the original message in this thread to better reflect the reality that -- despite a poll that showed 19 PofA'ers wanting to get-together -- this isn't going to be a Pilots of America event after all. (Sadly, I can't seem to delete the poll -- please disregard it.)

Instead, it's going to be a wide-open-to-the-public PARTY! We will be doing two days of celebrating of our "coming out" as an aviation themed hotel, and you're all invited.

Mary and I hope you can make it!

Last edited:
I'll be in at some point but an overnight isn't in the cards yet. My wife isn't comfortable flying yet.

I might come down for the day though if the weather is good. Only about 2 hrs. one way for me.

The only way I could go would be . . . well heck I can't go.

Have fun and take lots of photos. One day I do need to get to Texas. I have some non-POA pilots from another aviation website I'd like to meet and fly with . . . oh and of course people from POA too.

Kimberly - get to Denver, and come along with me?

Kimberly - get to Denver, and come along with me?
*puppy eyes*

Oh wait, I just realized that if I flew up to Denver to join you, my rental would sit idle, and the mandatory flight time per day would run up the bill to the point where it's the same cost as going direct (last time I took N7342J to FTG, it was $1021; plus 2 days of 3 mandatory hours: $780).

I made a few calculations. The theoretically cheapest for me is N28GX out of SAF, only $1220+tax. The practice, however, shows that it tends to run more expensive than the estimate, perhaps due to its electronic Hobbs. Taking N32392 out would be the most expensive, $1600, but it is also the fastest aircraft available for me. This presumes, of course, that I modify Jay's proposed schedule and only stay for 1 night.

It looks that I could swing it. The problem for me is that I already committed to an aviation adventure in Hawaii in December. Already scheduled to check out in a 172, etc.

Last edited:
*puppy eyes*

Oh wait, I just realized that if I flew up to Denver to join you, my rental would sit idle, and the mandatory flight time per day would run up the bill to the point where it's the same cost as going direct (last time I took N7342J to FTG, it was $1021; plus 2 days of 3 mandatory hours: $780).

I made a few calculations. The theoretically cheapest for me is N28GX out of SAF, only $1220+tax. The practice, however, shows that it tends to run more expensive than the estimate, perhaps due to its electronic Hobbs. Taking N32392 out would be the most expensive, $1600, but it is also the fastest aircraft available for me. This presumes, of course, that I modify Jay's proposed schedule and only stay for 1 night.

It looks that I could swing it. The problem for me is that I already committed to an aviation adventure in Hawaii in December. Already scheduled to check out in a 172, etc.

And it's only $139 RT ABQ-DEN on United. $349 DEN-CRP (Corpus)

Back