Mustang Beach Airport - Port Aransas

Lowflynjack

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jack Fleetwood
Interesting post on Facebook from "Mustang Beach Airport - KRAS".

It starts off saying:
City Manager was wondering if he'd catch hell for keeping the airport closed indefinitely so AEP can set up a working yard there.

Locals say YES!! Go ahead, sir.

For out of town folk, sorry... Get in your car and drive down.

Ok, we get it. Although there are plenty of other places in town to stage the electric company, you made a decision. However, when a few local pilots said they needed to keep it open as a resource, and to help get supplies in, the tone changed.

I'm sure if supplies are needed via airlift, he'll make exceptions. But purely for folks to come in to looky-loo or check on their "second homes" ain't happening.

If y'all wanna complain, give City Hall a ring (when the phones start working.).

But don't expect a whole lot of sympathy: the guy lost his house, is sleeping on a cot in his office and hasn't had a shower in a 5 days. That's no joke.

I get that the residents of the town are tired. They have faced a lot and have a long way to go. To randomly attack pilots like they caused this is an interesting approach. The complain about those checking their "second homes" is also lame. Do the owners of these "second homes" not contribute to the economy of this town? Maybe a town that gets all of it's income from tourism should reconsider who they let post on Facebook as their representative.

https://www.facebook.com/PortAransasAviators/

Well, to be honest though, if you are still in the midst of search/rescue and recovery efforts, I wouldn't really be to enthused about people trying to cram in to check on their vacation homes, either. Sure, they contribute money to the economy with their taxes and such, but priority one still has to be with local full-time residents and business owners. Once everything has dropped out of "crisis mode" for infrastructure and turned into re-building in another week or two, I'm sure they will be more welcoming to those seasonal residents who are coming down to see what their insurance company is going to have to do.

Interesting 'us' vs 'them' mentality.

And a later post to clarify: The airport is covered with shingles and roofing nails. Cleanup is a relatively low priority. So it's not in shape to be used as an airport anyway. Why they didn't include that in the initial post I have no idea.

And the last comment (when I looked) "Flying in is how I get to Port A. I guess they don't need my business." I'm pretty sure they have no place for your business right now anyway.

Well, to be honest though, if you are still in the midst of search/rescue and recovery efforts, I wouldn't really be to enthused about people trying to cram in to check on their vacation homes, either. Sure, they contribute money to the economy with their taxes and such, but priority one still has to be with local full-time residents and business owners. Once everything has dropped out of "crisis mode" for infrastructure and turned into re-building in another week or two, I'm sure they will be more welcoming to those seasonal residents who are coming down to see what their insurance company is going to have to do.
I can agree with most of that, but there is no search and recovery efforts there that I know of.

And a later post to clarify: The airport is covered with shingles and roofing nails. Cleanup is a relatively low priority. So it's not in shape to be used as an airport anyway. Why they didn't include that in the initial post I have no idea.

And the last comment (when I looked) "Flying in is how I get to Port A. I guess they don't need my business." I'm pretty sure they have no place for your business right now anyway.
That was my main point. They can shut the airport down if they want, but the original posts were pretty rough and sounded like they were complaining that people wanted to use an airport as an airport.

Seems they're adding facts about the airport not being in shape to defend their original attitude. Say that, and only that, would have stopped anyone from being upset.

Meh, easy for me to complain sitting here with my coffee and dry clothes. Let the dust settle on ground zero before we start to pile on. People are in crisis mode and expecting perfectly crafted PR messages from public officials at this point shouldn't be the expectation.

Meh, easy for me to complain sitting here with my coffee and dry clothes. Let the dust settle on ground zero before we start to pile on. People are in crisis mode and expecting perfectly crafted PR messages from public officials at this point shouldn't be the expectation.
I'm not expecting the perfect PR message. I'm sure this guy was getting pressure from pilots outside of Facebook before he started the thread. I posted this because one of our regulars here has mentioned they are not a town friendly to GA, refusing to let the airport grow. On top of that, whoever runs their Facebook page didn't start off by saying the airport was closed because it is covered in debris. They started off by saying, "City Manager was wondering if he'd catch hell for keeping the airport closed indefinitely so AEP can set up a working yard there." Sounded to me like they're trying to start a fight and the tone of later responses backs that up.

I knew posting this would frustrate some and some would say it's not a big deal. For a city to keep an airport closed "indefinitely" so someone can setup a working yard, when there are plenty of other places to do this in town, should concern us all in my opinion.

WE (PoA) have some good friends right by that airport. Many of us would fly down and help for a day anytime they ask.

What kind of dunce would not expedite opening the airport so that people can bring in stuff to assist residents, Full or Part-time?

The roads are going to be an issue for weeks. Even carrying groceries in the back of C-152 would be a tremendous help to those impacted.

One of my co-owners in the club is a "second home" person there. EVERY day he can't get in is another day the damage is unmitigated and the time and cost of repair goes up.

It's unlikely I'll ever understand the thinking of some people.

[Sorry to have called someone a dunce. They are probably only misguided on this]

The people of SE Texas have been suffering over a week, and are beyond burnt out ... cut them some slack boys. Any of us would be willing to fly supplies, blood, etc., but remember they have some extreme basics we take for granted that are non-existent. With nails and other debris, I'd bet the first AC that lands there gets a flat ...

WE (PoA) have some good friends right by that airport. Many of us would fly down and help for a day anytime they ask.

What kind of dunce would not expedite opening the airport so that people can bring in stuff to assist residents, Full or Part-time?

The roads are going to be an issue for weeks. Even carrying groceries in the back of C-152 would be a tremendous help to those impacted.

One of my co-owners in the club is a "second home" person there. EVERY day he can't get in is another day the damage is unmitigated and the time and cost of repair goes up.

It's unlikely I'll ever understand the thinking of some people.

[Sorry to have called someone a dunce. They are probably only misguided on this]

Or, it could be that the city manager and the folks from the utility, who are on the ground and are very aware of the situation, and have come to the conclusion that the airport is most valuable to use as a staging area, and that the resources needed to reopen the airport so that a small number of people can get in or bring in a small amount of supplies are badly needed elsewhere at this time? Really, reopening the airport is towards the end of the priority list. As for your friend's house, sorry but that's what happens when there is large scale devastation. My inlaws's home was struck by a tornado a few years ago, and even that comparatively small area that was damaged took weeks to clean up. Something like a barrier island will be just that much harder to get back in shape because of the limited road infrastructure. I know there are a number of people on this site who think anyone connected to any governmental body must be incompetent, but it's been my experience that most have some training and experience and do a better job than someone that doesn't have either.

One of the things that the emergency responders always ask of the general public in these situations is to stay off the road as much as possible, as it hinders the cleanup effort.

Living in Austin our three club planes can fly to Port Aransas automatically without human intervention, they go there so often. I call that trip the 'super date'.

But it wouldn't occur to me to complain to Port A that they are slow opening their airport. They really have a lot on their minds right now, and don't need me distracting them. I'm sure the airport will open back up when it's time.

Something like a barrier island will be just that much harder to get back in shape because of the limited road infrastructure.

My point exactly. Getting the roads in shape will take much longer than reopening 3500' x 70' and some parking to allow people to help.

My point exactly. Getting the roads in shape will take much longer than reopening 3500' x 70' and some parking to allow people to help.
The roads have to be repaired/maintained to get the utility crews in. While it could be useful to get the airport in shape there are alternatives nearby that make it a lower priority. Of course using the airport as a storage yard shows that the mayor thinks it has little value as an airport. Particularly so since there is much more utility work to be done in Ingleside/Aransas Pass/Rockport and storage there is convenient to the island.

What I found funny is the mayor's choice in sleeping and hygiene. I'm sure he could find accommodation in Corpus Christi and certainly instant availability is not required in Port Aransas.

It's just counter intuitive to me.

Clearing the runway to get 1000# of supplies in at a time takes far less expense and time than opening the roads which were previously described as problematic since "it's just a barrier island"

The city should open the fastest access point first, and then work its way out.

Clearing the runway to get 1000# of supplies in at a time takes far less expense and time than opening the roads which were previously described as problematic since "it's just a barrier island"

If the airport isn't used to bring in supplies or the supplies aren't particularly useful then it's pointless. They need utility poles, overhead wire, and transformers. They need equipment to set poles and stretch wire. In Jay's case he needs siding, roofing, wallboard, doors, and door frames. The airport doesn't really help with any of that.

Airlift is wonderful for life-sustaining supplies. Rebuilding supplies, maybe not so much.

Maybe a good landing-craft or LST would be really handy...

Airlifting supplies to an area without functional roads to distribute them is folly.

If the airport isn't used to bring in supplies or the supplies aren't particularly useful then it's pointless. They need utility poles, overhead wire, and transformers. They need equipment to set poles and stretch wire. In Jay's case he needs siding, roofing, wallboard, doors, and door frames. The airport doesn't really help with any of that.

Airlift is wonderful for life-sustaining supplies. Rebuilding supplies, maybe not so much.

Maybe a good landing-craft or LST would be really handy...

+1. They need big, heavy stuff, things that come in by a tractor-trailer. A few Cherokee 6's worth of stuff isn't going to get the island put back together.

They are going to also need heavy equipment and lots of dumpsters and trucks to haul out, or rearrange, all the damaged buildings and vehicles, too.

Their updated status as of 2130CDT is the airport is open during daytime, but use at your own risk.

The guys who have that FB page run the jump school. That is the only real business on the field I know of. There is no FBO in the traditional sense, although the jump school helps people out a lot.

I can't find any information that says the highway from Corpus and NPI is closed. The highway from the ferry landing over to Aransas Pass appears to be closed however.

There is new home/condo construction just to the SW of the airport, and that's the direction the winds came from, so stands to reason the place would be a mess.

Maybe the best thing aviators could do is organize a FOD walk down the runway.

Their updated status as of 2130CDT is the airport is open during daytime, but use at your own risk.

The guys who have that FB page run the jump school. That is the only real business on the field I know of. There is no FBO in the traditional sense, although the jump school helps people out a lot.

I can't find any information that says the highway from Corpus and NPI is closed. The highway from the ferry landing over to Aransas Pass appears to be closed however.

There is new home/condo construction just to the SW of the airport, and that's the direction the winds came from, so stands to reason the place would be a mess.

Maybe the best thing aviators could do is organize a FOD walk down the runway.

Jay posted htat they were having dinner in Corpus last night so I believe the road is open.

Even if the roads are out, a jonboat can carry about as much cargo as a Cherokee, and there will be way more of those available (even after the devastation) than aircraft.

Cherokees are not going to significantly help this situation. It's reasonable to think the airport footprint could be put to better use during this crisis time. If air transport could be beneficial, then national guard helicopters are more likely to be the vehicle of choice, and they don't need a runway.

It's reasonable to think the airport footprint could be put to better use during this crisis time. If air transport could be beneficial, then national guard helicopters are more likely to be the vehicle of choice, and they don't need a runway.

Give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile. Literally. You wanna close some airports? Just wait for a weather episode and put reopening last on the priority list. "We'll open it someday, when 'everything else' is back to normal"

I thought I'd seen it all, but we've got pilots here saying storage is the best use of an airport? What the ****?

Give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile. Literally. You wanna close some airports? Just wait for a weather episode and put reopening last on the priority list. "We'll open it someday, when 'everything else' is back to normal"

I thought I'd seen it all, but we've got pilots here saying storage is the best use of an airport? What the ****?
It's called a rational response rather than a knee-jerk reaction or spin-doctoring. Maybe one pilot said that using the airport as a yard might be good use. Definitely not pilots saying it was the best use.

Most recent post.

Mustang Beach Airport- KRAS
13 hrs ·
Airport now open during daylight. Use at your own risk. Yes, I know that's 3 different status changes in 24 hours, but these decisions are being made my folks who lost EVERYTHING except their job and likely haven't had a shower in 6 days. So their job is really *really* hard right now...

See my previous post about the field's overall condition. Y'all come on in to check the damage to your vacation homes!
I wouldn't get upset about the tone of what people post immediately after a disaster in their area...

Good, better, best.
Next, later, last.
Temporary Closure, Indefinite Closure, Permanent Closure.

These progressions are real concerns.

[You think Santa Monica will ever re-open if they find an excuse and precedent?]

Yes, I'm a pilot. I've lived through hurricanes before. For at least a few days, but for some folks maybe weeks, it can be closer to a war zone than to civilization. Even if your house hasn't been seriously damaged, there's literally nothing you're used to having: No electricity. No water. You're told not to flush the @#$%& toilet for crissakes, because there's no sewage treatment plant to take it, and it'll probably end up in somebody's living room downstream. There are no stores selling food, or gas, or anything. If you're lucky, someone gets a big truck close to your flooded neighborhood to hand out emergency supplies.

And you're concerned that the GA airport is closed? Seriously?!?

If you've never had to live in a hurricane disaster area, you *haven't* seen it all.

Good, better, best.
Next, later, last.
Temporary Closure, Indefinite Closure, Permanent Closure.

These progressions are real concerns.

[You think Santa Monica will ever re-open if they find an excuse and precedent?]
They may be real concerns, but they're still lower-priority concerns than rebuilding basic infrastructure. There's no reason to think this closure is going to be permanent.

Just because doctors in crisis situations perform triage doesn't mean they're leaving the lower-priority patients to die.

The airport is open to day operations now. The ferry is for emergency personnel only for now. The road to Corpus is open and the only way to get on the island by car now.

Flying in supplies may be the only logical way to get in now. There are many gas stations running out of fuel and that is preventing people from driving down for the fear of getting stuck.

I've flown into KRAS a dozen times. They had more boats in the few hangars than airplanes. If the hangars were destroyed I wonder if the boats floated and are still usable.;)

I thought the same way.
The fastest way to get emergency supplies in would be via air, especially with the car gas shortage around.
I also live just a flight hour from Port A and wanted to offer my help by delivering water, medicine, other needed supplies but was informed that the mayor "gave" the airport to a private business to use as they please.
That logically struck me as odd. My first guess was that this was misinformation and that the airport was closed for safety due to debris or other damage that would pose threat to aviation. However, I received reports from multiple other sources, confirming that it was the mayor's personal hatred that closed the airport. Especially the verbiage on FB seems strange.

I don't care about the personal feelings of city personnel. I thought they would welcome disaster relief help from the outside, not make enemies with public Internet stunts.

I expect Jay will come in and straighten us out when he is done taking care of his hotel. Hoping that they suffered only minimal damage.

Back